What type of berries are these?

Orangeville, Canada

We moved into our new house last summer and had 5 or 6 bushes that were overgrown and intertwined.

We trimmed them back this summer and realized there are two separate types. But not sure what they are?

Bush Type 1 (first photo) from what I remember last summer, were red berries? Iím pretty confident they are red currants?

Bush Type 2 (the rest of the photos) I have no idea. The size of the bush and leaves are almost identical to the first bush, but have individual larger flowers and berries??

We have a toddler that eats ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. So we want to know if itís edible or not....

Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 8, 2019 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by Niki9491 Thumbnail by Niki9491 Thumbnail by Niki9491 Thumbnail by Niki9491
Groveland, FL

They look like currants.

Orangeville, Canada

How sure are you? I donít want my son to get poisoned...

What kind of currant if not the typical red?

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

Take the pictures and/or plant parts to a trusted nursery person in your area to find out for sure. Don't want your son to get poisoned. I'm not even going to guess what it is.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Red Currants (Ribes rubrum) and Black Currants (Ribes nigrum) will have edible fruit. As you can see from the links provided below, there are many named selections in a variety of fruit colors in these species. Variation in foliage sizes is a natural condition as well.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search/results.php?genus=Ribes&speci=rubrum

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search/results.php?genus=Ribes&speci=nigrum

Of course, edible to some people is not necessarily edible to others - considering human allergies to all kinds of things. If you don't want your child to eat anything in your landscape, keep him restrained from those objects - as you would do inside your house. People do this all the time without erasing the world around them.

Additionally, currants are available for purchase as raw fruit as well as in prepared items like preserves or jelly. You could "test drive" a small amount this way to determine tolerance levels.

Enjoy having this bountiful and wonderful plant in your landscape.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.