SOLVED: Please help me to Id this outdoor plant

Califon, NJ

Noticed these 2 plants last summer. No flowers but plenty of moth/butterfly larvae.. 4 different species actually. This year both plants came back and are larger and there are many smaller tiny plants throughout the garden and lawn that look similar...?? The 1rst and 3rd photos are of Plant #1.... the 2nd photo is of plant #2 ....&. the fourth and fifth photo are two different newersmaller plants. Thank you for any help

Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012
Califon, NJ

Anybody??

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

The 2nd one looks like ragweed to me. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Gahanna, OH(Zone 6b)

Do you know which species of larvae, as that may help to narrow down the plants as well. To me, several of the photos resemble members of the carrot family, which are known to host black swallowtail caterpillars.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

It looks like my wild carrot, daucus carota.

Califon, NJ

ok, so i will post photos of the larvae but i was told from a friend that it is either wild carrot or queen anne's lace. queen anne's lace would make a lot of sense since i did sprinkle my garden 2 summers ago with late summer queen anne's lace flowers ( i know caterpillars love it which was my plan)...i had simply forgotten about the queen anne's lace until a friend told me it may be that...

Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012 Thumbnail by donna1012
Gahanna, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes, Daucus carota would make sense if planted there, as Queen Anne’s lace and wild carrot are synonyms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.