Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

Any Homemade Sprays For Double Knock Out Roses?

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Hello,
I have two newly planted Double Knock Out Rose bushes, and have been noticing some of the leaves are being chewed on. Due to how expensive rose sprays are, I am looking for a few safe homemade spray ideas to kill these pests.If any of you are using a homemade spray on your roses that works, I'd love to get the recipe for it, and directions on how to use it.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hello Jeffrey,

That is an excellent photo of your damaged rose leaf. I am not sure that damage was inflicted by a pest. Do you have other rose leaves that are damaged? Have you seen any creature inflicting damage on your roses?

I raise and breed zinnias and I expect pests to damage their foliage. I hand pick the occasional woolly worm or grasshopper. The ingredients of some homemade sprays (buttermilk or baking powder for example) can cost as much as commercial sprays. But for the time being, is the leaf in your photo the only damage you are seeing to your roses?

ZM

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Quote from Zen_Man :
Hello Jeffrey,

That is an excellent photo of your damaged rose leaf. I am not sure that damage was inflicted by a pest. Do you have other rose leaves that are damaged? Have you seen any creature inflicting damage on your roses?

I raise and breed zinnias and I expect pests to damage their foliage. I hand pick the occasional woolly worm or grasshopper. The ingredients of some homemade sprays (buttermilk or baking powder for example) can cost as much as commercial sprays. But for the time being, is the leaf in your photo the only damage you are seeing to your roses?

ZM

Hello Zen_Man,
Yes, I see a few other damaged leaves. And I have seen tiny grasshopper like insects, flies, tiny white bugs, and even smallish spiders on them. I wouldn't say the roses are covered in these pests, but I do see them. I have also seen a couple of lady bugs on the roses, and heard they were good to have around, so I leave them be.

You may click and view a larger version of the images below. These are crops of the original images to better focus in on the insects.

The grasshopper looking insect is in the first image.
Some type of white powdery substance in the second image.
A fly in the third image.
A tiny white bug in the fourth image.
And the last image is another of that fly.

Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA
Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Here is a link to many more images of my roses. For even greater detail, click on the images to view a much larger version. https://imgur.com/a/zFVPvpU

Below are a few images of more damaged leaves.

Thanks for your help, my friend! Much appreciated!

Jeffrey

Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Jeffrey,

Good photos, both posted and linked. The only creature I see that is potentially harmful is the white one. The little flies are harmless, possibly even beneficial. Oddly, that grasshopper-like creature is also probably a "good guy", in that it looks like a katydid, and not a grasshopper. Grasshoppers are herbivores (plant eaters) while Katydids are carnivores and they eat other insects, so they are potentially beneficial.

A lot of the leaf damage appears to be mechanical -- like something hit the leaves. I didn't see any fallen acorns on the ground, but your rose bushes seem to be in the shade of a tree. They would probably do better in a sunnier spot.

That little white creature doesn't look very athletic. If you sprayed a strong spray of water on the bush and knocked him off on the ground, he might find it too much of a challenge to make his way back onto your rose bush.

The mechanical damage to your rose leaves doesn't seem to be too bad, and I don't think a homemade spray would be a solution to it. Foliar feeding with a good soluble nutrient formula could be beneficial.

The shade of a tree also won't be solved by spraying. I assume there is a good reason why you put the rose in the shade of a tree rather than in a sunny spot. But would it be feasible to move the rose(s) to a sunnier spot?

ZM

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Quote from Zen_Man :
Hi Jeffrey,

Good photos, both posted and linked. The only creature I see that is potentially harmful is the white one. The little flies are harmless, possibly even beneficial. Oddly, that grasshopper-like creature is also probably a "good guy", in that it looks like a katydid, and not a grasshopper. Grasshoppers are herbivores (plant eaters) while Katydids are carnivores and they eat other insects, so they are potentially beneficial.

A lot of the leaf damage appears to be mechanical -- like something hit the leaves. I didn't see any fallen acorns on the ground, but your rose bushes seem to be in the shade of a tree. They would probably do better in a sunnier spot.

That little white creature doesn't look very athletic. If you sprayed a strong spray of water on the bush and knocked him off on the ground, he might find it too much of a challenge to make his way back onto your rose bush.

The mechanical damage to your rose leaves doesn't seem to be too bad, and I don't think a homemade spray would be a solution to it. Foliar feeding with a good soluble nutrient formula could be beneficial.

The shade of a tree also won't be solved by spraying. I assume there is a good reason why you put the rose in the shade of a tree rather than in a sunny spot. But would it be feasible to move the rose(s) to a sunnier spot?

ZM

Thank you very much for the informative post. I truly do appreciate your time. And that's good to hear that it may be a harmless katydid. I have actually already killed one, and will leave the rest I see alone. I do see one or two other tiny green looking bugs every day. They're about the size of the tip of a pen. I've been mashing those too when I can, but they're so quick and hop away. Maybe they're young katydids? I do not see many of those tiny white bugs, but have been killing them when I get the chance. They're quick also. For the last few days, I have been thumping the rose bushes very lightly to knock off any of the little critters, and have killed a few doing this. I also went out there tonight with a battery powered lantern and looked for bugs. I can lower it down on the ground and light up the leaves from underneath, which will show if there are any bugs hiding under there to mash. I just started doing this tonight, and will try and go out there every night and check for bugs.

