MAY Challenges/Projects/0rganizing Ourseoves..sharing Iíd ideas..all welcome!

Victoria Harbour, ON

We moved from here:

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1501904/?page=5#post_10422098

Lordy, didnít realize I hadnít been in our sewing chat room for some time..havenít been feeling well for several weeks, hoping the sunshine improves the aching bones/body..ahhhh itís grand isnít it aging,freedom to do anything and our body tells us no..

No more complaining,itís a sunshine day out there and Iím going to take advantage of it.. promised myself 1/2 hr outside 1/2 hr inside to rest, now letís see how that plan works lol

Might just put the newly covered patio cushions out, they look so cheery..had enough fabric left over that I managed to cover a set for Darlene as well..she is pleased with hers so Iím sure Iíll like mind..

This message was edited May 8, 2019 5:55 AM

This message was edited May 8, 2019 7:00 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

It seems I have not DONE any sewing!!! While that is not quite true, it is CLOSE!! I took today off and worked outside

I need to get to Home Depot so I can finish up a few more projects. I have cement curing right now. A base for Ben's heavy latex liner stand, a big stepping stone & the base of a whirligig with solar lights. I need to buy new hoses, a new Y faucet and a few other miscellaneous things.

Going well so far! I did the bulk of the sanding on two nightstands that I am going to paint. I got the annuals in the ground with all the manure worked in. Still need to spread the mulch. I did not tell anyone (sister or husband, or kids) that I was taking this day off so they would not try to fill it with THEIR projects!!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.
Pat, sounds like you are keeping busy.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Smart lady Pat not telling anyone of your day off...that was a tremendous amount of work you got done but work that you enjoy..im smiling as I can just see you putzing around with a smile on your face,

Yesterday I played on back deck amd got winter covering off, everything washed and finished Sharons small throw.

Today the wind is so strong and rain, inside day for sure so I thing Iíll put momís quilt frame together and might stain Melanieís momís that Melanie wanted but hasnít had time to come amd stain..have a large quilt to quilt for Sharon, might get it on the frame so I can quilt here and there, if I get that done Iíll be pleased with my day.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

That is a beautiful quilt.

Pretty!! Sis rounded up all the horse fabric, panels and coordinating fabrics. I am going to design a queen quilt for her granddaughter's new pine log queen bed. She loves horses and at some point her Dad is going to have to buy one! He is resisting the thought but Ö by age 12 I believe she will have him convinced.

Sis & I have longarm class in June, will practice on a few smaller less important quilts before even thinking about quilting the granddaughters. I just hope I can get it made and Marie quilt it before Christmas!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well phooey. We went to MI and were having a good time. Visiting plans until Sunday but this morning I woke up sick. Not sure what kind of big bit me but no fun at all. We came on home. I slept most of the way. Just didn't want to share.

Sorry to hear that Karen. Praying you get rid of that bug soon.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Still puny today, slept until just an hour ago.
We have some plants to unpack. So excited, I got my lilac I wanted, plus a peony, a lavender and 2 tuberous begonias for Mother's day.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sorry youíre still in well Karen, bad itís exciting to start a new slate of garden colours on your new property.

Much in the way of shrubs and flowers at your new home?

I got MelanieĎs quilt ladder put together all sheíll have to do is give it a few coats of finish and it will be ready to give to her mom on motherís day.

picked weeds for an hour, easy to pull when the ground is soaking wet , was chilled so came in..big mistake, should have pushed myself..now Iím watching blue jays playing in the seed container.

Put another embroidery name scroll on the machine..trying to get ahead on the Xmas pillows lol so must go check how itís com8ng along.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty, basically all we have to start with are three dogwood trees in the front yard and a rose bush on the side. We also have a banana tree that surprised us and came back. We were told to let it all die back and then cut it down. We had a pile of mush all winter that worried us until it sent up 5 new shoots that are doing very well. We bought Azaleas for the front, I got a lilac up north and a peony. We put in a veggie garden and planted a few other things here and there. Still working on getting the spot for my wisteria ready. I have all my Mother's Day plants hanging across the front porch. We are looking very at home these days.

Sounds beautiful.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Linda, definitely better than when we moved in.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Have to start taking pictures Karen were in all of this move. Worked out in the yard and decided Iíd play it smart when the egg some pains start stop so running a bath will soak a bit and put my feet up tomorrowís another day they say

Karen, do you have a wisteria to plant or still need to buy one?? I have seeds and have had good success with germination. Do you want me to send some? Couple years ago I did all the prep (soak, nick etc) and have 100% success and gave away my seedlings afterwards.
Youngest son, Adam, needed to make rent money so he's working here Monday. I have some plants to dig up and move, lots of other stuff as well. Never a shortage of work!

Several years ago Ben took a fall on the cement patio and bent the heck out of my metal arch so I moved it to the back and it's been sitting neglected ever since. I am hoping Adam can straighten it, reinforce it so I can reuse it in the back.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I do have wisteria, it's coming along, just on MI time. Mine was a cutting from my grandmother and hers was a cutting from my great grand mother. One of my fav. pics of Granny, she is sitting in front of her wisteria.
Still puny today, we will be just staying here today. Still don't know what's up, all I want to do is sleep. I have a bit of a fever and ugly cough.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sorry to hear youíre still feeling poorly Karen, so much going around these days you likely picked up. something, so youíre doing what you should, resting is what you need..oh my God wisteria going that far back in the family..how lucky.. bet it broke your heart to leave the mother plant as it means so much to you .

