Araucaria repotting

Parsippany, NJ

Hello all; I'm looking for advice on an Araucaria tree my family has as an indoor plant. It was sold as a Norfolk Island pine tree (no scientific name) at a local grocery store during the winter holiday season back in 2006. I figure it's probably A. columnaris, A. heterophylla, or a hybrid.

1. What size pot should I get for it? It's grown quite a bit since 2006... It's now 50 inches tall and 58 inches across at the widest point. I'm not sure how tall I should expect it to get indoors. As long as it stays small enough to fit out the door when I move from this house I'm fine to let it grow bigger. I am in USDA grow zone 6b so the winters are too cold for this to ever be an outdoor tree.

2. Do I need to be careful about the soil I use? So far this has been pretty low maintenance. We used whatever soil it was sold with plus some standard bagged potting soil (can't remember exactly what it was).

Thumbnail by Axelorox
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Eventually it will get so big you will have a hard time finding space for it. I have had a few over the decades and I finally gave up on trying to keep it in a small defined space.

Good potting soil should be fine as I used Miracle Gro potting mix in the past. Pot size is up to you - the bigger the pot, the faster the plant will grow and the bigger it will get.

I think this one I had at our last house was over six feet tall in a fairly small clay pot.

This is what they were selling at our Kroger's at Xmas. Most will end up on the compost heap in a few months.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.