Best/Worse/What did I learn today, visit with friend old/new..all welcome to join us chat!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..brrr old temps here and colder on the weekend..still watching weather to see if Iíll go to Cookstown tomorrow for my embroidery class.

Sky is dark and heavy, roads are not plowed as yet so good day to stay in.

Pat, that was good news bad news for you, yep bad news it wonít be done this weekend but good news is maybe you can just put around and enjoy some of your 4 day weekend. Iíve attached photo of the dragon..he was fun to do just takes forever.
From same company purchased a unicorn, nothing pressing on my agenda today
So maybe Iíll try it.

Susan how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Of to see what I can get into

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Verona, ON

Morning all !

Snowing here and it is really building up.Then we are supposed to get hit with a goodie tomorrow. Latest news yesterday afternoon was the worst of the Sat storm would miss us ..... this morning the wallop in the forecast is back but not as bad a Debbie is going to get.I need to move the Escape out of the way so Dave can plow.

If I send a parcel to the US will the border hold it up due to Trump's furlough ? I know your postal service is working just fine.

My old hippie penchants are showing....lol I bought a diffuser in which I put lavender oil. Lavender has a very calming effect on me. I used to rub lavender oil on Duke when he started to go off the rails. I find it quite relaxing. What I didn't know was the diffuser changed colour every min it or so. In the middle of the night I found the switch to shut the light off I have a sweet dreams oil I will try in it too .I've been using the oils for a few months now and haven't mentioned it. I like them. I have some neat bracelets that have lava rock in them that you apply the oils to.... I gave Hailey a 16 year old down the lane a bracelet and a diffuser ring plus some migraine oil which she says really helps her. Yep I am an old hippie!!

Stay safe and warm.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2019 10:57 AM

This message was edited Jan 18, 2019 10:58 AM

Lyndonville, NY

Dianne, mail is normal, no hold ups there. Post office is self sufficient and unionized so not tied into the shut down.

Yes, we are supposed to get walloped by this storm. Is a "fine line" which way the wind blows we will get either about 10"....or 20" if it turns slight north. AND also another "lake effect" due in Sunday from another direction from Canada. The Temps are to be severe, about 10f to - 10 area...with wind chills even less.

Dianne Shannon's new car is a 2016 Escape, and she loves it. I did also riding with her. Be safe

Waving to all. I need to run out and get a few things for this weather to keep me busy. Lord help me going to clean and organize refrigerator.

Debbie

Verona, ON

I was more worried about customs at the border.

Have a mother of a headache but it is not a migraine. And for that I am thankful. Diesel is in full take care of mom mode and is busy licking my forehead.Going to try and lay down for a bit. But I am torn as I need wood in.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dianne, you have secondary heat??maybe you could use that vs bringing in wood..hoping headache doesnít last too long..kudos to a Diesel for looking after you.

Debbie, here is hopingthe storm takes another route and you are not affected as badly as they are saying.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty what embroidery machine do you have? Your work sure looks pretty. I'm just so unsure of what machine to get.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Betty, I tagged you on Facebook. That site is offering every embroidery design for $20.00. Get them downloaded.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2019 9:14 AM

Here is the link.

https://embroiderysuperdeal.com/shop/get-everything-for-20/

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

That is a great deal Linda.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

It's been very foggy the past few days, and lightly snowing (very pretty at night, walking). Getting colder for a bit, but then will be above zero again, as of Sunday.
Still working on the baby wool prayer shawl - takes 2 weeks, vs the 4 days with blanket yarn. Hopefully we'll get some $$ donations at the church, rather than the baby wool donation we had been getting. It seems the second we bring one, it's brought to someone in need, so we never have time to wait. We have an older congregation, and with age comes a new reason for comfort & prayers. Add to that the fact that we only have 2 of us knitting the prayer shawls. Trying to keep up with the need.
Bob & I are going for "training" at the bowling lanes tomorrow, and as of Wed will be volunteering 7-9pm every Wednesday.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, we got snow! Around 6" at noon today. Supposed to get some more overnight, then temps are supposed to drop to highs in the single digits for most of the week. It's the first snow we've had this year, and temps have been above average for us, so guess I can't complain now that winter has finally arrived.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Of course you can complain! It's snow, it's COLD!!! (but it won't do you any good! LOL)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, extreme cold warning on for the next week, infact I just started the car as per their winter tips..start it a couple times today, keeps the battery charged, should do so more if you donít plan going out for a few days. Thank goodness our car keys on newer cars have built in car starters so we donít have to go out and brave the weather in order to start our cars.

