SOLVED: Azalea or Magnolia or what???

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

This had a tag on it that only said "orange".
The person working at this small nursery told me they thought it was an azalea but now I'm beginning to wonder.
Now in January the buds are 3 times larger than they were in this photo with leaves...and have hints of color that look pink or orange...it is deciduous and now has bare limbs, with smooth bark.
I would like to find out what it is so I know how big it will get and what kind of light it needs.
Any clues would be helpful to me...even a guess.
NOTE- photo with larger bud on bar limbs with hint of color in a comment below cause I can't figure out how to add a photo in an edit.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2019 12:24 PM

This message was edited Jan 9, 2019 12:28 PM

This message was edited Jan 9, 2019 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by SimpleSue Thumbnail by SimpleSue
Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

Photo of mystery "orange" Azalea or Magnolia or What with larger buds in January....

Thumbnail by SimpleSue
Chennevières, France (European Territory)(Zone 8a)

I'd say rhododendron (same genus as Azalea).

Lausanne, Switzerland

Looks like azalea to me 😉

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, that looks like it is probably one of the Northern Lights series. It is in the Rhododendron sp., and is a complex hybrid. Most of deciduous Rhododendron species use the common name Azalea.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

To "ViburnumValley" your information on the lead of "Northern Lights" series of Rhodies was a great lead for me! Once mind blooms, as I have not seen its flowers yet, I will know more! Thanks a billion for that input!

You are quite welcome.

Make sure you take pictures when it blooms, and post them here as follow up. It is excellent information for others who follow you with gardening questions, to see the dormant state of a plant alongside the growing/flowering phase.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6b)

It finally bloomed in May, and I am just now posting photos!
It is indeed part of the Northern Light Series!
It seems to be "Mandarin Lights Azalea (Rhododendron 'Mandarin Lights'): mandarin orange, 4 to 5 feet high and wide."
Golden Lights also looks orange.
My photos look rather reddish, but in real life they are a very true orange!
I'm very happy to know what it is and how tall it will get!
Thanks everyone! Especially thanks to "ViburnumValley Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)"

Thumbnail by SimpleSue Thumbnail by SimpleSue

You are welcome. That is a handsome plant indeed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.