Vining Weed In N. Colorado

Fort Collins, CO

First noticed this weed a decade ago and let now see it all over town. When pulled, the roots come out with the plant. The flowers are nondescript. I took it to the county weed bureau and they could not id it. A few years ago I went back and they thought it was a type of buckwheat. It does look like the buckwheat images that I have seen online. I now see it all over town...and pull hundreds in my yard.
Did I discover the beginnings of a noxious weed outbreak?
The blue-flowered weed in the upper-right background is also a nuisance as it as prickly stems.

Thumbnail by ronold
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

There are so many heart shaped vining weed like plants. How about Fallopia convolvulus?

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/202550/

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not a buckwheat. They aren't vining. Could be a convolvulus perhaps. Have you seen flowers on it? Oh, look, Kell just suggested a convolvulus. There are several different species. Look up convolvulus and choose to see images. I think we're on the right track. The perennial convolulus is invasive (such as the agricultural pain "bindweed", and there is a pretty but thuggish wild purple/blue one that gets gigantic...

Fort Collins, CO

I believe that is it! I posted a negative on the thread from the link. Like someone said, you miss pulling one and have hundreds to pull the next year!
Leafy Spurge is similarly difficult to eradicate hear although it is a rhizome perennial.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.