DECEMBER Challenges/Projects/Organiz8ng ourselves and sharing our love of sewing, all welcome..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Itís absolutely beautiful LIndakay, someth8ng udlive to make.what size are the blocks, allhalf triangles right? I bought last Sunday the half block ruler to square the blocks, what accuracy using it.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Blocks finish at 10 inches. Yes, the tree is half square triangles. Easy to do, just takes time to square them all up.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Very nice Linda. I'm sure missing sewing. It'll be a while yet.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is why you need that ruler LIndakay..

What size do you cut your half triangle squares before starting to sew them get her to make triangles.

As you know Iím bored, so this morning I did the top to the pillow I did Sunday that I felt look too pale, Sharon thought maybe she would change her day and come today, she hasnít called to say if she is coming or not so think Iíll go downstairs and finish it.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2018 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Couldnít put binding on like I did on first one as I did it with scraps and didnít have enough, but itís a pillow. Lol

Only eleven, going to run to liquor store and pick up a case of wine so I can fill the last of the Christmas wine socks then have lunch.

Saw a video on a no sew Christmas ornament, am sure youíve all seen them, will try my luck with glue gun 🤪

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Good morning sewists and quilters. Please allow me to introduce myself. Iím a retired ER nurse (41 years) who decided a couple of years ago to learn something new. I took some sewing lessons from the local quilt shop owner and then learned the basics of quilting and Iíve been a sewing monster ever since. Iíve made it my mission to try to make all my family members a quilt and even make some baby quilts for great grandchildren who havenít been born yet. That way Iíll leave some mark of my life behind when Iím gone.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think sewing would turn on an interest for me. So much so that my precious DH is currently converting our 2-car garage into a sewing studio for me. He purchased a Koala Quiltmate IV for my Bernina 770QE to live in. I already have a Tailormade Eclipse cabinet which is actually too small for the Bernina as I have to hug the corner to sew. Once moved into the studio my Bernina Vitruosa 160 will go into the Tailormade cabinet. I have a cutting table work station and a drop in table for the 1951 Singer Featherweight sewing machine he bought for my birthday earlier this year. Iím enthralled with that precious little machine. I love the sound of the mechanics of it. It makes great stitches and I like to piece small items with it. Thereís something so comforting about just sewing, no bells, no whistles or beep beep beeps to wonder about, just press on the ďgasĒ and go.

If I may, I would like to join this group and hopefully learn some things along the way. Iím all for instruction and any tips and hints people can give me. I want to improve and get into being able to do more complicated work. I would call myself a cautious intermediate sewer if that helps categorize my skill level. One day I would like to learn to long arm. I see how beautifully quilts become just from the long arming and that would be a wish come true for me.

Thank you all for your consideration of my request to join this group. 🌹

Victoria Harbour, ON

Goodness Babs you are more than welcome and yes quilting becomes addictive as Iím sure youíve learned already. Hope you share some of your projects..a, sure we are all at same level in sewing.

Iím playing with no brainer just to keep myself busy today, did a quick 12Ē machine Applique pillow and a no sew Scandinavian snowflake..you know me, the sparkle queen, I decided to add sparkle, as I hadnít added sparkle to anything i decided to add some to the snowflake, shouldnít have but that ok..itís just playing and I donít need more Christmas decorations so Iíll puy it on a present.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Bettypauze, thank you for your reply. I'm most grateful to join the group. Thank you!

That decoration you made is stunning! I love it!!! I will post a photo or two later as I need to download photos from my cell phone to the computer. I don't believe DG has a direct access photo attachment like other programs have.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Iím not sure Babs, Iím the least technology savey
Know when photos are one on my iPad I can post.

Like the darker pillow better

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oops forgot photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Welcome to the group Babs.
Betty, I cut my squares 4 &1/2 inches, then sewed, cut and trimmed. The half square triangles came out to 4 inches finished.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Got to take a photo of my new ruler, was $27.98 +tax but worth every penny..girls just left, tired so will do your squares in the morning and take photos

Girlsmade snowflakes, enjoyable evening.