And no, I have not hit the leaves with anything mechanical. It has to be some type of bug, or bugs, that chewed on them. I did kill a green worn of some kind yesterday after knocking it off. Maybe that's what had chewed on them.

I do have my roses planted under a live oak tree that only gets a few hours of sun each day, but not the recommended amount. (I made a thread about this here: https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/double-knock-out-roses-drift-roses.40960/#post-375424 )They do get a little morning and late evening sun. I planted them there because that's where I buried my dear cat, Lady G. She was killed back on January 14. I am simply trying to make it pretty around there for her. I did buy a bag of rose soil and mixed it with the native soil when I planted them. I also bought a bag of Vigoro rose feed and put some around them the other day. I've also watered them nearly every day. They do look like they're growing well to my untrained eye, and it looks like I see several rose buds on them. So I pray they'll grow nicely and produce a ton of roses for her. Lady G. meant the world to me, and she certainly deserves a pretty gravesite. If interested, you may read her memorial thread at this link: https://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/post/in-loving-memory-of-lady-g-10037593

Again, thank you very much for your help, my friend!

Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Jeffrey,

The Knockout Roses may never thrive in that shady location. You might want to do a search for ornamentals that are suitable for a shady location.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=BqflXM6nFIGesQX_8If4AQ&q=ornamental+plants+for+shade&oq=ornamental+plants+for+shade&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0j0i22i30l3.15624.42130..43203...2.0..0.1119.19221.6-20j3......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.AUehO9nGu2E

ZM

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Quote from Zen_Man :
Hi Jeffrey,

The Knockout Roses may never thrive in that shady location. You might want to do a search for ornamentals that are suitable for a shady location.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=BqflXM6nFIGesQX_8If4AQ&q=ornamental+plants+for+shade&oq=ornamental+plants+for+shade&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0j0i22i30l3.15624.42130..43203...2.0..0.1119.19221.6-20j3......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.AUehO9nGu2E

ZM

I understand and have had several others tell me the same thing about the shade. I am still looking at other flowers to potentially plant there as well. And like I said, the roses do appear to be doing pretty good so far, so maybe they'll be just fine. If not, I will dig them up and plant them somewhere else. I have much sunnier spots around the house.

Thanks again.

Swainsboro, GA(Zone 8b)

I have a Knockout rose planted in a shady spot that only receives a few hours of morning sun. It blooms nicely, although not as well as it would in a sunnier location, and helps brighten that area. So your roses should be fine. Sorry for the loss of your beautiful Lady G. She looks much like my sweet JillyMae who we lost a few years ago.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Quote from Pinetucky :
I have a Knockout rose planted in a shady spot that only receives a few hours of morning sun. It blooms nicely, although not as well as it would in a sunnier location, and helps brighten that area. So your roses should be fine. Sorry for the loss of your beautiful Lady G. She looks much like my sweet JillyMae who we lost a few years ago.

Hello Pinetucky,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess it's hit or miss, but so far, my roses do look like they're doing okay to me, except for the leaves being chewed on.

Thanks for the kind words about Lady G. I thought more of that sweet cat than I do of most people I know. :) And I bet JillyMae was just as pretty as her name. Sorry for your loss as well. They are family.

I just came from outside with a few more images to share, and have a few more questions.

1. I believe that's an inchworm in image one. He was on a rose leaf before putting him on my hand. Maybe this is what has been chewing on the leaves. What do y'all think?

2. Some type of flying insect on a rose leaf in image two. Any idea what this is?

3. What may be causing the leaves to curl in image three?

Again, thanks everyone!

Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Jeffrey,

That little inchworm doesn't look capable of inflicting a long gash in a rose leaf. The flying insect looks similar to a housefly. Maybe it is. The leaf curl could be due to a foliage disease. There are some whitish areas visible that could be Powdery Mildew.

ZM

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Quote from Zen_Man :
Hi Jeffrey,

That little inchworm doesn't look capable of inflicting a long gash in a rose leaf. The flying insect looks similar to a housefly. Maybe it is. The leaf curl could be due to a foliage disease. There are some whitish areas visible that could be Powdery Mildew.

ZM

I tried to wipe off those areas that may be powdery mildew, but nothing comes off. I do not see this all over them, so there may be something else going on, or it may not be a thing at all to worry about. I'll certainly keep inspecting them every day. It's been very hot here as of late, and they do look like they're growing well.

Again, thank you for your help.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to provide an update on my roses. Been seeing a hint of red peeking through the last few days or so, and when I looked out there this morning, I was surprised to see 3 roses on display on one of my bushes! As you can imagine, I am very excited about that! :)

Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA Thumbnail by JeffreyinGA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.