What bush is this?

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Iím pretty sure I asked this before but I canít find the post. Anyone know what this might be? Iíve had it for about 3-4 years but I didnít plant it. I really need to trim it because itís hanging very low in my garden. Yet I really donít want to trim it because the bumblebees LOVE it. Iím posting full bloom and pre bloom pictures and it does have thorns. .

Thumbnail by LOVIE2 Thumbnail by LOVIE2 Thumbnail by LOVIE2 Thumbnail by LOVIE2
Richmond, TX

Mock Orange?

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from porkpal :
Mock Orange?

No. I think it may be a musk rose or Japanese rose.

Richmond, TX

Musk roses have at least 5 petals. Also the foliage does not look rose-like to me.

Bretten, Germany

Seems to be Rosa multiflora. The big leaves in front of pic3 don't belong to your plant in question, I guess?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That is undoubtedly a Rosa sp., and I agree with suse that it is Rosa multiflora - a common exotic invasive pest plant bent on landscape domination.

Pinnate compound leaves with alternate arrangement along the stems, with the "flare" on the petiole, is the epitome of Rose-dom. I see mostly 5 petaled flowers, typical to Rosaceae. Thorns "nail" down the ID.

If you can't bear to part with the bumblebee attractor, then whack it back hard after flowering. That will eliminate potential for fruit formation, which is what will allow its spread to other landscapes when birds consume the small plentiful rose hips and then poop out seeds all over the world. Don't worry - it will rebound with a vengeance and flower again next year.

I'd rather you just destroy it entirely, and plant anyone of a thousand other bee-friendly species that BELONG in your part of the gardening world. Viburnums, Clethra, native Roses, Winterberry Hollies, Dogwoods, and members of Vaccinium will all attract and support pollinating insects in Massachusetts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.