Pat, helps you and helps him..hope he will be able to get the arch together..I made arches years ago with sides of gazeboís, the are so much stronger..

Yawning away, got the pond up and running, could so go to sleep but Greg is gone to pick up Chinese so best I stay awake..was smiling to myself, withought being too rude Iíll thank him for the day and no need to stay too late lol

Iíve had 3 baths today and still smell like a swamp, going to check if Iíve a lemon,rub my hands hoping that might do the trick.

Hope you all had the best Motherís Day..

Back to sewing tomorrow

I heard a raw potato rubbed on your hands will take the stink off.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi - been busy in the garden the past few days and it's been lovely weather. 22c yesterday, and 25c today! Very sunny.
Hope all the Moms here had a lovely Mother's Day.

Victoria Harbour, ON

A busytIme of year Susan, gardens and yard work takes much of everyoneís time.
Iím so thrilled going out this morning and seeing the pond up and running and the spray feature going,Iím a happy camper..

Iím behind in the ĎA day on the lakeí quilt, june has 4 of 12 panels done and Iíve none so this afternoon I might try and catch up seeing itís pouring rain and I will not be able to play outside.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Warm, but not as sunny today - a good day to work in the garden. I hope that Bob gets our Teardrop chair out on the deck. It's lovely! Montauk Teardrop chair. As you can see, there's a loop on the top, to hang it, or it sits on the deck and swivels.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Is your deck covered in Susan?
I wish I would have covered the 3rd dec..so pretty overlooking the pond,hindsight right

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty, have your guys build you a lattice type covering for the deck. Then grow a flowering vine on it.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Deck's open, currently, but Bob is going to build an overhang, and use some 10" diameter cedar posts to hang the swing from, with some lattice over top, stretching to our home. He wants to hang baskets from it, but I don't think that'll work, as the patio table will be under it, with the umbrella.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You will have to make a plan of what you want Susan so itís done to your specs

My guy has about an hour of clean up to fo and all decks and house is done, looks nice and clean, happy with job..now I have his number Iíll be able to call and do odd job

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good for you, Betty, in finding someone who's handy around & will do these jobs 👍
Bob's the one with the plans, for the deck, etc. I get to pretty things up 😊
We just had a thunderstorm with a lot of rain - didn't last long, but we sure needed the rain for our newly planted veggie garden!

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is fun, the prettyíing up,likely more so than the planning.

After Cody washed everything done things needed to be wiped down

Sun is out but the wind is so cold..mom is getting ready for home around 1, if I sit to keep her company Iíll get a lazy on...Darlene didnt sleep well last night due to pain so not sure she is coming..need to do transplanting,so likely take that on..

Sewing will have to wait..looked around and Iíve a cement container that might be big enough to create a faux fireplace, have my porcelain logs charging in the sun..

I worked outside for over 10 hours, weeding, shoveling, transplanting, taking up old soaker hose and stringing new hose. I doubt I'll be able to walk tomorrow. The shoveling is the really part on my knees.
I got the front two flower beds DONE; soakers in place and bark spread. The last of the plants are all in pots.
this is always such an exciting time of year, still cool enough I can buy & plant flowers. I have garden pots filled with seeding soil but have not even started one plant yet. I saved some seeds from beautiful snapdragons with intentions of starting some. I suppose it could still happen...

I had plans to spend some time in the sewing room, if nothing else, cleaning so I could sew!!! Didn't happen today!

I'm showered and ready for bed.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pat, I'll bet you can still start your snapdragons. They are pretty easy to seed.
This bronchitis is still kicking my butt. Afraid to do any yard work because of my toe. I have to watch for infection. I can sew but that's about it.

Yeah, just need to get off my bum! I wont' try to seed directly, I have put PREEN in to avoid germination, reduce my weeding but unfortunately eliminate any self seeding (or intentional planting of seeds!)

Victoria Harbour, ON

My sewing machines are wondering why Iím not working on them..must put Ďclosed for gardeningí lol

I donít do well with seeds,nor starting them early, have a lot I can divide though once the beds are cleaning..one should check what is invasive, word ground cover should have been first clue right?

Rained all of 10 m8nutes,seems to have passed us by so out I go until the next shiwer

There are few things that I consider "invasive". I generally think of them as "easily grown"! That said "bishops weed" and bamboo would NEVER NEVER be in my gardens. Not fond of mints either. https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2910

Victoria Harbour, ON

Iíll have to take a few photoís of my invasive,quite a time getting rid of them..do like my wild geraniums though.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Light drizzle today so maybe Iíll sew a bit..Darlene called last night and wants a book pillow for her nephew Brooks, she had fabric left from her pillow,thinking I might have enough for this one so Iíll play with that..maybe get a quilt top that belongs to SHARON on the frame..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Another rain day..

Did the panel for the reading pillow Darlene asked me to do, they do take time..
The design she picked had a flaw in it..grrrr then feed dogs caught in threads on back..gathered, I tried to fix,not happy with it so likely have to start all over again, not happy with that

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Can you put a lining over the back? Maybe an iron on one? That's an awful lot of work to discard.

Oh crud just saw the flaw. I'll have to see if I have that one.

This message was edited May 23, 2019 6:25 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Itís from juju, Iíve used so many of their designs,this is the only one that is off in its program..

The y in you, yes I did put backing, will try to embroider the bottom part of y and see
Big sigh

I don't see any flaws.

Victoria Harbour, ON

In garbage it goes, just started a new one, starting with wording, can cut out my pattern while keeping an eye on embroidery

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.