JANUARY challenges,projects, organizing ourselves and ideas sharing of ideas!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I mainly wanted an embroidery machine so I can make my own quilt labels for the Quilts of Valor. I do make a baby quilt for each new great grand and it's fun to personalize them too.
Picking up the machine today then will try to find enough to play with it. They have made a mess of all my sewing supplies. I can see it taking me a month or more to get it back in order so I can find stuff.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Babs thing the ruler would really help you as you can move slide ruler to different strip sizes and ruler has grip,donthave to use much energy when cutting.

Yummy, what I would give for 1/4 lb of butter and hot bread out of the oven..

Oooh, just remembered I took a pork roast out of the oven..

Iím multi asking today..2 challenges

1. Top of secret pillow
2. unicorn pillow (trying to match fabric colours)

Snowing again..did do my shovelling so I can play lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Betty, thank you so much for the info on the ruler. I've just ordered one. I think you may be right about it. I do struggle with rheumatoid arthritis and there are days when my wrists hurt so badly I can't do any cutting. I do use an ergonomic Olfa rotary cutter which does help to transfer the bulk of the pressure on the wrists. I'm excited to receive it and start using it. I ordered the 6" wide x 23.5" ruler as I use that width more often than the 8.5" x 24" I have. The snow is so beautiful but I'm grateful I don't have to deal with it honestly. I love snow, I love the quiet hush it gives to everything, that stillness. But I don't like to deal with it. I've gotten too old and decrepit to handle shoveling anymore. The unicorn fabric is so cute! ANd I see you're working on the secret window panel. You're going to love it!

Karen, new machines are always an adventure. Just trying to figure out what all they can do is so time consuming but at least you won't be bored while learning all the little details. I'm glad you're so handy with machines. Makes it much better for you not to have to rely on someone else to fix things or get them in shape to run properly.

I'll check back with y'all later. I've got bread proofing and it's close to baking it. I'm thinking I might pull out some stash fabrics and make a couple of those tube pouches for storing and dispensing the plastic grocery bags. We have a new neighbor next door and I noticed she didn't have one in her kitchen and I caught her color scheme so I should be able to wrangle something up. I need one too. My old ones have given up the ghost. I bought them probably 20+ years ago in Ohio on a visit with family. I love their craft fairs they have there. All the beautifully made Amish items. Oh my! Toodles!

This message was edited Jan 23, 2019 9:14 AM

This message was edited Jan 23, 2019 9:15 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Accomplished my 2 ďto doĒsĒ so happy with that..donít have backing for the panel, means a trip to Barrie on the weekend. As for the unicorn, nope, wonít do it again nor the dragon from same company, by far too much embroidering, like more Applique in hoop so will have to go in search of girlie patters BUT I persisted and got it done anyway.

Got the pork roast done so how I wish I had your bread Babs

Sure hope you arenít disappointed with the ruler.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Had entered incorrect design and ended up with the Christmas piece I wanted to foppish for the carollers this year, decided to let it embroider out..this was yesterday, got a Xmas one done

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Wow Betty, that secret window panel came out perfectly and so did the unicorn. But I would expect that is your baseline, perfection. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing them with us. I don't think I will be disappointed with the ruler. I'm sure it's pretty good. I looked through that online website and found some very nice items. My birthday will be coming up and I just might have to show them to the hubby as a suggestion. He's really good about picking up on my "hints" for gift items.

And here you go, a loaf of potato bread just for y'all.

Thumbnail by BabsERNurse Thumbnail by BabsERNurse
Victoria Harbour, ON

Just finished eats, that would have been so tasty Babs.

Smilling, used to do same with hubby, now with only kids they know give money as mom likes gadgets lol

Tired, guess Iíll have hot chocolate then get comfy in bed, donít want to fall asleep this early but want to get comfy....think the shovelling and sewing today itís plum tuckered me out!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful projects Betty.
Babs, that bread looks yummy. Wish I could hold out my hands to get a piece.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I was going to tell you that the unicorn one was my favorite until I saw the Christmas one!! THAT one is a perfect fabric combination, stunning!!!!

You know I am really struggling and feeling guilty for working on admitting my husband to a rehabilitation facility so I can have a respite but nights like tonight, it can't be soon enough! He KNOWS I have asked him to be IN the bedroom with his medications taken so I can unwrap his leg and prepare for bed.

