SOLVED: Weedy Yard in March

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

These weeds are springing up like crazy in my yard and my neighbors', and they are BLOOMING! They are shallow rooted and are several inches tall at this point. They grow in clumps and are easily removed by grasping them at the ground, but there are too many in our yards to remove by hand.

Thumbnail by RebeccaLynn Thumbnail by RebeccaLynn
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that is something called wintercress, or some such. A cool season annual weed, it will set a zillion seeds from those flowers to ensure that you will always have this one around.

Pulling them out before the seeds set is the only way to reduce the population.

Charleston, SC

Cardamine hirsuta Hairy Bittercress?

Gahanna, OH(Zone 6b)

Iím also thinking hairy bittercress

Thank you all. Yes, it is hairy bittercrest. I will try to eliminate them before they set seeds.

Thank you all. Yes, it is hairy bittercrest. I will try to eliminate them before they set seeds.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9b)

I have those regularly but didn't know the name before. They are so easy to pull up and somehow satisfying compared to some weeds. They are dainty and pretty and are great at throwing their seeds when touched. You could always look at it as a "seasonal ground cover" which is what I call weeds that are too much of a chore to remove.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.