SOLVED: Paulownia Imposter?

Norton, MA

Hi, I live in South Eastern Massachusetts. This popped up behind our fence a few years ago mixed in with other vines and prickers. It grew probably 25' the year it popped up. That first year, my husband cut it down in the fall along with all the other weeds. The next spring it popped up again and grew just as fast. We haven't cut it down the last 2 years and it has added maybe a foot or so to it's height since it's initial growth spurt. Based on a google search I thought it was a Paulownia, but it has never flowered. You can see it's leaves grow in pairs, opposite each other. The leaves vary a bit in size, the largest being WAY bigger than my hand, some smaller than a grape leaf. Any thoughts on what this thing is?

Thanks,
Joann

Thumbnail by Joann9 Thumbnail by Joann9 Thumbnail by Joann9 Thumbnail by Joann9
Norton, MA

Trying to bump this back to the top.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I wonder if it might be one of the other species of Paulownia.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Check on Catalpa... colors can throw me, but it is either one of those two. Sometimes plants have to age before blooms...

This message was edited Aug 24, 2018 1:49 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Looks like classic Paulownia tomentosa to me.

Cut a healthy branch off, and lay it down somewhere (sidewalk, driveway) where you can clearly photo the various plant parts. Texture of leaves, petioles, conformation of leaf scars, buds, etc. all can easily separate Catalpa from this one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.