I put some recycled items into garbage bins outside and talk about cold..only a skim of snow overnight, not worth Andrew coming to plow.

Suzanne said she would come this morning to sew, but highly unlikely she will lol

Susan, they sure know who will use the wool for good cause, too bad it all isnít heavier weight.

Deb you got that storm blowing through, you are right so far out winter has been an easy one, i for one am glad itís starting to be our regular winter that way all our seasons can get to the way they are suppose to be.

Ziggy is crying to go out, will let him out but am sure heíll want in within minutes.

All my household chores are done so guess itís either relax or go downstairs and get into something lol
Had a terrible painful night, was up most of it so maybe now Iíve taken meds and sprayed myself moving around will help a bit..hands need some movement as well..

As Pat just said, we can complain but doesnít mean things will change 😂

What special are you do8ng today?

Just being lazy today.
Did Suzanne show up today?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well this is the time of year to live in Las Vegas. 64 degrees F. today. Low tonight about 49. We did have a freeze about a week ago for two days which hit a few plants.

I currently have my hands full with taking care of Vern. He is not in realty and is somewhere back about 60 years. Looking for his 56 Mercury that he had when he was in College. I walked in the patio door the other morning and he wanted to know why I was there. He had moved in but he didn't think I was coming. In his mind he has been moving for close to a month. Usually only happens at night. Sun downer. He is getting weaker. He will be 86 on Feb. 1st. But he is still eating good and we are just taking one day at a time. That is why I am not on here much but I do lurk everyday and silently tell Betty to behave and not overwork herself.

Diane, I use essential oils and I am thinking about getting Vern some of the calming oils.

I just wanted you all to know I keep an eye on you on Facebook, Instagram and here.

Hugs, Sharon

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hugs to you Sharon, know this is a difficult time.

Sending prayers for you and Vern.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, -18 here today with a feel like -33. Brrr. Started my car and will do a few more times today as not to be so hard on battery.

Sharon, my heart goes out to you, am sure difficult nowhere covers the situation and itís overwhelming for you..prayers and hugs. And yes, your temp is ideal.

Martin Luther King day today

Iíve been up since early hours, raljed to myself, not really, talked to Ziggy and asked that since we hot floors done, washing done and that the house was in order what to heck will we do with out day? Shortly thereafter he was laying on the couch so guess that answered what he would be doing..me well itís playing 8n craft room but for now enjoying my coffee and muffin and reflecting on my trip to Dexter Church in Montgomery Alabama where Martin Luther King was pastor and did his sermons..

The church was closed and we were so disappointed, we knocked at the church doors and a few ladies came to the door.we explained we were from Canada and had planned a visit for months. They graciously invited us in and gave us a tour then told us to tour on our own.

Imagine the price ledge of going into his office, sitting in his chair, touching his private collection of book..standing at his pulpit..although they had a sign saying no pictures of the mural in hallways we were told we could.

Then off only steps away from state house where they were unable to demonstrate their answer was to put a wagon out front and do so!

Today looking at these photoís Iím just as overwhelmed.

Thought Iíd share

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Not sure why some went sideways

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Verona, ON

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the moon last night ? I wanted to but fell asleep. Woke up at 1:30am and haven't been back to sleep.I talked to someone on the lane and they said it was too cloudy here to see anything.

Lots of snow - about a foot+ fell.It is bitter cold here. It's in the -40's F with the wind chill. Yet there are still people on the lake ice fishing.

Picked up my new to me vehicle this morning.Roads were snow covered on the way into Ktown. To be quite honest our lane is in better shape then some of the streets in town. Going to take a little getting used to all the bells and whistles. It handled the lane just fine.

Sharon I swear by Lavender. I even have it in a diffuser in the bedroom.I hope you can find something to help calm Vern.

Stay safe and warm

Victoria Harbour, ON

What Color are your new wheels dianne

Love the smell of lavender, should go seek my vials, is had bought several asa I was adding it to water in iron for qpressing, not sleeping well, but not like you, so just maybe it would help.

Thinking of going to town this afternoon if I can brave the cold, will look for defused.

Had chenille hearts from saturday lesson, Suzanne said yesterday ĎI can see placemats..thought Iíd strip quilt them, couldnít get too creative as I only have scraps of Valentineís Day fabrics..do I need Valentineís Day placemats..nope but couldnít think of anything else to do with them.lol

Beautiful photos of the church. Glad the ladies let you in.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just got back from Midland, had eats out, ran my bath and now itís bedtime.

