SOLVED: Tree Identifier

Falls Church, VA

I live outside of Washington DC. This tree starts growing in early-mid spring and I believe it gets little white flowers later on. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by jm85 Thumbnail by jm85 Thumbnail by jm85 Thumbnail by jm85
Bretten, Germany

Lonicera sp., - Honeysuckle.

Falls Church, VA

Here is a picture of the buds, if it helps.

Thumbnail by jm85
Falls Church, VA

Are we convinced it's honeysuckle? I can't find any honeysuckle pics online that look like my tree. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No question whatsoever - that is one of the woody shrub honeysuckles, and it is most likely Lonicera maackii, Amur Honeysuckle.

If you can't find a pic online of that plant, you are not trying hard.

This is one of the most pestiferous exotic invasive woody shrubs in eastern North America. Aim to eliminate it before it produces another thousand seedlings.

Falls Church, VA

You people are geniuses! Thanks for the clarification, I think you're right about it being Amur, though I don't remember the little red berries, and it doesn't seem to be as invasive or awful as the internet says it is. Anyway, thanks!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

This plant's invasiveness is the seedlings that sprout anywhere the birds poop out the seeds from the fruit they've eaten. That often happens in unmanaged natural areas (like park woodlands and forests) away from your yard. When established, Amur Honeysuckle is also allelopathic by changing its environment and soil chemistry to prevent the growth of other plants which would normally be growing there. Thus, whole understories of native trees, shrubs, and wildflowers are suppressed where Honeysuckle has taken over.

Great thing about technology - you can go places and see things from your seat in front of the computer. Google Maps street view allows me to visit parks in Falls Church, where Amur Honeysuckle is readily evident along street frontages where there are woodlands. Cavalier Trail Park along the bike route and East Falls Church Park are a couple examples.

Once you know what you are looking at, you will begin to notice this plant EVERYWHERE. The good thing is - it is not the hardest one to eliminate. The rewards of native plants returning is one of the great joys when this pest is removed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.