Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

JANUARY challenges,projects, organizing ourselves and ideas sharing of ideas!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Hello gals!
I'm very happy to make your acquaintance Karen. DH's family is from Maryville, TN. He went to high school there for awhile. I can certainly understand you moving from MI to TN. We've even toyed with the idea of moving to TN. DH's cousins are still there and they get along quite well. I was living in Port Orchard when Mt Saint Helen's blew her lid. I'd just finished mowing the yard and when she erupted I thought maybe one of the ships in the shipyard at Bremerton had exploded. We lucked out, the ash fell everywhere around us, Port Orchard and the island both missed the mess. I did go collect a lot of it though south of P.O. and made pottery out of it. I mixed it with a clay I was using at the time and made a lot of coffee mugs to sell. Speaking of eagles, we've got several nesting pairs right here where we live. DH was out for his walk this morning and was witnessing a lot of aerial acrobatics. They've been screaming a lot in the mornings so they're declaring their territories.

Betty, all that thread! What a blessing you got! I love seeing your projects, they are so beautiful!

Border Patrol, welcome aboard. I'm new here so I'm not a good resource for much. These ladies are pros as you can see.

I'm still waiting for my studio to be finished. DH has bid requests out for someone to come blow insulation into the attic above the garage. Then he'll put in the new water heater and the final two cabinets to be built, one over the washer/dryer and the other over the freezer and I'll be able to start moving my machines and the 3 sewing cabinets and machines out into the studio. I'm trying to be patient but it's getting hard not to want to be out there working on projects.

Linda Kay, how are you holding up? Weather treating you OK? What are you working on these days?

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Weather was beautiful today. Still 65 at 7:18 PM.
I am working on on denim rag quilt a lady ask me to make. She gave me all the jeans and flannel for the back. She wants it queen size. So far, I have the jeans all cut and squared up. That quilt so far weighs 28 pounds. I told her she has to take it to a laundromat to wash, as it will ruin her machine.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

She should wash the rag quilt several times at the laundromat. Tell her to watch for signs too as some of the laundromats are not allowing them.

Babs, quite a coincidence your hubby is from Maryville, TN. My great grands go to Heritage Middle and High schools in Blount County.
I really enjoyed watching the eagle nests on live cam until I lost the link. I also watched them in VA. We had one close to us in MI. I never did find the nest but the eagles were in the area often, once spending an afternoon in our yard watching the beach. I do believe they were snacking on a squirrel too.

Linda Kay, I hope you post photos of this denim quilt. I'm excited to see it. I've thought about making one but I'm kind of a chicken to even start something like that. I have an acquaintance that wants me to take a quilt of her father's tee-shirts. I wouldn't even know how to go about doing such a thing. I think I might be looking through YouTube to see if I can find someone who's done such a thing with tee-shirts and figure it out.

Karen, it's an odd thing. Sometimes when I go out for a walk I'll find leftovers of critters, mostly bunny fur from the eagles. When I go down on the beach I find fish ad crab bits and if I'm there just at the right time, there's a special rock they like to land on just around mean low tide where they eat their catch. I'll have my photog hubby pull up some photos he's taken and I'll post them here sometime. He's got a few that are exceptional of eagles skimming the water and snagging a salmon.

Betty, you've given me something to think about. My granddaughter's could use reading pillows and I might have to quilt up something for them. I'm not an embroiderer like you but I'm sure I could do a transfer onto a blank panel then incorporate that into the bag. She's really into Princess and Darth Vader.

To make a tshirt quilt, you need to iron a good stabilizer on the back of the tshirt. It keeps it from stretching. Then quilt as usual. I will post a photo of the denim quilt when I get it done.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Babs, I make a lot of T-shirt quilts. My best aids, I had my local glass repair cut me templates of the sizes I use. Mine are all based on 4" plus 1/2" for seam allowance....
4 1/2 x 4 1/2, 4 1/2 x 8 1/2, up to 16 1/2 x 16 1/2. I also have a press for the interfacing. I use the thinnest iron on Pellon I can find.
I've probably made over 2 dozen T-shirt quilts. This is one of last years. I like the different sizes of the block for added interest but they can all be made the same size.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

LK and Karen,
Karen that quilt is beautiful!!! I love it!!!
Thank you ladies for telling me how to do this!!! I've wondered how it could be done. I have a pressing machine still in the box awaiting the studio to be finished so I can unpack it. I have a bolt of Pellon too so I could try something like this. When I get to the attempt to make one, I'll use some of the DH's old tee shirts to experiment with. That will give me a reason to cull out his tee-shirt drawer. 😉

Great idea about the templates Karen. We have a glass shop here and I'm sure they have plexiglass they could cut for me for templates. I appreciate the information, thank you!

I was able to score a bolt of muslin yesterday. A neighbor was at a garage sale and found a full unopened bolt of muslin for $10 and she nabbed it for me. I use muslin to make drawstring sacks to keep quilts in. When I make a quilt I always make a sack to store them in so they stay clean.