Welcome Babs, I used to watch an eagle nest on Whidbey Island. Was out there once many years ago, the year Mt St Helens blew her top. I'm a quilter also, I mostly make Quilts of Valor for Veterans except when I'm sewing for a new baby coming. New greats coming one any time and she has a quilt. Next is coming in March. We just moved from MI to TN so sewing room is still a shambles. I'm also a Bernina fan I have 4 of them, the newest is my 930 bought new in 1985 and is my everyday machine.

You'll find we are for the most part a friendly group, glad you found us.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Welcome Babs - you're most assuredly welcome.
Betty - what a wonderful way to use the embroidered Santas you sent - pillows! I have lots of red Christmas fabric, and pillow forms. Thank you for posting!

Yesterday I spent 6 hours on the phone getting our friend's phone issues resolved. Not completely done yet, and actually some hours were spent chatting online with one of the companies. On the plus side - I am now on his account as authorized to speak for him - cell phone, old landline phone company, and new landline phone company AND the crossed lines where someone's phone was coming through to him ("no, Janice doesn't live here, Doug does. This is Janice's dentist? We hope that Janice's phone # rings through to her tomorrow. Please try her then").
We went to the mall for awhile, and I walked through the mall on my cell phone. Then we went for dinner and I was on the cell phone then, too. They did a "call back" to me, and yes, I was sitting down in the restaurant when they did - I ate dinner through the call.
Another plus - Doug took full responsibility for the complete mix-up. He knows he can't hear well enough, and he's too proud to admit that he doesn't understand what's being said by fast-talking salespeople.
We were away from home for 12 hours - 2 of driving, 6 talking to people to resolve his issue, and 2 shopping for ourselves. By the time we got home it was 10pm and I was drained.
Because I'm on his account, I could deal with the rest today, at home without him having to be present. Poor Doug though - HE looked emotionally drained, but he was also very thankful that we came to the city to look after this for him. He knows he couldn't straighten out this, and he didn't know anyone else he could trust to have his best interests at heart. 💕

Victoria Harbour, ON

Karen, wonít be long you will have your sewing space and weíll say, look at her goĒ lol

Susan, god bless you for getting all straightened out for Doug.

Itís sister day today, well will be unless she changes her mind..heVy rains from the city to here..she has 2 large throws she wants quilted today, have to see.

Having coffee then will head downstairs and tidy up before she gets here.

Victoria Harbour, ON

LIndakay, justto show you how easy it is to trim

I cut 2 squares 4 1/2Ē
Sewed down corner to corner
Trimmed off 1/4Ē
Set my trusted ruler to size of block I wanted...wanted 4Ē line so set ruler on stitched line
Trimmed excess off and perfectly squared block

Ruler does 1/2Ē increment as well as even numbers

This message was edited Dec 21, 2018 8:19 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I need to look for that ruler. Thanks.

Victoria Harbour, ON

After 51/2 hrs of quilting Sharon left for home with her 2 Christmas throws quilted

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Those are beautiful!

They are indeed beautiful. Looks like Ziggy approves.
We are in MI. Long trip, heavy traffic and hard rain. With all that it was uneventful.

Sweet Caroline came through like a trooper. Amazing how resilient kids are.
Last but not least, Great # 19, Sara Jo-Ann, waited for us to go out of town to make her debut. I'll get to meet her soon.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2018 11:51 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Congratulations Karen.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone! Wow, so much happening and so many affected by less than wonderful life events. I don't check in often enough to stay current, but know that I do think of you all often and hope and pray for the best for each of you.

With that said, Welcome Babs! Sounds like you are going to have an awesome sewing area. I think you and I are about the same skill level.

Betty I am always amazed by your handwork. I actually like the lighter pillow best, but both are stunning. Love the star ornament too.

Karen, she is so beautiful, congratulations.

I am off work until Thursday the 27th, maybe I can find my sewing machine and actually sew something during this time!

Later then, Sue

Victoria Harbour, ON

I would think Sue the last thing youíd want to do after working on everyone elseís projects is to sit at a machine lol
Wonderful to be off for a few days, will you get same for New Years?

