JANUARY challenges,projects, organizing ourselves and ideas sharing of ideas!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1493857/

Happy New Year everyone..

Only been 2 days into the new year and Iím full of ideas and better still full of ideas..

Girls came today, got them both started on a quilt top amd rag quilt..I had the periwinkle quilt to work on but got busy in other things..we want to make jar opener squares us8ng the rubber shelf liner, doesnít move well sewing so ran into Barrie for Teflon foot, going to check if it works.

Wasnít going to go into Barrie but wouldnít you know coffee machine broke so went and got a new Cuisinart coffee maker.

Pat wanted one of those thread units that attach to thread spool holder, they were out and not sure when they will come in so I impressed Pat and made her one out of wood..works so well Iíll have to make them for all my machines lol

Took out my Valentineís Day fabric, have 2 projects in mind, not sure which to make, your thoughts

This message was edited Jan 2, 2019 4:33 PM

This message was edited Jan 2, 2019 4:33 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I love both of the valentine projects.
What is the middle photo?

Thanks for the new thread.

Victoria Harbour, ON

The red plastic unit is one is bought, the wood one I made. Where normally your spool of thread is put on the white spool holder but canít put a large spool of thread this stick of sorts is put on spool holder to hole thread..pat messaged it works wonder on her machine

Iíll take photo when next downstairs

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy New Year everyone! I hope this year gets better & better for all of you 💖
We had a quiet NYEve, just the two of us snacking, watching tv & enjoying some wine.
I got my hair styled on New Year's Day, & my nails done. Bob got his hair cut. Then we went to a Potluck dinner, and Totally overate, of course 😁Everything was so good!
Went shopping today, got some more wool - burgundy velvet wool, by Bernat. 3 balls should make something.

Glad you had a good celebration Susan.
Betty, is there a brand on those holders? I have never seen them.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Need 2 more rows on periwinkle top, could just add borders but think Iíd like the size better adding blocks vs borders.

In the meantime I like having little projects to do so I decided to make grip pads to open jars etc, good way to use up more scraps..bought heavy duty shelf liner..made one then decided they were a little harder to use as a square so made another folded piece to be able to insert your hand..works well..only drawback is if you turn the piece inside out and want to machine sew the opening left for turning the feed dogs or the foot wonít glide so came up with using my scrap dissolvable from embroidery projects..I cut them in 1/2 inch strips, put them on the edge of the piece, sew, trim, wet them with hot water and leftover dissolves.

Hoping these help

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

LIndakay itís called a Thread Stem

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Thanks Betty. Can you post a photo of it on the machine with thread?

Thanks Betty. Can you post a photo of it on the machine with thread?

Oh, never mind. I googled them and found the site. 3 for $10.00. Not bad.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just in case it didnít show ir

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Rather than a thread stand for large spools of thread Iíve been using soppy cups..the 2 stands I do have I rarely use

Thanks.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wanneta came last night, she started her wedding quilt and was thrilled..she is kplike a kid in a candy store...fun to show her what I know!.

Nothing to do today so think Iíll work on periwinkle quilt and maybe decide on which valentines day quilt to make.

Nobody picked one for me to do, so guys itís up to me lol

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would mind if I joined your group?

I started sewing and quilting a couple of years ago after retiring from a 41 year career in the medical field. I also crochet, do counted cross stitch and I enjoy for the most part cooking and bread baking. I'm always open to learn new skills. The only sewing I'd really done prior to retiring was to hem, sew patches on my husband's uniforms and mend a seam or so, but really had no true sewing skills.

When I retired I took sewing/quilting classes from a quilter/shop owner where I live and got the bug. Oh, my did I get the bug. I truly enjoy quilting and sewn crafted projects I find tutorials online to teach me techniques.

I would dearly love to sit in on this group and hopefully learn from you folks. Thank you!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Babs you are more than welcome to join in..what kind of quilts do you enjoy making?

Glad to have you join us Babs. Would love to see some of your quilts.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Welcome Babs! Glad to have your input here. Like Betty, I'd like to know what kind of quilting projects you do - lap quilts, wall hangings, bed quilts, or something else?
I like cooking, baking & bread making (although not as much as I'd like), as well as ice cream making!