Well, I'm off to find some sort of trouble to get into. It's too bight and sunny for me to get outside today so I'll have to find some other mischief to stir up. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and nice weekend. Prayers go out to those dealing with the awful storms.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2019 10:12 AM

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Templates shouldn't be too expensive as the shop can use scrap pieces. I put a cutting mat inside the Tee and cut it about 1" bigger than I need. When I cut the pellon, I cut it about 1/2" bigger. after I press it to the back of the Tee cut out, I use the template to center the design and cut it to size. I know it seems like extra work but I get designs the correct size this way.
Laying out is fun, like doing a big puzzle. I try not to have too many seams meeting evenly. Just keep moving around until you like the look.
By the way, it doesn't have to be just tee shirts. I've used sports jackets, baptismal towels, basketball jerseys, anything will work. If it's not stretchy, it doesn't need the backing.

Karen! Thank you so much for all this information! I'm so tickled. I've opened a blank Word document and I'm copying all this information from you and Linda Kay. I'm ever so grateful to you both for being so gracious and generous with your knowledge.

Victoria Harbour, ON

All such great ideas you are all sharing.

LIndakay look forward to seeing your rag quilt..do you use accuqypuilt to rag?
Think as Karen says a lot of laundromats are getting wise to those washing rag quilts in their facilit8es.

Wasnít sure Iíd go to Cookstown, an hour drive in good weather..was to have stayed until 4pm but I could see bad weather move in so left...I did get the jist of it..
As for the burping cloth, oh my goodness, itís just too adorable, likelya mom wouldnít want to use i lol, Iíve fabric to make another 2 or 3, like be8ng able to do more than one th8ng when,earning something new as it sticks in my noggin..

As for the Valentineís Day hearts did one then left so tomorrow Iíll make more and add them to an piece and quilt, I would think it would make a table Matt..

Off for hot bath, pain killers and relax..carrying that machine and supplies does a number on my shoulder.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2019 3:46 PM

No die cutters here. The squares I cut are 8 inch. The die cutters are like 6 inches. So when I get the blocks together, I will have the pleasure of clipping all those edges.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't have the faintest idea what has happened. I lost a thread or two, then when I found them, I do not see ANY of my posts!

It's cold and damp, I'm having trouble with getting warm and keeping warm. Damp is always hard on me.

The flooring came and it was the wrong stuff so I have NO idea when I'll finally have my sewing area back again. My son says he is going to have an intervention arranged for me if I have any more remodeling projects. I am sick of construction dust and trying to keep all my equipment and thread safe and dust free.

I need an attitude adjustment. I NEED to sew.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought my dies are larger than 6Ē, have to check, have a few rag dies, forget what smallest is?

Glad you found us Pat, think you were posting all on best and worse lol

They are right, take some time for you before you take on another project unless itís sewing lol

Lordy Iím ready for bed lol

Think Suzanne my sister in law might come for her first quilt lesson
She bought fabric at least 4 years ago, all gong ho, we. Cut fabric I remember and that was that, canít even remember the design 🤣

Was going to look for the design but heck, likelihood of her coming early tmr morning is highly unl8kely so wonít worry about it.

Had a yen for hamburger tomatoe macaroni, so making a fair pot of it that way I wonít have to cook tomorrow...going to eat then calling it a day

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Babs - not all of the people here are pros - I most certainly am not, although I play around at several different crafts I do so at a beginner to intermediate level.

Pat - glad you found your way back to us. Sorry your posts went missing!! LOL on your son's intervention! Don't let him talk to my hubby about my reno projects!!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda the Accuquilt dies for rag quilts come in 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 sizes.

Betty can you tell me the brand and model of your embroidery machine?

Victoria Harbour, ON

No pro here either..thus reasons for classes..what we do have is a live of sewing and live of other mediums..I do trumpet líoeil painting and stained glass.

Not an Expensive one for sure Karen, my janomeís are the money ones...itís a Husqvarna Jade 35

Had a friend. D then Melanie drop into check to mKe sure Iím ok and not in hospital, Mel said Greg called her a few times to check upon me..I told Sharon the other day I was going to class, well she started calling all around because I hadnít messaged her of my where about..shaking my head..know they all worry but Lordy donít panic if Iím gone 4-5 hrs.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2019 5:21 PM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2019 5:22 PM

Ya, I remember chewing my parents out when they left town and did not tell me!!! That was back before cell phones. At least now, with text messaging and cell phones, no one has to be "unreachable". Both of my parents have passed away now. Mom 2009 and Dad just 10/2018.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, cell phones have their uses........ just not many lol

I remember when we were having a small family "do" in a relative's, about an hour NE of Winnipeg. Leaving Winnipeg, my Dad was driving, and it didn't look like he was going to turn so my mom said "Turn right here". He did - turned right instead of left and ended up near the US/Canada border lol Wasn't funny at the time, because it was before cell phones, and we were anxiously waiting for them to arrive. They were 2 hours late because they had to drive back to Winnipeg, and THEN North.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Great stories but Lordy only gone for a nit.
Have a cel, hate them, meant to take it with me but everyone knows I donít carry it so wouldnít think of calling it..I know, good idea to carry it in the winter just in case..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Brrrr we have a feels like temp of -33 this morning
Glad I can start my car from inside..Iíll do so a few times to keepbattery charged, not planning going out but if I do want a car that stat..thing these new cars can withstand any cold but not taking a change.

