MARCH Challenges/projects/organiz8ng ourselves and sharing ideas with friends.lwe welcome all..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Been a Chatty Cathy this morning, 4 calls, donít they know I want to play lol

Machine has been doing a great job,this block will fit perfectly with the others

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Squared blocks, a few I was sent didnít measipure 12 1/2Ē x 12 1/2Ē so I added a bit of fabric to make it the correct size, a few arenít quite 12 1/2Ē on the side so I will fudge it. The block I did this morning blends in ok

Because it will be on back deck settee I think I will look in my stash, lots of fabric used looks retro so might have something..I just need it done..who knows maybe I can sew small borders this afternoon and will have it ready to quilt as well.

Think next is getting Christmas blocks from 2 swaps made into something..

If you joined these swaps years past have you made something with them

Hmmm sent you Christmas redwork Santa, did you make it into a pillow or such?

Lunch time

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Found 2 that I think might do borders and backing, your thoughts on which I should use?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Missing you all,lol

I decided after cutting a few strips of preferred green that having mini squares was difficult to get straight lines, wasnít about to play with it so opted for the blue..likely use the green for backing.

Decided to do a 2Ē white border then a 4Ē border of blue that way it will be a nice throw size.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Was going to go to town this afternoon to pick up a few things but seeing Iíll be gone all day tomorrow Iíll wait.

Pleased with outcome, thought I might put it on the frame but thought Iíd done enough today.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Love it Betty, Be great on the porch.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Lovely, Betty - I wasn't part of the birdhouse swap.
I showed the redwork Santa pieces as part of our Christmas decorations @ the Library, but as yet haven't decided what to do with them. I have to be very specific in my usage, as I am SO happy with them that I don't want to use them for just anything. Maybe I'll make a Christmas lap quilt. I'm still thinking......... 😁🤣 Can you see the smoke from there, Betty?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I voted for blue before you showed the next post, you had already gone with blue!! More blocks had blue than the green & thought it would be better choice.

I do not have anything finished anywhere it seems!! the birdhouse blocks would make a nice wall hanging for office. Maybe as privacy cover over my glass in the door. right now I have a block piece that was a panel of 6 inch blocks with different flowers, still NOT finished, just top with raw edges.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - that birdhouse throw is so sweet. I agree, the blue was the right choice 👍

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks, think I made right choice
Going to buffalo for the day,leave at 6 but wide awake since 3:30 so decided to get up and just relax..

Girls Iím travelling with arenít highway drivers to Iíll be doing all the driving so wonít be a bad idea to relax

Victoria Harbour, ON

With time on my hands went looking through containers that had swap blocks

Forgot about the rustic looking blocks, another throw, might make a block to replace the turquoise block so it matches color theme mire, can always use the turquoise one in another project.

Know I have other Christmas blocks so will search for those when I get home, maybe not, tomorrow is another day.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2019 5:46 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I got the twin bed headboard made, not really satisfied with it, might try to corbels to it and see if I like it better. I probably need to reduce the "shelf" top I put on it, the portion is all wrong for the size of headboard. When I get it painted and mounted I'll take a picture. I had to make it to fit the "wall" and mount it directly to the wall.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh wow Betty - you have the Maple Leaf block I made (for the RWB swap), but I don't recognize the other blocks with it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yep, think you signed it Susan, will make a nice throw, anxious to get these projects done

Pat likely when attached to wall it will tak pe on an entirely different look, anxiously wipait8ng to see ohitoís Of newly renovated rooms

Suzanne said she was coming this morn8ng to sew at 7, I hadnít taken into account that I would get back from my outing yesterday 6a.m.- 10pm then change with the clocks it actually works out to 6a.m. Not 7 a.m. but Iím up and ready for her visit..wInd came up through the night 70 gusts and now looks as though we will get freezing rain so maybe she will call and wonít come over.

Bought a lot of sewing goodies, Melanie bought material to make a unicorn twin size quilt for Kyleís new girlfriend little girl, she will be 3 on Friday, guess Iíll be busy making a quilt this week, now to figure out a pattern lol

She dropped off something for me from Greg, when he and I spoke on thursday night before his leaving for Newfoundland on a snowmobile trek I mentioned that I needed a 13Ē square template,he had made me many but need yet another, when Melanie came yesterday she said Greg sent me a pressie, ohh just what I wanted.

I bought the cutest frog bean bag, Iím thinking instead of filling it with pellets Iíll fill it with whatever I can put in microwave and use for my neck but is lovely done in flannels for little child to drags around

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Making progress but SLOWLY... I think I had posted some of these. Rooms are not done but they are shaping up. The wall hanging now has 2 more borders on it and is ready to finish. I have the headboard ready to paint for the single bed and have figured out what I am doing for the king sized bed. My plan is to get the headboard made out of the Oriental craved wood screen and be prepared to give it to my DDIL if she wants it for THEIR bed (then make or buy thrift store one for me)

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2
Victoria Harbour, ON

Lovely, can see by your colours you are much into soft color..you did a great job on your hanging ..

It must be nearing the time your son and family will move in?

Busy morning, Suzanne did come, we were just starting to sew when I was at ironing board, turned around and there was Melanie, scarred the beekeepers out of me.

Productive morning for us, Mel was so pleased that she got a call saying her bio mother and her niece was driving in from meafird to spend the day, she so wanted to stay and sew on the unicorn quilt
Lunch time

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - fill it with rice?
Pat - love the SMILE pillow & the wall hangings, and the purple, and the teal, and the...... oh heck, love it all! That wood screen would lend itself to So much, but to use it for a headboard is a crafty idea!

