Help identify houseplant/tree (money tree?)

Martensville, Canada

I forget the name of this small tree or plant and itís struggling since I got it about a month ago. I repotted it into a bigger pot and have been watering it weekly. Itís in a north facing window so gets sun for part of the day. Many leaves are brown, completely dried and falling off, and then green leaves have spots on them that looks like a scab and is sticky. I canít see any pests on the plant and have been watching very closely. What is it and what am I doing wrong?

Thumbnail by Emh250 Thumbnail by Emh250 Thumbnail by Emh250 Thumbnail by Emh250
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Schefflera Arboricola - looks like the soil is quite dry and the pest I see looks like it might be scale.

Martensville, Canada

Yes after doing more research I think youíre right. It is scale. I have set it outside and sprayed it with a mixture of dawn dish soap and water like 10 times. There are still some things on the leaves. Should I trust that they are dead or do I need to keep spraying until they are all off?

Thumbnail by Emh250
Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

Scale is best treated with oil. Get some horticultural oil at your nursery and use it according to directions that come with it. Dawn is a detergent. Don't use it on plants. If you want to use soap for aphids or something, get Safer's soap, which is made for plants. I think you are watering it too much, too, unless it is very warm in your house. Use the oil as directed, and after a few days gently rub the scale off. More will probably come...you might miss some, some little ones might be on there. There are surely some hiding under that green plant tie, too.

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

Scale is best treated with oil. Get some horticultural oil at your nursery and use it according to directions that come with it. Dawn is a detergent. Don't use it on plants. If you want to use soap for aphids or something, get Safer's soap, which is made for plants. I think you are watering it too much, too, unless it is very warm in your house. Use the oil as directed, and after a few days gently rub the scale off. More will probably come...you might miss some, some little ones might be on there. There are surely some hiding under that green plant tie, too.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Scale is really tough to get rid off. If you use oil, you need to get every part of the plant sprayed. It has never worked well for me.

I went to a systemic that you water the soil with so no spray that gets all over me. It killed all the scale with just 1 application. Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control.

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't use systemics. I'm an organic farmer. That's why I said to use oil. If it's a small plant like this one, shouldn't be too hard to hit all the parts of the plant. They usually need 2 or 3 treatments. Not to get political, but Bayer=Monsanto...they make some nasty things.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh,I know. I can be bad! LOL I have used Neem by the buckets but some bugs just need to die fast. LOL I had a row of 8 foot oleanders that had scale so thick you could not see the bark. 2 of the trees actually died from them. I tried everything, most of which got all over me. Bayer was so fast and easy. 1 application on the soil lasts 6 months. I especially loved no spraying! But I agree, try organic first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.