Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

SOLVED: Missouri sapling

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is a sapling growing in the wild at the edge of the Mississippi river. The thorns along the trunk are stiff and sharp. Is this a young Gleditsia triacanthos? Couldn't get close enough for sharp pictures - best my I-phone could get. And I see they're posting sideways - upright on my computer. I'm not techy enough to know how to get them to show upright, sorry.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't think that's a Gleditsia sp. Take a look at the lenticelled bark - which lenticels also appear on the "thorn" like appendages. That will not be a feature of the tripartite thorns on Gleditsia triacanthos. I went out and checked some young vigorous stems on one of the many specimens still populating the Valley. Young Honey-locust also have very light gray and somewhat striated bark on the stems.

I wonder if this could be a seedling Pyrus calleryana (worst case) or some other young Prunus sp. (best case) which are well known for thorn-like spurs and short side branches. Prunus americana and Prunus angustifolia are a couple that behave this way.

I lean toward the weedy Pear species because there appear to be some fuzzy buds on a side branch; look at the trunk nearest the bottom of the photo. The side branch is the longest one nearest the bottom left - of the sideways photo.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, I'll gladly go along with it not being Gleditsia, it was just a guess. But sadly we've got tons of weedy pears but these trunk thorns were so sharp - I've seen lots of pears and other prunus species but never ran across weapons like these. I noticed a striking 'speckled' appearance to the stems which didn't come out clearly in my poor pictures - don't know if that's a helpful characteristic or not. I guess I could just wait 'til spring and check it out with leaves, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.