Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

July, Challenges ,projects, organizing ourselves and sharing with friends!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1507532/

Lordy where has time gone...guess we’ve all been in the gardens..

As close to sewing I have been was my trip to buffalo last weekend for fall fabric..time to start right?

Photo option not working..says I’ve no photos..sure hope when I check my photo’s they are still there.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2019 4:29 PM

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I went to Joann's and bought less than I ever have!! LOL... one spool of thread, 2 spools of ribbon.

I did buy the rest of the fabric I needed for a backing at Walmart. It's a black with abstract streaks of bright colors. I have used it in a BIG pinwheel and I am afraid they will discontinue it before I get the 2 quilts completed. I have found the smaller one but not the big one.... I am planning on practicing the longarm on the smaller one before moving on to the large one. it's the same big pinwheel and that will give us a chance to see how we do.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.

I was working in the wisteria and flowered plum bushes and got bit by something on the outer part of right forearm. It is swollen about the diameter of a quarter and warm, with slight rise in middle. Itches and all I can do to leave it alone. If it doesn't improve by Wednesday (or gets worse ANYTIME soon) I will make appointment with PCP.

In typical ADD fashion, I did more weeding (but never finished ONE area), pruned MORE along patio (but don't have all trimmings picked up). Started cutting off the "suckers" off the maple tree and realized I did not have room in garbage and needed bigger cutter than the one I had with me (so stopped that).

Annie is here for her first and only day of training. Ok, maybe I'll hang around next weekend to watch her wrap Ben, that's the only tricky part. She is a self starter and ASKs if she can clean bathroom when done with mopping kitchen. YEAHHHH!!! Maybe I'll have clean bathrooms again! Haven't really had that since Maricella left & I hired the neighbor boy 2 weeks ago or so..

Praying she works out for you.

Victoria Harbour, ON

‘ Pat, can just see you rushing a boat in the gardens wanting to accomplish much for doing little because you’ve a dozen projects on the go...that is me on any given day! I am caught up though with the help of Devon..everything to my liking..well worth the. $$$ but just for a fleeting moment I think ‘had I done the work I’d have extra $$ for my Roadtrip’ then I say self ‘you know you couldn’t have done done it,think of pain you’d be in..’

I am WAY PAST feeling bad about paying for help! I routinely hire the neighbor boys to help me. Sometimes it's just carrying boxes out to the storage barn. That's only 20 yards (or 40 for Barn #2) but they can get it done in minutes and it takes me forever and I hurt. I would MUCH rather get LOTS done & pay some money!!! Be free to PLAY!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hard to believe we're so far into July........ and on Aug 3 Susan will be coming to visit. I was just out delivering flyers for our August 2nd Annual Park BBQ on Aug 10th. Busy season ahead for us.
Still feel a tightness in my chest, but I'm sure it'll be fine soon 👍

Betty, when are you leaving for your summer trip? Where are you going?

Glad you are feeling better Susan and I hope they find answers and relief for you.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Couldn't sleep, so here I am.... took something to sleep & hope it "kicks in".

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well LINDA Kay we are suppose to leave on 26th at noon, Linda had Dave at emerge last night, it’s a bad hernia so she is waiting for call from surgeons office today,if no call she will go to their office tomorrow..not sure how long you are in hospital after having done and how long she would have to be with him after surgery at home while he is recovering.

Then SUZANNE has some issues and not sure either so if ny end of next week we will have to make a choice, might have to be like last year that Rita and I fly somewhere, rent a car and travel..know we wanted to do north carol8na and South Carolina..might mean I should be working on 2 trip just incase. ..life happens and always seems at roadtrip time..

Sorry to hear of all those who are not feeling well. Sure hope you get to go on your trip.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Likely Rita and I...must check on flights to different places

Seems like the older we get, the more complications. So many people depending on us.
Marie & I got 2 little quilts done on the long arm today. We had NO trouble loading it, the machine didn't fight us, so we felt very successful; ready to take on the real deal now. I still can't find some of the quilt tops I had ready or some of the blocks that are ready to be sashed and ready.... including a big Halloween one that was almost done!! GRRRRR

I hope you find them. Maybe safely tucked in your barn?

Yea, that's my guess, in the barn. tonight I cut the bindings for 3 small quilts and got the binding attached but not folded over & done/ I hope to get it to work and baste it in place before machine stitching the finish on binding. I don't think my hands could handle finishing the binding by hand. I might not be able to baste it either!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pat, my DGD convinced me to try using those clips instead of pining. I love them, easier to put in place and remove, but best part is I no longer get picked by pins while stitching.

Do they slide off easy, or do they stay put?

Victoria Harbour, ON

I use them when hand sewing binding, works great

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

They stay put, easier to put on than pins.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I planted this peony in 2018, and this year it has it's first bloom. I think of Carol when I think of peonies. They wouldn't stand up to her prize winning peonies, but still.....
This is a mock orange bush that I brought with us in Aug 2016. Stuck in the garden soil, and in its "forever home" in 2017. Had quite a bit of pruning of the old, deadwood. Now, it's blooming :)

This message was edited Jul 10, 2019 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Got the binding done on my Green & black pinwheel and Marie's baby pink one. The binding is 1/2 on the gray & pink throw. Will finish after work Thursday and take pics then.

