Two separate plants - both Buckthorn?

Littleton, MA

Hello, I'm having a difficult time going back and forth between invasive and non-invasive (Massachusetts). Any help will be appreciated. I'd like to remove it asap if its invasive but if not, I'd prefer to just clean it up a bit.

The first one almost seems like glossy and common buckthorn combined in one spot. The second one seems like buckthorn but there aren't any berries.

Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Your first picture looks to clearly be a Buckthorn.

I think your second image is a shrubby Dogwood (Cornus sp.).

Cut a branch or two, and photo the details of the leaves, stems, buds, etc. in a clear manner rather than "on the hoof" in order to positively ID that plant.

Littleton, MA

Thanks for the response. It's nice to know I can start clearing the Buckthorn.

I added some more photos of the possible Dogwood shrub. I took them before going to work thinking I had enough clear ones but maybe not. I figured I would add them anyway and add cut a few branches and take a few more snapshots as you suggested if these don't suffice.

Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Cut some branches.

Also, you've only shown images of the upper parts of these plants. Show us some main stems/trunks and how these come out of the ground.

Littleton, MA

A few more pics

Littleton, MA

Uploaded pics

Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf Thumbnail by Timmatkf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.