Identify - maroon plant

Armonk, NY

Please help. Its a fast spreading plant. What do i want to know? Do i need to get rid of it? It gets pretty tall. Thank you!

This message was edited Jun 10, 2019 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by simonziff
Armonk, NY

someone have a guess? please help! thanks

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

You need to provide more information. Is it hairy or smooth, how tall does it get, does it flower, does it spread by runners or seed, is it in sun or shade, is the stem round or is it square, like mints and other Salvias, is it an annual or perennial...

Armonk, NY

Ok then. More info. It gets to be about 2-3 feet tall. Itís an annual. It spreads by seed like crazy. It has a deep purple Maroon color. It grows in shade or sun. I hope that helps.

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

Possibly an amaranth, if it's got a big mess of tiny flowers when it matures, right at the top. Post an image when it flowers. If you like the way it looks, no reason to get rid of it. Search amaranth on your search engine and you might be able to find out that way.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you remember what the flower looks like?

Could be an Amaranthus. Maybe Amaranthus hypochondriacus.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32136/

Concord, NC

This is a VERY long shot, but what if it's an unhealthy Strobilanthus? I know mine looked similar to this before I moved them out of the sun.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Square stems? It looks like a perilla seedling. I made the mistake of bringing home some seed ten years ago, growing it intentionally for that one summer and am still pulling it up out of beds all spring and summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.