So I get home from one night a week to meet up with Sister, quick food & errands. Where is he? Not home, out getting himself food. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Forget this, I am headed to guest room. He can sleep in his wraps tonight.

Aww, thank you LindaKay and Betty. I appreciate your kindness. LindaKay, I'd just give you a loaf if we were near each other.

I love baking bread, it's therapeutic for me. I love working the dough on the days when I'm not hurting and even when I am, there's something magical about bringing a mass of flour and other ingredients together into a nice smooth textured dough. And the smell! I love the smell of yeast. When I need that feel of home and comfort, it's the yeast that does it for me. I think because my mother always baked the breads we ate, I remember that smell and coming home from school to that smell and a nice still warm heel of bread with butter smeared on it was pure heaven.

Y'all have a good night. Blessings on everyone! ♥

T.T.F.N. 🌛

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg Pat,know itís easy for me to say but you cannot in any way feel badly about trying to find a home for Ben for a few weeks/months, you need to recoup your strength or you will both be in a home amd not just temporarily...hugs
How is your sister doing?

Babs, my grandmother raised me, we like you only ate handmade bread, Lordy her raisin break was tasty..she Patton her knowledge of baking pies but for some reason not bread, maybe I didnít show an interest.

LIndakay were there many at quilting?

Karen was it yesterday you were to pick up your embroidery machine..what make?

How is the knitting going

Sue, likely itís quieter for you since everyone wanted their quiltsquilted, are you able to get some sewingand quilt8ngon your own..

Morning chores done for the day, no shovelling but must get to Foodland and buy salt for pathways as the girls come tonight and itís glare ice, besides I need sweets lol

I saw the cutest project a few weeks ago, bought the embroidery for it so might give it a try to fill in my day..have no dimensions for it so it all will be guess work

There were 4 ladies at quilting. It was a nice group. We all got to know each other a bit more. One of them has been there for about 3 months, she is a beginner quilter. She has lots of questions, and we are happy to help her. She brought a friend that has been quilting for years. Says she has more than 60 quilt tops she has done that needs to be donated somewhere. She will bring some next week.

Victoria Harbour, ON

omg LIndakay..that many quilts and not quilted?

Back from town, ice salt spread now I can start the me day..sniffling,say it isnít so lol

Betty the machine I got is a Brother, I think about 5 years old. I didn't want and can't afford on of those big fancy ones and my needs are not enough to justify. Going to play with it today and see where we stand. The older one I have was just fine if I could have gotten a bigger hoop and it would have worked with Windows 10. It still sews very well. Might just give it to one of the grands to play with as it doesn't really have any sale value.

Ohhhhh homemade bread....something I could just never seem to master. One grandfather was a navy cook and made the most wonderful yeasty bread. He stayed with us for a while after my grandmother passed and I asked him to show me. Well...he said to get 25 lbs of flour and about 20 yeast and it went all down hill from there. He poured flour, added water and yeast and mixed a while then added more and never measured anything. I ended up with a kitchen full of wonderful but still no idea of how to make it. I was never satisfied with those frozen loaves you bake at home and a bread machine didn't do it for me either. The taste and texture was never quite right. I can just close my eyes and remember the taste and smell of a big pot of bean soup and a warm loaf of homemade bread slathered with butter.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Karen you are making me hungry, mouth watering..
Brother is a good make, likely just tender loving care is needed..
My Janome 9000 had small hoop, if you remember I was so sad when main board went and I could get it replaced..big sigh!

Well I have the writing part of my project done, now for 2nd design
Using scrap fabric till I get the design made to perfection..

Can you guess what it will be?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oops forgot photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Can't imagine what it is.
Karen, I hope your machine works good.

Betty, sounds like a solo sock to me! I remember years ago being at a friends house while she was sorting laundry. 4 of our boys were best friends, I looked at her mismatch socks and brought home lots of matches to my kids' socks! who knew?

Ben finally showed up after 10PM, McDonalds is just 3 miles down the road and it took him 2 hours to order and eat a lousy hamburger. It was well after midnight before I could calm down enough to sleep even WITH a sleeping pill. I am done, case manager can find permanent alternative housing/care facility. I can't continue this.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yep, pattern for sock a tad bit to small, was my trial run, Iíll enlarge and do another

Pat you have to do what is best for you and likely in long run will be good for Ben.
What does his children say, are they supportive..hugs

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Ziggy helping Wanneta out..

