Strange Rosebuds

Rome, Italy

Hi!
We're trying to figure out what happens to two rose plants (Mademoiselle Meilland and Charlotte David Austin) who have abnormal buds. The first idea was that it could be the phenomenon of cellular proliferation but we would like to have a confirmation or an alternative explanation.
Thank you!!!

This message was edited May 31, 2019 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

I think you maybe correct and rose proliferation is what has happened to your rose buds.

"Proliferation – Proliferation, or vegetative center, causes deformed rose flowers. This is one of those Mother Nature’s Kitchen items. It can occur with many rose bushes, perhaps a bit more with the floribunda roses. There is some school of thought that using high nitrogen fertilizers can bring about an imbalance within the rose bush that will cause the vegetative center. The visual of this one is a mass of green growth coming from the center of the rose bloom. It can look like a knot of green growth and even new leaves coming out of the center of the bloom. The best thing to do is to prune the bloom off down to the first 5-leafset junction with the cane and let new growth and a new bloom grow out. Genetic mutations – Another of the causes of rose deformities is really just a genetic effect, otherwise known as “an oops of nature.” These may include such things as several leaves growing together to form what appears to be one big leaf or having one bloom growing directly out of the center of a current bloom. Most rose deformities of the foliage can be a result of fungal attacks, insect damage and viruses."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Rose Deformity Info: What Causes Deformed Rose Growth https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/rose-deformity-info.htm

Photo from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pests_and_diseases_of_roses#/media/File:Rosa_%27Prolifera_de_Redout%C3%A9%27.jpg

This message was edited May 31, 2019 1:39 PM

Thumbnail by Kell
Rome, Italy

Thanks for the reply!
The reason why an alternative explanation is sought is that all the cases of cellular proliferation that happened to meet showed that the phenomenon occurred inside the flower.
Me too happened on a Rose Paris Match by Meilland, on a small anonymous rose and on a Zinnia plant.
In this case, instead, the effects of the action of this "cellular surplus" have manifested themselves outside the buds and, although we have been looking for a long time, no similar case has been found.

Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Has one of these buds matured to a bloom? How does that look? I am assuming it too will have the green growth center.

Rome, Italy

The roses have finally blossomed and appear normal (especially considering the adverse weather conditions we had for almost 2 months!) and without anomalies in the center. I insert the photos

Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.