I'm using up a lot of baby yarn that has sparkles in it, and plain. Using 3 or 4 strands (whatever it takes to keep it even) of it, to make a prayer shawl (finished the burgundy one) and this one's looking SO Spring-like. Doing it in white/blue/yellow/greens. Using a blue variagated, and straight colours of the rest - I think it will do nicely for a man or woman.
Next, I have pinks & mauves with white for a woman. Sure is nice to get some of my yarn cupboard cleared out using this up! Oh, forgot to mention - my friend Una gave me a bunch More of the sparkly yarn lol Like I needed more........ lmao Well, she wanted to donate it, and she's trying to downsize in her senior's apartment (don't know what to call it - has a private entrance to the yard, and a tiny yard in back, but it's a small place meant just for seniors. Each home is in a "block" of four attached, and there's a small bedroom, kitchen & living room, and the bathroom, plus a washer/dryer.)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds like a lovely place to retire to Susan..donít think we will ever use up all our supplies even though we are trying to..

Melanie came over early evening, got 2 kids pairs of p.j.ís and we worked at trying to work out how she wants her quilt blocks to be..needs the quilt by Friday! Then her friend Janet droooed in.,had a nice visit but Lordy now itís time for bed..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

By Friday? wow - lots of rushing. I suppose that the design of blocks has been decided? Would love to see it.

LOL... I vote for a giant applique! (but know THAT won't happen!) How long does it take to do the beautiful Unicorn you used on the book bags? could you make a few of those an modify a "medallion" type block pattern to feature them? Eager to see what you come up with, KNOW it will be beautiful!

Made the leap and bought a Singer Featherweight. Almost as old as me but in beautiful shape.
Should finish the quilting on the baby quilt today. Not really happy with it, I just don't have the control I used to. Guess baby won't mind too much.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Great new Karen, you deserve it..I might be buying a Bernina 830 embroidery mach8ne..lady died and hubby looking to sell it..have to do more research..he said it was hardly used. He might try to bring it before weekend for me to see..

He wants $3,500, if I bought it Iíd sell mine to Janice

Happy birthday Susan..hope you are having a sunshine day,

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wanted to ask, I never make a twin size quilt,what measurement do you make it??

Made border on th one Mel didmvery wide for,overhand but lots has to be cut off,after quilting, just need proper measurements

Melanie took the day off,work,and we sewed all,day, Iím tired

Kyle asked us to make it, need it by friday

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

72 x 90 is the size that I have used as standard for twin.

https://www.inspired2quilt.com/standard-quilt-sizes.htm shows the dimensions they use...

72 x 90 is the size that I have used as standard for twin.

https://www.inspired2quilt.com/standard-quilt-sizes.htm shows the dimensions they use...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks pat, and does it have a fake overhang?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the birthday wishes - having a fabulous day - eating too much cake though lol
Hope the embroidery machine(s) work out for you, Betty

I don't know what you mean "fake overhang". I think generally the "quilt blocks" on the top of the bed, then borders start past the bed top, if that is what you mean.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Meant long overhang...darn,iPad lol

I think the chart showed the length the of the overhang and the dimensions needed for several options.

Beds can vary so much in height. Best to measure the bed you want it for if possible. I'm waiting on order of fabric for quilt for my bed. It's king size and I want it to floor so will be a beast.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - I don't know how you do this on an I-pad. Too tiny for me. I'm still old school, on a desktop computer 😁

Karen, I have taken a commercial bedspread and added a big border to the outer section to get the size I wanted. That's worked for me several times. I always hate to give up on one that I have already altered!! My son Kevin took one of them. He doesn't like a blanket until it's well worn! It was started to get wear spots so I replaced it and he snatched it up!

I'm really excited about making a quilt for us. MSQC had one several years ago that I loved but by the time I could get the fabric, it was out of stock and I never saw any I liked as well. This time as soon as I saw the pattern, I knew I wanted to make it. Even though Jenny made it in pastels with a white background, I saw a black background and jewel colors. It all came today. I must wait until others are finished....I must wait until others are finished.....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Good idea Pat..

Karen,famous last words

Victoria Harbour, ON

Cutting froggie parts
Just fInished washing backing for Wannetaís quilt, might put it on the frame today then I can quilt from time to time and not try and get it done all in one day.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I signed up for 3 day long intense class on my Ovation serger. in April. Marie assures me it will be worth it, I hope so! I have to take 2 days off work + plus cost of class!

When sergers were a fairly new thing. They had free classes in which we made a T-shirt and could keep it. The only thing I learned was I wanted nothing to do with them. It took me several years to change my mind. When I did I loved it and used it nearly every day. They are great for garment sewing. When I first made T-shirt quilts, I sewed them with my serger because it had a special setting that kept the seams from stretching and in fact gathered it in ever so slightly. It was called a differential feed. I don't use it so much any more because I don't make garments but it's great for mending open seams in knits.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Same here Karen, Melanie was here sewing, asked why I didnít use serger, not my thing I said, likely give it to her..

Iím sure you will get lots,out of it Pat, imagine itís lots to remember..great because it get you doing something for you.

I bought the Bernina 830 special edition..lots to do today, hand sewing around the quilt Melanie did for Kyle girlfriends little one then just maybe Iíll set it up Amand play..watched a few tutorials, oh my self threads the eye through needle, double sized bobbin,special w8nder..with proper attachment even cuts out layers of spdesigns, as well bead8ng, lots to learn, likely wonít

Better sew bingpd8ngmreal,quick,want to go play lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I liked the serger well enough for clothing but not useful for quilting. I do keep it handy for hemming and repairs.

Anxious to play with my new toy. I was as excited about the knitting knobby I saw with it. Has nothing to do with machine, likely was in the case when seller bought it. I know it's vintage. We used to play with them made with wooden spools and small nails.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.