Spoke to pharmacist re not sleeping, thought Iíd speak with him before the doctor..had regular melatonin 10mg and it didnít seems to work, told me to try the extra strength 150 mg Fall Ashlee,stay asleep melatonin, hope it works

Bought lavender soap, lavender bath salts and lavender oil dispenser, now after that if it doesnít work then doctor it is lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Wonderful pics, Betty
Betty DOES behave - and there are 2 ways to behave....... well, and badly, she just ain't a-tellin' lol
Sharon - love & prayers going out from me to you & Vern. Gosh, but I couldn't imagine what you're going through.

Finally finished a prayer shawl made from baby wool. It's over 6ft long. Not enough to make 2 shawls, so I made one. Now to weave in the ends, and put a label on it. Pretty pastels & whites, with the glitter through the wool. Definitely for a lady.
The next shawl is for a man about 6'5" and 300 lbs - told me it will have to be a large one, thick too I imagine....... we shall see what I can do with the wool they gave me - will need to mix some to get enough. Maybe double up.so it's twice as thick.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, brrr talk about cold, deep freeze warning in effect again..I think of those poor souls who are homeless..shelters are around but wonder if enough.

Girls are coming this morning,best they dress extra warm.

Susan, kudos for finishing the shawl..what stitch do you use?

Coffee in hand Iím off to tidy up the craft room

Kelowna, Canada

Brrr, it must be cold where you are Betty! I thought it was cold here in Kelowna! We have a major problem with people being homeless here, mainly because the winters are mild as Canada goes and it's really quite sad. I really feel for the people who are homeless in colder climates.

It's been a slow, but early morning for me. I passed out at about 6pm yesterday and woke up at around 1am. I'm sure some of you know what life with chronic pain is like, you get sleep where and when you can!

Kelowna, Canada

Brrr, it must be cold where you are Betty! I thought it was cold here in Kelowna! We have a major problem with people being homeless here, mainly because the winters are mild as Canada goes and it's really quite sad. I really feel for the people who are homeless in colder climates.

It's been a slow, but early morning for me. I passed out at about 6pm yesterday and woke up at around 1am. I'm sure some of you know what life with chronic pain is like, you get sleep where and when you can!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Nice to see you join in thePhoenix, I live in what once was the snow belt, north of Barrie but seems the snow had moved north, imagine,my kids went to Sudbury for a snowmobile weekend as there is not enough snow in our region to safely snowmobile.

Yes, many of us live with Huronia pain, overwhelmed some days and yes, sleep when you can.

Didnít realize Kenora was much milder than we..you are only a few hundred miles east of Winnipeg righ?

I have garbage to put to the curb then Iíll tampke pain meds and wait for the girls to arrive, have friends come and sew on Tuesday mornings and thursday nights.,they seem to keep me out of mischief...

Donít be a stranger, wonderful ladies come chat here,Lordy must be about 12 years for some of us.

Ziggy crying Togo out, guess he is not aware of frigid temps,best I let him out!

This message was edited Jan 22, 2019 7:21 AM

Glad you joined us the Phoenix. Tell us about yourself please?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Ziggy will figure out.. he is smart. Stay by the door, he won't be long!!! LOL

Phoenix, Welcome! Do NOT let Betty mislead. She does NOT stay out of mischief!! It would take ALL of us LIVING with her 24/7 to accomplish that and she likely would give us the slip and STILL cause mischief!

I feel so much better after my massage. I have another one scheduled for Friday after work. They have a new masseuse who works Mondays, my day off. Halleluiah!

They are getting close to finishing up the projects in the house (new bathroom) & the exterior (gutters, new soffit, facia). They are going to start the new exterior door out the back. When the bathroom was created I lost my exterior door to the back yard. The new door is going to create quite a bit of work to redo some landscape, I'll have to replant a Rose of Sharon and 2 Knock out roses, remove curbing etc.

BUT it occurred to me that I could probably add a small porch out back and would LOVE IT! My son does NOT need to know this right now... I can put off the back porch until late spring. My son is threatening an intervention if I have more remodeling!!! He is anxious to move into the old guest room and benefit from that new bathroom and the increased privacy of living away from our master bedroom. He just doesn't want to put up with remodeling mess after he moves to new bedroom.

