Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

SOLVED: Last ID pls

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

A camellia?

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Richmond, TX

I don't think so. The leaf borders look too "rippled" to me. But I don't have a useful alternate suggestion.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Remind me of a magnolia but I really do not have a clue. All the camellias I have seen (which are not tons) have smallish, dark green leaves, a bit rigid.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks PP & Kell. Yes, it is rippley.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Kind of does look like a magnolia, Kelly! Maybe Magnolia Stellata?

Magnolia Stellata does have rippley leaves as I look at them on google, Butch.

What is a bit off is in the second photo it almost looks like a vine is coming up thru the tree leaves.

Could be bobthescgardene. I just do not know. Shouldn't it have blooms now or I guess it is June so no.

Posted upright.

Thumbnail by Kell
Sherwood, AR

It's definitely not a camellia. I have one and the leaves are smooth at the edges, with a sharp point (but not thornlike). I would not rule out a magnolia. I had one tree that came up kinda strange but it turned out to be a crepe myrtle, which...well, let's just say crepe myrtles are welcome in my yard. But I had never had a baby crepe myrtle that survived. Is there any way that that "vine" could be removed, or is that part of the plant?

This message was edited Jun 6, 2019 8:14 PM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Crepe myrtles seed prolifically here. I have dozens of seedlings in my lawn. If you let them go then the next thing is you have a good sized shrub, then a small tree and so on. Hard to kill a crepe myrtle. Dig them up and leave some roots behind and the roots will send up new shoots to start the cycle all over. Some crepe myrtles are not worth having - small puny blooms or too tall or whatever. Choose wisely.

Kelly, the star magnolia blooms early - like March here in Atlanta. The saucer magnolia not far behind. A late frost often kills the blooms of saucer magnolias but the star (Stellata) seems hardier against frost.

Here is my star magnolia Feb 24 this year (in flower and no leaves) and how it looked 3 days ago in leaf next to a Penny Mac hydrangea (about six feet tall).

The saucer magnolia (light purple flowers) April 6th (probably after a frost) and how it looks 3 days ago after I limbed it up some a few weeks ago. I let several saplings under it just in case I wanted to dig them up for friends/family.

I was wrong on the blooming dates. I went to last year and the saucer magnolia was starting to show in late Feb while the star was blooming in early March. The last photo was Feb 24, 2018

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that is certainly a deciduous magnolia of some sort, favoring Magnolia x soulangeana more than M. stellata.

There are many other hybrids out there too, notably M. x loebneri of which Star Magnolia is one parent.

You likely won't have an absolute ID until you can see some buds form for next years flowers, or until flowering time come your TX spring.

Edited for spelling...

This message was edited Jun 8, 2019 11:41 AM

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I took another pic. I guess deciduous magnolia is likely. I will close this as solved.

Thumbnail by vossner

Beautiful magnolias, Butch, Your saucer magnolia is JUST HUGE. So many blooms!

Here crepe myrtles do not reseed, at least in my yard. I haven't seen any growing uninvited anywhere.

Nery, are these your trees? Did you move and have a new garden?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.