Bergamot?bee Balm

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I had to relocate many of my herbs to a different location a few years back. Since then, some survived and some never did survive that 1st winter. Now all of a sudden I have this plant showing up where I transplanted it, and in other areas of my yard also. Just would like to clarify that it is in fact what I think it is. I go with safety first, than to be sorry later. I think this is Bergamot, as it seems to fit all the descriptions in my plant identification book, but would rather see what you all think. Thanks in advance:)

Thumbnail by Sun569OH Thumbnail by Sun569OH
Medford, OR(Zone 8b)

That isn't the type of leaf my several different kinds of beebalm have. The flower looks more like, in fact, just like, my coyote mint. It seems to have a square stem, and with that flower, it's obviously a mint or balm of some kind. I'd encourage it myself!

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Looked up coyote mint and it says it's a lower flowering plant. These are about 3 1/2' to 4' tall. Have no clue, but am unsure if it's safe to dry and use in teas? Thanks :)

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

Does it have a lemony smell?

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Hard to say, as I planted it in the only spot left, right by my lemon mint and lemon balm??

West Babylon, NY

It looks like bee balm to me. Leaves should smell like oregano. Love it.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks a lot like this one.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/311383/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.