Susan

Thank you for the welcome ladies. I'm very happy to be a part of the group. I hope to learn lots from y'all if you're of a mind to share your secrets, tips and hints.

So far I've been making mostly quilted items such as table runners, toppers, quilts, throws, baby quilts, market bags with insul-brite for cold items, shopping bags, walker organizers, tool caddies, pillow cases, wall hangings, zippered bags, etc. I'm thinking about venturing into some clothes making but I'm not sure I'm good enough to attempt that yet.

Here's a Pins and Paws quilt I made for a friend who is disabled and loves cats. She is a purple person. The cats are made from 1930's flour sack replica fabrics.

I'll try to post a few more later.

Thumbnail by BabsERNurse
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Babs - that is an awesome quilt! Is it hand or machine quilted?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Babs,Just love that quilt..colours are so bright..where did you find these retro prints? Bet your friend was thrilled to get a treasure..not sure how much we will help you,perhaps you will be helping us lol.

Got all housework done, even have a stew in slow cooker and now Iím free to play all day..only task not done is putting all the Christmas quilts 8n air bags and set them away but that can wait.

I so need to get the periwinkle quilt done so I can get back to winter solstice quilt, Tis winter after all lol

Any projects just sitting around waiting for you to get back to them?? Bet not 😃

Babs, I love that quilt.
Missouri star quilting on YouTube has a lot of easy tutorials for quilting.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Working on quilt top and just finished embroidery for the reading pillow

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

That is beautiful.

Victoria Harbour, ON

7 more periwinkle blocks left to do but your truly is tired, maybe a nap is in order.

Meant to say, remember my aunt/uncleís 70 wedding anniversary

ďWe still doĒ married couple with canes? Well when visiting my 97 year old uncle he was wrapped up in it..says he is closer to my aunt who passed away a year ago December..sure warmed my heart that it is so treasured

Victoria Harbour, ON

7 more periwinkle blocks left to do but your truly is tired, maybe a nap is in order.

Meant to say, remember my aunt/uncleís 70 wedding anniversary

ďWe still doĒ married couple with canes? Well when visiting my 97 year old uncle he was wrapped up in it..says he is closer to my aunt who passed away a year ago December..sure warmed my heart that it is so treasured

Victoria Harbour, ON

Their photos

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Beautiful couple and quilt. It always makes me feel good to see the quilts I made in use.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, I remember when you posted that pic of your Aunt & Uncle - so sweet.

I got some Bernat Velvet (#5) & trying to think whether I want to make a sweater or a dress with it. It's beautifully soft and so pretty - burgundy. I bought some just because. Used to knit with it back in the 70's I think. Only WalMart sells it at the moment. Tried Fabricland & Michael's - they don't, nor does our local craft store (quilting & yarn)

Betty, that embroidery is stunning! I love it. The quilts are perfectly lovely and I love the photos of your Uncle. Beautifully done my dear, pure loveliness.

I would like to try embroidery some time. I actually have a Bernina 770QE machine and can add the embroidery module at any time for a grand. When I purchased the machine I was offered either a second Bernina 330 or the embroidery module and opted for the 330 to take to classes. When I see items like yours, that reading pillow block makes me wonder if I made a mistake. Should have gotten the embroidery module but never thought I would care to do embroidery. My quilting looks pathetic next to yours!

Linda Kay, I use Jenny Doan's tutorials all the time from Missouri Star Quilt Co. I can understand her well and I have a touch enabled screen on my laptop so I can sew right along with her.

Tallulah, I like Bernat yarn also. I am able to get it at JoAnn Fabrics at least on the mainland here. Not sure if you have one near you or not. Unfortunately our WalMart is a pathetic excuse for one and the crafts section is an embarrassment. You can hardly ever get enough skeins of any one color to do a project and the colors that are available are icky. Not even some baby yarn for anyone wanting to make a baby blanket. I think what happens is the employees know when the supplies are coming in and they hoard them in the back and buy them all and what's left is what gets put out. Sad.