Janice and Helene couldnít come tonight under the weather so will come Monday morning

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

*Gentle Hugs* Pat - Betty's right, getting proper care for Ben will help you both. No way can you keep up this pace and caregiving without hurting yourself. You don't need to stress yourself out mentally OR physically.

Betty - beautiful, as always.

Babs - I agree, making bread IS therapeutic, but so is knitting & sewing, so I make my bread in a breadmaker 😁

The machine works just fine. I played with it today and am very happy with it.

Pat, my heart aches for you, Hugs my dear and take care of yourself.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2019 10:19 PM

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Yep Betty,
it has been quieter for me. Quilts are starting to come in again, but not the large numbers like before Christmas. Haven't gotten much sewing done at all. Seems there is always something that needs to be done on my free days. Was down in the back for 4 days, finally getting back to 'normal'!

Been having quite a bit of snow, I am opening the shop tomorrow since the boss lives in the country on a road that hasn't yet been plowed.

Pat, take care of yourself, those high levels of stress are not healthy.

Karen, so glad you got a machine and it works well.

Later

Karen congrats on learning in your new machine! How exciting. Some day I'll take the time to learn the machine given to me.

Thanks for the support, I know I have to do this, but it is HARD. His kids are supportive. I have always felt they were ecstatic having me take care of him, freeing them from any responsibility. My sons are worried sick that I WON"T do it. They know the struggle it has been.

I love that bag.
Pat, I agree with the others. It would be nice if to get him into a facility.
Karen, so glad to hear your machine works.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pat, once done you will see just how much stress youíve been under, would be different if Ben was helping himself..start the process sweetie!

Karen, wow, maybe she just didnít take the time to learn how to use it and got frustrated, good new for you..so what will be your 1st piece..lots of label design to start with.

Sue you must be getting all the snow we normally get, although this week itís coming down.glad you have a bit of reprieve time, pick something and enjoy sewing.

Yes Susan, sewing,knitt8ng etc is therapeutic, we are lucky to be able to do them

Well today is the day I do the muskoka chair block of solstice quilt so lots of playing with cut outs,snow in the air so a good day to play.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2019 6:41 AM

Betty, I mostly think she has just gone on to other things. She included a huge box of fabrics...those will probably go to the grand girls to play with, probably a hundred sheets of stabilizer, rolls of solvy, a tiny iron???, hundreds of pre-wound bobbins, and about 70 spools of embroidery thread. Her price was about the same as other machines like this but the extras are amazing, 4 boxes full. It works about like the other Brother I have so I wasn't worried about her thinking it had a problem. I mainly wanted the larger hoop and the USB port. There is also and even larger hoop available that I might go looking for.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds like a great buy Karen, what is the size of hoops you now have?
We crafter ten to do that, move on to other loves, works out perfectly for you.

I keep telling me with all the $$$ I put into stained glass, equipment,supplies, glass scroll saw that I really should go back and make some Xmas gift and use up glass,in fact, maybe Iíll make March/April glass months.

I did all the snow, front,back, and down to shed, came in and decided I needed to wash upstairs floors on my knees.itís ok to use the mop but I fine once in awhile a good wash is what is needed, have half done, other half will get done this afternoon...even made it to foodland for muffins,,

Am hurting but nothing meds wonít help..

Organized fabrics as the solstice panels inter change fabric thatmes with each month, traced about half of what is needed and have been playing cut outs..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Heavy snow and squalls, yuk no sense going out to shovel today

good day to be in playing cut outs.. just now finished cutting, wondering if Iím energetic enough to now make the panel

What have you been up to today?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I finished the lapquilt for our friend Anne - she gets so cold, and we're visiitng them in Calgary tomorrow.
I also am working on the prayer shawl for someone from our church - 6ft 5" and 300lbs - yeah, needs to be a very large one. I tried to find the same colour as the wool that was donated to do it, but got close only. Oh well, it will be do-able, although the teal is not exact. I may put white between the two teals, make it look planned lol Or maybe just the two teals...... when I finish this, I'll see how long it is.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The lapquilt

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's another block in the lapquilt

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

I love that you tied them Susan, she will be thrilled...love the blue maple leafs

Big sigh, still snowing and blowing

Decided to wait until tomorrow to put cut pieces on blank slate..just too many pieces to do at this time of day..going to take a page out of your book Susan and look for the neck warmer I started before Christmas..neck takes forever for me as Iíve knitting machines that would take 1/2 hr vs days but enjoyable sitting and fingering the wool.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Do you do double knitting, Betty? Knits up faster - just make a bigger headband.