Our house is not "big", only about 1,700 square feet but L shaped. The old guest bedroom is at the FAR end of the L and Ben & I at the other end. The game room/sewing area is between the old guest room and the rest of the house. There is a frig in the game room, move a microwave out there and I might never see my son unless I am sewing!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pat, I'm sure you will also appreciate having your son on the other end of the house. We are doing much the same here with another bedroom and bath downstairs, Payton, oldest great grand at 15 is anxious to have a room of his own. He now shares with a brother and a step on week ends. They are both 6 years younger and of course thorns in his side. As soon as that's done, I get my sewing area back.

Welcome to the Phoenix, hope you'll stay and play with us. Betty does NOT behave considering herself cast iron and a dynamo to boot.

Kelowna, Canada

Thanks for the warm welcome, ladies! :)

Uhhh, a bit about myself... My name's Dante, I'm 29, been married for 2 years now and I've lived in BC, Canada my whole life. I only recently moved to the city I'm in now, Kelowna. The climate here is extremely mild; the coldest it got this winter was -7įC and that was only for a day or two. It's a true blessing to live in a place that doesn't aggravate my pain! (For the curious, it's just simple neuropathic/nerve pain, but it affects my mobility so having plants around is so luxurious!)

I'm still really new to growing plants, but I've been having a lot of good luck so far. Thanks again for the warm welcome. :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was nice hearing a little about yourself Dante..love the name.
Here is hoping now youíve moved weather will help the pain.

As for gardening, what kind of gardens do you like..m8ne are I would say wild for the most part, well maybe country gardening..sure live my gardens and all the areas within the yard. Canít wait for spring, although mega work I so enjoy.

Girls just left, was thinking of taking a nap but that wouldnít help the sleeping situation tonight would it..melatonin didnít help last night, maybe tonight.

I was out shoveling this morning, got back area done, pathway to back shed, that is a long way to shovel, by the time I was ready for the front I was frozen, maybe later.

Have left overs so should have a lunch/supper combination..

Will take pork roast out of freezer, look for crock pot recipe so I can make something tomorrow that likely would last me until weekend lol

Kelowna, Canada

We seem to like much the same thing out of a garden! My favourite garden is a garden with veggies in it! My Mom really instilled a love of farm-fresh veggies in me. My hubs and I just moved into a new place last year with an enormous balcony so we're hoping to grow some veggies this year (a lot of things got left behind last summer, we were kinda stressed). Aside from veggies I love seeing wild and endemic flowers in a garden. Throw in a lilac bush and a rose bush or three and that'd be my ideal garden.

Sorry to hear about your sleep troubles, Betty. Good on you for shovelling the snow through the pain; that's not easy at the best of times. I never found melatonin did much for me, but I hope it works well for you tonight!

Today, I don't think I'll be getting up to much. My sedeveria Harry Butterfield leaves are all rooting at once, so I'm going to be doing some digging (hee) on how best to plant those and get that done today. Aside from that, probably some grocery shopping. There's a big display of snake plants I've been eyeing up there.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2019 12:15 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

One of the features in my garden is the Ďsecret garden, lilac trees form an enclosure where table,chairs and other pieces are located.

I always had veggie garden but being alone I gave it up, now to plant a bit of a garden Iíd have to give up my shrubs,trees and flowers so no go lol

Congratulations on getting your sedum leaves to root. I have never tried them.
Betty, if you're doc won't give you a sleep aid, try buying some over the counter. Like advil on, tylenol pm...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Iíve Tylenol 3 LIndakay, that usually gets me to midnight..

Lyndonville, NY

Just got a weather update, rain, ice and snow mix tonight and into tomorrow.

Still freezing here!! We have about 20 inches snow. Was NO CHANCE seeing the moon between snow and cloud coverage.

I am here reading, just catching up when I can.

Re: Vern, have you done a urinalysis lately? I have seen any slight infection tend to mess with mens and memory and all that.....besides all else he has going on. HUGS.

Welcome Phoenix/ Dante

Debbie

Victoria Harbour, ON

Debbie we have about same forecasted for tomorrow..
We had snow part of Saturday and Sunday, wasnít up to shovelling it, did so today and froze my butt off, should have done it then. Brrrr

You should see me, just had boiling bath, here under a quilt afte4 spraying myself with spray to freeze left side, took my fibromyalgia meds and a Tylenol 3 thinking what a 2ste of time, must be something I can do right? Lol

Lyndonville, NY

You are doing exactly what you need to do. Resting.

AND would not have done ANY good to shovel Saturday or Sunday it was blowing back in just as fast as was shoveled and wind chill was more bitter.

Get some tea with honey in you!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images