SOLVED: Tropical with pink blossoms....

NYC, NY(Zone 7a)

I've come across this so many times while working out IDs for other plants and now when I need its ID, I can't find it.... Go figure...

Any ideas?

This message was edited Feb 13, 2019 2:13 AM

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

This one will drive me nuts. I feel I know it yet have no clue. LOL

It is odd in that it first reminded me of a ginger then the sepals reminded me of a heliconia psittacorum and the flower part minus the sepals looks like a bromeliad flower! LOL

Do you have a good shot of the leaves?

NYC, NY(Zone 7a)

No, unfortunately I don't think the foliage is in the shot.... The flower cluster was deep in the greenhouse, peeking out from a bunch of diff't green foliage. Attention getting, but makes it difficult to photograph it suitably for ID purposes.

The more I look at it, the more it resembles Medinilla of some sort.... But, the garden's plant database doesn't list any matching ones... Plus, the flower cluster is upright, rather than downward facing....

I dunno... It'll drive me nuts, too, 'cause I KNOW I've come across it several times in my trolling the internet for other plant IDs. Isn't that just the way of things, though? ;)

Yes, I do not recall any upright Medinilla flowers.

The universe has a way of supplying such answers. Last week I struggled with an ID. I was going nuts because I knew I had photos of it in PlantFiles but since we no longer can access our photos in PFs I could not find it. The next day I saw it on Facebook with the name! LOL

Your name is so familiar but unfortunately, since DG has now deleted our access to Bloom of the Day photos on everyone's home page, I cannot see you photos. But I do recall enjoying your PF photos and picking them for BOTD.

NYC, NY(Zone 7a)

Yeah.... I've contributed almost 400 photos to the PF database over the years.... I thought the lack of access was a glitch or something --- guess not. If they've removed access even to those who own and generously share their photos in such a way, I will no longer support the site that way... It's not right to remove access even for the photo owner. I already overlooked the fact that they refused to respond when I asked {several times over} about removing some of the photos I provided -- due mainly to quality issues where I wanted to replace old shots with better ones..... This, though, I will not overlook.... I have a feeling other folks will feel the same way I do.

I am thinking things over too. I agree being ignored here for ages was tough but I worked around it. This new deal just makes no sense. Something just seems very wrong about it. Besides that it is incredibly frustrating! I had no idea how much I relied on it to search my own photos as well as other peoples too until they just disappeared it. I happened to be using the search of my photos when they pulled the plug and in a flash it said page is removed. I thought it was a glitch too.

NYC, NY(Zone 7a)

It's an abuse of content is what it is..... When you remove access for people to their own contributions, they can't find them and, thereby, cannot keep track of how it's being used. Out of sight, out of mind? -- Well, not for an avid plant/flower photographer like myself. I share thousands of photos in support of my local botanical gardens {besides this site} and none of them would ever impede photo owners' say-so over their content because without it, their sites and groups would suffer... I mean, legally, when you don't own the content, you don't have the right to ignore the content owner's requests to remove content they provided. So, yeah, I've uploaded my last photo directly to this site.... I can always link from my {very extensive} personal online photo database as needed, but will no longer give this site direct access to my photography -- which is a shame 'cause it's something I enjoyed and if enough people feel the way I do, the PF database contributions will start to decline.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2019 11:57 PM

That is too bad for your photos are great. But I understand completely. There has to be a reason for such a hostile act that we are not being told. I am sure soon all will be revealed and I bet we are not happy!

Waihi, New Zealand(Zone 1)

Fizgig777,
Re: Missing Photos from Member Pages

I have picked up your comments, and have put them in this rather obscure Link. I think what you have said is also very valid. https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1497377/

NYC, NY(Zone 7a)

Quote from Kell :
That is too bad for your photos are great. But I understand completely.

I appreciate that.... Many of the photos I share here have been published elsewhere and/or have won contests (like the wins that got me my paid membership), so I'm pretty careful about keeping track of what was shared here.... I ONLY shared them on here to help folks using the database to help ID plants --- which was a "pay it forward" gesture since the database has been a great tool for me as well as I do my darndest to keep the thousands of plants I photograph every year identified. But, when the site managers remove my ability to even SEE what photos I've shared here, that good will goes out the window.... If I were uploading shots I took with a cheap cell phone or otherwise poor quality images, it might not upset me as much, but I upload mostly high definition content so that plant details are at their visible best.... Not being able to track my work makes theft of it that much easier. Honestly, if this stays this way, I will likely abandon the site altogether.... I mean, the photos in the plant databases make this site as useful as it is... And I think this new policy/site design will eventually put an end to its usefulness.

Anyway.... Still hoping for ID help with this plant ;)

Crossroads, Russia

It looks like a bloom of some kind of Stromanthe for me.

Excellent Laly! Maybe Stromanthe sanguinea?
http://gardenbreizh.org/photos/mf/photo-651343.html
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/close-flower-stromanthe-sanguinea-plant-1090433633

I knew I had seen it. LOL
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/395625/

This message was edited Feb 12, 2019 3:10 PM

NYC, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Based on the botanical garden's database, I photographed their Prayer Plant ↔ Stromanthe Thalia .... Distinguishable from S. Sanguinea only by blossom color, apparently.

Figured out where I'd come across the thing before, too.... I'd researched the Tricolor variety at one point. *bangs head against desk*

Thanks again!!!

This message was edited Feb 13, 2019 2:24 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.