SOLVED: Tree Identification Please.

Drumborg, Australia

We have lived on the property for 7 years, This tree was here when we bought, but no one is able to name it for us. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thumbnail by Lorenzino Thumbnail by Lorenzino Thumbnail by Lorenzino Thumbnail by Lorenzino Thumbnail by Lorenzino
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm pretty sure that is an Asian or White Mulberry - Morus alba.

It appears to have somewhat contorted branching habit, which is an indication that it is a named selection, perhaps 'Unryu' or similar.

Here's a link to this plant in PlantFiles:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80754

Here's a link for Morus alba selections:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search/results.php?genus=morus&speci=alba

Drumborg, Australia

It is not deciduous, and it doesn't bear any fruit.

Richmond, TX

There are non-fruiting mulberries, but I thought they were all deciduous. The leaf shape and growth pattern definitely look like mulberry to me.

I can't help you with that species' behavior in Australia, but I bet it is quite different than how it behaves in temperate eastern North America.

While it might not shed its leaves all at once with the onset of what passes for your winter, it will shed an old set of leaves once a year.

As porkpal notes, there are plenty of selections of (normally) fruiting plants that are fruitless, or sterile.

Please read up on suggestions before discarding the idea out-of-hand. Morus sp. are dioecious - which means individual plants have either all male flowers or all female flowers. The male flowered (staminate) plants will NOT have fruit. The female flowered plants - if pollinated by a male plant nearby - will bear fruit.

I have male and female Morus rubra growing here at the Valley, and I get to observe these traits annually.

With your skepticism, I've delved into my memory bank and texts a bit deeper. 'Unryu' has been listed as selection of several different Morus sp., including Morus australis 'Unryu' and Morus bombycis 'Unryu'. There is a Morus alba 'Contorta' listed.

If you only have this one Mulberry, and there are none others around to pollinate, then you wouldn't necessarily ever see fruit even if this were a female flowered form.

You can help yourself and all others who might assist in ID by continuing to observe the plant, take more diagnostic images of the plant (including clear closeups of all its smaller detailed parts like buds, flowers, etc. The flowers are not significantly showy, but quite observable if you are looking. Given the date, you may already have missed them this year.

Drumborg, Australia

I was reminded, somewhat soundly by my partner that it is in fact deciduous. I would like to thank all here, as I am now convinced that it is a white mulberry. Minus the fruit. Thank you particularly Viburnum Valley. I'll continue to monitor it more closely now.

Well, my epistle was not meant to be a come-uppance. I can only base my effort on what I see and what is told here.

I'm glad that we all were able to help you identify your plant. You will certainly always be welcome to provide additional information and images on this thread. It will help others in identifying their plants, and understanding the behavior of this plant in different growing conditions.

I think there is a way to mark this thread as solved as well; Admins here like it when you do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.