Double Knit Headband
Sizes: Measures 18 1/2 ď around and 3 1/4Ē deep, stretches to easily fit
22Ē head. To adjust size, increase or decrease CO in multiples of 4 stitches
for every inch.
Materials: Cascade 220 (100 g, 220 yds,) 1 skein of Main Color (MC) and 1
skein of a Contrasting Color (CC) (wool worsted yarn - size 4)
One 16Ē, size 6 circular needle.
Gauge: 17 stitches & 28 rows over 4Ē
Notes:
Basic Double Knit(with 2 colors): With both yarns *hold both yarns in
back, knit 1 with MC, bring both yarns to front, purl 1 with CC*, repeat
around. This will result in the MC being on one side and CC being on the
other side.

Reverse Color Double Knit(with 2 colors): *Hold both yarns in back, knit 1
with CC, bring both yarns to front, purl 1 with MC*, repeat around.
Head band: With MC, cast on 156 stitches using a long tail cast on. Join.
Rounds 1 - 4: Basic Double Knit (After these 4 rounds are knit, you have
the MC cast on and 4 rows of 78 stitches of MC on one side and 78 stitches
of CC on the other side.)
Striped section:
Round 5-7: Reverse Color Double Knit.
Rounds 8-11: Basic Double Knit.
Rounds 12-14: Reverse Color Double Knit
Rounds 15 Ė 18: Basic Double Knit.
Break off CC.
Round 19: *With MC, knit 1, slip 1 with yarn in front. Repeat from *
around.
Round 20: *With MC, Slip 1 with yarn in back, purl 1. Repeat from * around.
Bind off: With MC, P2tog, *p2tog, pass 1st stitch on right needle over
2nd stitch , p2tog, repeat from * to end.
Finishing: Weave in ends.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Susan, no I donít for the neck warmers becaaause they Are doubled at neck for me to sew deerhide onto them

Thanks for pattern though,mY try it, just need wool..still knitting on those 3 ponchoís for nieces..perhaps they will have them by this christmas

Odd wonít let me add photoís, says there are no photos

This message was edited Jan 25, 2019 4:29 PM

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Hope you don't mind me butting in for a question, ladies. Has anyone ever made a One Block Wonder quilt? I was wondering if you need a special ruler to cut the triangles or can you just use whatever ruler you have? A friend and I are going to do our cutting tomorrow and neither one of us has a clue as to what we are doing, except to watch youtube videos.

Love all the projects that you gals do.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ruth you are always welcome and someone always willing to help if they can..

Did table runners using same method..you really do need a 60 degree rulers,for cutting..these ruler also have 1Ē increments, some have 1/4-1/2 as well, depending on size of block you want.

I.emif you cut your strips 4 inches then you would place the ruler on the 4Ē mark
Then you cut watching not to move the fabric,turn your ruler to cut another, this way you get the most cuts in your strip.

In the,morning I will look for my ruler and show you

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hadnít turned off lights/tv in craft room so went down, at same time looked for rulers

I must have liked the ruler as I bought 2 pkgs lol
My son cut me a 9 1/2 template for giant size block..when I want for example a 6Ē template I get tape and mark it off with green tape..

You can see on your regular ruler the 60 degree marking, would be so cumbersome folding fabric in half to use it and a lot of waste.

Maybe one of the other girls can offer more info

So pretty out after a storm

This message was edited Jan 25, 2019 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks so much for the info. I will have to dig through my rulers to see if I have a suitable one. Sometimes I forget what I have. Kind of excited to start a project.

Hello Ruth, I agree with Betty, a 60 degree ruler is needed. The YouTube videos are very helpful. Your fabric has to be pressed, even starched will help. It needs to be lined up and pinned. Some will stack 8 layers, but you will need a good sharp rotary cutter. Most will stack 4 layers, as the fabric won't move as much. Place your ruler and hold it firmly when cutting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.