Every year I give the kids something handmade, didnít this year and guess who is feeling guilty lol sooo when I was in town this morning picked up pillows to make inserts, on my 4th Victorian embroidery panel, they donít take long so Iíll have something homemade for them..crazy right

Well bummed. talked to a woman for a long time yesterday while travelling. She had just the embroidery machine I was looking for at a good price. I told her I would buy it and could we make the arrangements on Monday. This morning she told me she sold it.The search continues....

Victoria Harbour, ON

What kind are you looking for Karen?the next few days are great times to buy new at discounted prices..I saved a mint by buying a Husqvarna 2 years in a row at husqvarna dealership at Joannís on chris5mas eve while in Florida..dratsíknew there was another reason I missed going to Florida this year!

This message was edited Dec 22, 2018 2:02 PM

Sorry to hear that Karen.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Early morning, sipping on coffee and enjoying the trees, will head downstairs and play with those pillow tops as Iíve nothing else to do.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Speaking of Santaís elves

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Ziggy always willing to help.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Beautiful. Betty - whether it's yours or your students, all the work coming out of your studio is stunning!

Betty I'm not looking for a new embroidery machine. I mostly want it for making my own quilt labels. They look so much nicer than the ones just filled in by pen. I have an older one now but it's no longer compatible with my computer. Plus I'd like at least a 5 x 7 hoop. This one only has a 4 x 4, too small for a decent label. I can't really spend more than about $500. The one she had was a perfect fit besides being a Bernina which I'm partial to.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Susan..

Sorry she sold,it Karen, you will have to keep looking, one will come up for sure..maybe reach out to places that sell them, they might take one in on trade, especially this time of year.

Santaís Workshop closed yesterday lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Santa's workshop may be closed, but knowing you, you already have a list for next year.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Taking the last of the Christmas presents to hand deliver - Bob made a knitted scarf for each of 2 ladies at The Bargain Shop, and I have an "Angel Wing" decoration for a friend/neighbour

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Well Betty, at least it is sitting at the machine!! A Big change for me. Did 3 pillowcases and am working on a shirt for my DH, boy has it been a long time since I made a shirt, seem to have forgotten how!!!!

Karen, seems like I am always a minute late or a dollar short... sorry about missing the chance at the Bernina.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Family just left, wonderful day..

Got $$$ to buy something special, boys thought a sewing machine??? Nope donít need one of those lol am surely find something that interests me..

Everyone loved the homemade part of their gifts..of course Greg and Jeff had to measure quilts to see who got the bigger one, shaking my head

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Merry Christmas to one & all! Hope your day is everything you want it to be 😁💕

Last night we went to our friend's for Christmas Eve. Today we went to the Legion for their Christmas Day dinner. It was lovely.
Both times we took our neighbour Carol with us. She enjoyed "hanging out" with us, and of course the dinners!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds wonderful Susan.

I had a full day yesterday and even got a nap in..

Today Iíll head out to back shed and bring in totes..time for me to start putting Christmas away. What is next?? oh yes, Valentineís Day lol

hooe your day was filled with excitement

Iím trying to decide when to go tpstateside, used up most of my Christmas fabric so time while sales are on and Christmas bolts on the shelf to stock up..Christmas is coming you know (arenít I bad) lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds wonderful Susan.

I had a full day yesterday and even got a nap in..

Today Iíll head out to back shed and bring in totes..time for me to start putting Christmas away. What is next?? oh yes, Valentineís Day lol

hooe your day was filled with excitement

Iím trying to decide when to go tpstateside, used up most of my Christmas fabric so time while sales are on and Christmas bolts on the shelf to stock up..Christmas is coming you know (arenít I bad) lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bob & I were asked to undecorate the Senior's hall, and then re-decorate it for Valentine's Day. We'll get the keys from someone to do that.

This season is bitter-sweet. Today I woke up to the 1st anniversary of my mom's passing. Last year we celebrated Christmas, and the next day we grieved. I know she's in a better place, and happier & healthy, but I do so miss her.
33 years ago my Dad passed on Dec 12th, so for years it was a sad time of year. I still miss him, but it's a softer, gentler grief. My mom was 98, down to about 65 lbs and didn't have any quality of life. Because of this it was easier to let her go.
Spending a quiet, reflective day today.
I'm working on a prayer shawl for the church.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.