Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

SOLVED: Can ZZ plants be saved?

Los Angeles, CA

My ZZ plants have taken a beating from all the rain. Can they be saved? The stalks are literally falling off due to rot. Can the roots be saved? Will they regrow once things dry out?

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

I had to look up what a ZZ plant was. LOL Zamioculcas zamiifolia. New to me. But I see it is a very easy plant, forgiving of many things but not so much of overwatering. I see it is mostly a house plant grown in pots. Are yours in the ground or in pots? I ask because years ago when we were having lots of rain, I was so afraid my succulent and cactus potted plants would rot. I laid all of them on their sides. It worked really well and I lost none.

It sounds like yours maybe too far gone, I have treated rot by cutting off all rotted parts. Then I liberally put rooting powder all over the open wound. I read rooting powder has fungicide in it. It worked! If the plants are planted in the garden, you will need to make sure they do not get wet.

I have also pulled plants that were in soaking wet soil and were drooping from being over watered from their pots. I laid them on their side with newspaper loosely over the roots to protect them from the light till the soil has dried out then I replanted them. You want good air circulation. This is my last Hail Mary pass. LOL

You might want to lift the plant and check the roots. If they are mushy and black they won't recover. If you have white, firm roots they have a good chance if you can stop the rotting dieback on top. If some of the roots are dead but some alive, cut out the dead parts and dust the ends if the live roots with rooting powder then replant in loose dry soil.

Good luck!.

Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for your message. My ZZ plants are all outdoors and have been soaked through and through.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Great suggestions. Kell! Good luck, DMHess!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.