SOLVED: Identify plant growing in water

Longmont, CO

I found this plant growing in a local waterway. I've never seen it before, but it looks pretty nice. Given the rate it's growing, I'm guessing it's invasive, but I'm trying to figure out what it is before 'panicking'. See attached photo.
Thanks in advance (btw - first post, so if I'm doing something wrong, just let me know).
Brett

Thumbnail by brettacook
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I think that's Pickerell Rush. https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1239

Rome, Italy

I had also thought of the Pontederia cordata but I had excluded it because, to what I know, its leaves can be yes rather variable:
- cordate (heart-shaped with backward-facing rounded lobes), or sagittate (arrow-shaped with backward-facing pointed lobes)
- lanceolate (lance-shaped; widest below the middle and tapering at both ends)
- linear (very narrow with more or less parallel sides)

but not oval as I seem to be those of the plant to be identified and they also seem to have a different consistency (fold down).
Unfortunately, the leaves do not stand out well in the link mentioned.

Longmont, CO

Thanks for the thoughts on what it might be, but I'm skeptical. The ones I'm looking at are very dense and low-lying. They also do not have as sharp of points on the end of the leaves, nor do the leaves stand vertically. I could find no pictures that look like the ones I'm looking at.
The plant above is only about 2 inches high, so I don't think it fits into the rush category.
Any further thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Rome, Italy

The only plant that seems to me to resemble yours is Veronica beccabunga, try to take a look in Google especially comparing the flower that in the attached image is not clear.
(try to check also the Veronica anagallis-aquatica, 2nd photo attached)

Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.