Got all of my house chores done, even supper is ready to warm up so it play day in the craft room.

You are off today because of Martin Luther King Day, while having my coffee Iím going through my photos of visiting dexter church where he was pastor in Montgomery Alabama, will share a few..Iím still as overwhelmed looking at them as I was visiting his church, sitting in his chair etc

So what will you do today..looking forward to you all sharing photos

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Starting to take out Valentineís Day pieces, the bed runner, Iím sure was from block swaps as I donít remember making these blocks, likely one of the blocks you made?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Starting to take out Valentineís Day pieces, the bed runner, Iím sure was from block swaps as I donít remember making these blocks, likely one of the blocks you made?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Must get to $$$ store and see if they have red potholders, I remember taking the hanging piece off and just sewing hearts on it, likely I didnít give a few of the girls one..remember adding chocolates to it and it made a cute little valent8nes day gift without any sewing effort.lmust go look through last years sewing thread

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, I don't recall making Valentine's day swap blocks. Those are beautiful.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I donít think the runner was Valentineís Day blocks.,think red was the theme, I just output them in a runner for my bed.

I had those chenille hear blocks from Sunday..just scraps from over the years re Valentineís

Suzanne told me when she saw them on Sunday that they were meant for placemats sooo I measured what I had and ended up with tops for 4 placemats, have to cut width down a rad, went by my oval ones, might adjust..as I said didnít have enough scraps to be created..

Victoria Harbour, ON

What do you think this weight is for?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Holding your pattern down??? hehehe

Victoria Harbour, ON

No but close

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

holding down quilt templates?

HOLDING DOWN ZIGGY???? hehehe

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yep Susan,

When I cut 24 inch length I have to keep moving my hand so that the ruler doesnít move a tad so you put the weight on it and voila no bad cuts.

Smill8ng here, just know someone is going to ask why I donít use that spiffy ruler I bought that was almost $100 amd can have widths of fabrics changed to accommodate all sized cuts.... drats I keep forgetting I gave one..should be using it rather than the weight right lol

Does that ruler work good?

I would have trouble using the weight my hand is so weak and painful. They have a nerve conduction test scheduled for next Monday. It is possible that they will need to remove the prosethic joint. I should still have most of the functioning that I have now after it heals with less pain. The recovery period is not as long as the original surgery. We'll see, no sense worrying about it.

I should learn more about your new ruler and see if it would help me with the cutting straight.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes, ruler works extremely well, donít need to put pressure on ruler when cutting lengths of fabric..going to keep it on cutting table and use..had another I bought that had a cutting tool attached, never really used it as this one was ordered shortly after,

Me thinks I have wayyy too many tools

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Info

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

The other, but I find you need strength for it

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a paper cutter much like your lower pic. It's great for photos and such. Uses rotary cutter blades.

I found what I hope is a good deal on an embroidery machine. Picking it up tomorrow. The price is great and includes a ton of accessories including two huge containers of embroidery thread. I have been looking at this machine as being a good one for what I want it for. Being realistic, I also located a good highly rated machine repair shop right here. The seller did say she was having a problem with it breaking thread and why the price is lower. I don't see that as a real problem and have worked with enough machines that I'm sure it's no biggie. We'll pick it up tomorrow and as we still are waiting on a sewing room, will have plenty of time to play around with it and get it in tip top shape. My other machines very seldom have to go to the spa as I can usually handle what ever tweaking they need. I got one that was so totally gunked up it didn't want to run at all and managed to get it humming. I used Hoppe's Gun Cleaning Oil to de gunk and lubricate the innerds.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh happy days Karen, likely tender loving care will do

WAY TO GO KAREN!! Great way to get a bargain!! We sold our Cherokee jeep simply because didn't have the time and health to do the repairs, buyer got a HECK of deal. The blessing of having SKILLS!!! Ben's got the skills but no longer has the health.

Good morning ladies! I hope all are well and looking forward to another day.

Betty, your sewing is so beautiful! I love those blocks. Thank you for the link to that cool ruler you have. I use a weight as well when cutting 24" lengths of fabric. I'm going to take a look at those rulers. Maybe it would help me?

Karen, that's awesome that you picked up an embroidery machine. I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce with it. Good job on the deal.

Pat, so sorry to hear of the issue with your hand/wrist. I feel for you. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I totally get your pain with not being able to use your hand properly. I've slacked off on sewing for a bit, having some issues with my right wrist hand myself. I've put myself back into the wrist brace for now just to splint it and give it a rest. Thankfully I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that will do the kneading for me when I make bread today. I just can't knead like I used to anymore.

I'm off to see what kind of trouble I can get into today. You all have a lovely day and I'll check back in later. Toodles!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.