Well ladies, we're in for another gale. It's expected to hit around 0400 so I got busy and made two main meals in the Instant Pot today and put them in the fridge in case we lose power. That way all I have to do it heat it up and not have to cook. The last storm two weeks ago we lost power all over the island and were out for 4 days, the south end of the island was out for a solid week. Keep your fingers crossed for us we don't lose power this time. Winds upwards of 60-70 mph predicted with gusts up to 80. Dang. Grateful we have a generator.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Babs, hope the storm didn't make it 8nto your neck of the woods..

I didnít buy an expensive embroidering machine, maybe $1,500. Would I like a more expensive one, maybe a few models up but for all the embroidery I do this does me.

Nobodies quilting is any better than anyone elseís, I too am envious of some quilts seen but you know what just the thought that I finish them and learn from each quilt makes me proud and am sure all feel the same.

I live on my own so have so much time on my hands thus I get a lot done.

Susan, Iím sure you will come up with mega plans for your wool before you finally decide what project you will undertake.

Today is a paining day, so much so Iím using the chair lift grrr

Did shopping this morning, what little housework I had, did air bags filled with Christmas quilts and now itís time to play.

Did buy the pillows so I can use the batting within for reading pillows, have that to do and more sewing of blocks..that will keep me out of mischief

Take it easy and let that hip rest. Did you ever see the Dr about possible surgery for your neck?

Good morning!
We made it through the storm unscathed. Thankfully the worst of it his the Seattle and surrounding area more so they took the brunt. As of an hour ago >300,000 were still out of power.

I woke up at 0144 when the first winds came slamming in. There was actually thunder & a single lightning strike and hail that lasted for 20 minutes. The winds were powerful, around 57-60 mph for the most part according to our Davis Weather Station. We have an aerometer and wind direction indicator up 80 feet on a tower so we get fairly accurate readings. We lost power just for a moment but it came right back on, so I'm counting us lucky for once.

I'm being lazy this morning. I suppose I'd best be getting after something, even if it's wrong. Take care all, enjoy your day no matter what you're doing.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Babs - my name is actually Susan. Tallulah is a nickname from when I used to act in a children's theatre 😊
I got a whole bunch of mixed wool - types & colours - from church today, for knitting more prayer shawls. I took all that I thought could make one. This means my quilt is again sitting aside while I knit prayer shawls!
Tonight we're going to a Ukranian dinner - A Taste Of Ukraine caterer books the hall every January and although we've never gone to her dinner, we have had her catering.

Glad to hear the storm missed you. I have a niece in Seattle. I hope they are ok.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I hope your niece is ok, LK

Me too.

Thank you Susan for telling me your name. I ask forgiveness in advance if I mess up your name in the future. It takes me a bit of time to get people's names straight. I used to live in Montana back in the 70's and would cross up into Alberta to Calgary. I think where you live is farther north and east of Calgary, is it not? Alberta is God's country, very beautiful. And the buildings, oh the beautiful buildings! I hope you have a wonderful time at the Ukrainian dinner. Good food!

LK, I hope your daughter is OK too. No reports of any bad issues other than power being out. I just looked on my Puget Sound Energy app and most of the power is back except in a few spotty places like Redmond, Bellevue and SeaTac area. The rest is more in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. I'm not sure what area of Seattle your niece is in but it is possible she may still be out of power.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Not a problem, Babs - until you get to know people, we will NOT be testing you on names lol
Yes, we're 1 hour NE of Calgary. We moved from Calgary 2 1/2 years ago (where did the time go?!?!) and couldn't be happier. Love the rural community. We're also home to the World Famous Gopher Hole Museum!
I'm a fan of Alberta's mountains more than the buildings! I find the buildings to be too modern & cold. I prefer the vintage & victorian buildings in Winnipeg, actually.
Dinner was great - so much food, and so tasty!!

Thanks for the update Babs. She lives on the east side of Seattle.

Glad to hear you had a good dinner Susan.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Freezing rain warning here, stay inside Day...

Didnít get much done yesterday, sciatic nerve was ohhh so painful so couch was my best friend.today freezing rain warning so if sciatic nerve doesnít act up itís a sew sew kind of day. Just sprayed the entire left side with freeze spray so here is hoping.

Glad you enjoyed your outing Susan..

Babs, Iíve been all over USA but not the Canadian west, are you close to British Columbia? Must key in your location to see where about you are. Glad the storm didnít have impact for you.

LIndakay what is your quilting group making?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.