I've got some clips but I have been using them to put "things together" like Doll skirt & shirt & coordinating pants etc rather than risk pins in them. I'll have to try them instead of pins for the actual sewing.
SOME PRETTY flowers!! Saving an old friend and having it bloom in new home is so rewarding! My Stargazers are finally in bloom this year, a couple of weeks behind schedule.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan..I remember when you went to get that special peony from Carol's garden when she passed away. It is lovely..such a wonderful deep red.

Beautiful blooms Susan.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

and now, I can't see the beautiful blooms...….. Hi - typing this from the hospital. Got admitted yesterday. Blood clots (multiple) in my lungs again. After my Echo in March (clear) and 2 & 1 week ago of x-rays (clear), they finally found them Thurs afternoon when they did a CT Scan on me. Admitted right away. I'm feeling better today, but I was pretty terrified. Started feeling pain in my rib cage Wed night & took Tylenol, That worked a bit, but when I broke into cold sweats that soaked my housecoat, I told Bob & I called 911.
I will be in for about a total of 3 days, apparently. I'll let you know as I know.....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

and now, I can't see the beautiful blooms...….. Hi - typing this from the hospital. Got admitted yesterday. Blood clots (multiple) in my lungs again. After my Echo in March (clear) and 2 & 1 week ago of x-rays (clear), they finally found them Thurs afternoon when they did a CT Scan on me. Admitted right away. I'm feeling better today, but I was pretty terrified. Started feeling pain in my rib cage Wed night & took Tylenol, That worked a bit, but when I broke into cold sweats that soaked my housecoat, I told Bob & I called 911.
I will be in for about a total of 3 days, apparently. I'll let you know as I know.....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Goodness Susan. Sorry to hear you are in the hospital. Please take care of yourself. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

I am glad to hear they FINALLY found the problem & are being treated appropriately IN the hospital. I will bet you were scared!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sun is shinning, a tad too wet yet to play outside so working on a fall project..last few days I managed to cut 6 kits as the ladies find it hard to get around to quilts shops so I get everything together and make kits..have six done, mine being done in most land scrap fabric I had, believe I’ve and extra kit in my bag50 make one for Melanie..looking all over for twine rope for bows, know ive a roll somewhere but where?

Hoping to quilt the panel this afternoon and put the bench pillow together.

I gave 2 coats of finish to the face leaf I repainted and need to get that hun and grass cut.. that should fill in my day..

Waiting for update Susan..

Please post photos of your projects when they are done Betty. We would love to see them.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi - still in the hospital. Don't think I'm going home tomorrow though. My Heparin iv has stabilized, so that's good. I just had an x-ray to check for pneumonia and I do NOT have it. They think the dry cough is due to an irritation due to all that's going on in my lungs and should clear up by itself (I sure HOPE so - I've had this for over a month now....). I'm walking around, and went outside for 5 min, but then it started to rain. I've had the gamut of tests today (bloodwork, x-ray, etc) so think I'm going to go lay down. Expecting company today, so want to be awake when they come.
These are flowers I got from the Red Hatters group, and some cards from friends :)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Doesn’t it make you feel so much better Susan getting a bouquet and cards...well you’ve crossed a lot of health concerns out so now if they can pinpoint the cause.sounds like you are resting well, that is a good sign.

If I got at it, made my way downstairs I could likely finish the fall pillow in an hour, had to talk myself into cutting grass, then into making a Ruby Applesauce cake, am chilled, filled the tub to soak, but much too hot so waiting for it too cool, could go downstairs for half hour, or soak but knowing me I’d have burnt cake..

Now if you were to say, off your lazy butt girl I might get an hour of sewing done.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

just had 2 sets of visitors - 2 ladies from church, and then the manager & her hubby from the Bowling lanes - also brought me flowers.
They didn't stay long, Deb & Joe, because there's a tornado watch & it's starting to rain. Still, it was nice to see the 4 of them :)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

just had 2 sets of visitors - 2 ladies from church, and then the manager & her hubby from the Bowling lanes - also brought me flowers.
They didn't stay long, Deb & Joe, because there's a tornado watch & it's starting to rain. Still, it was nice to see the 4 of them :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hi there, much of my time now that I’m off the couch after shoulder and arm gave me so much trouble and pain that I’m busy playing catch up in gardens..Lordy within a week I can’t believe the growth.

But played a bit, did our roadtrip trip bag, did fall people and working on day at the lake quilt top.

Hoping to get at it once I’m back from holidays.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty, Those bags are wonderful! I'll bet you all get lots of compliments on them from people you meet along the way.

Beautiful projects Betty. Pretty soon you will have to fly to Hawaii to fill those spots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.