Plant identification. It faded last week in southern NH

Nashua, NH

Hello,

I'm interested in this beauty. It must be about 4' tall and it's the first time I've seen it and I would've noticed it if it was there last year. I'm by this place a lot getting my coffee drink.

It sits on manicured office park land. Landscape company unknown or I try there first.

I wonder what it is, and how it's propagated.

Thank you for looking,
Ann

Thumbnail by escapetonh Thumbnail by escapetonh
Richmond, TX

I think it looks like elderberry. You can grow it from seed; there will soon be hundreds of little berries, each containing a seed.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Best also to say that it is a tree... and both the flowers and subsequent berries make good wine - the former makes a very drinkable champagne-like wine in a few months.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Can be weedy due to all the seeds but if you cut them the seedlings down as they come up, they are manageable. The scent in spring reminds me of vanilla. I never harvest the berries but they do look tempting.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You can get seedlings from birds eating the fruit then pooping them out in various places, but I bet you get suckers from the root system (it is a tenacious colonizer) around your garden beds much sooner.

That is the easiest way to propagate as well. If you get a chunk of the root system, you will sprout a new plant.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, much more difficult to eradicate than to propagate!

Dansville, NY

I believe it is Queen Anne's Lace - Daucus Carota

This message was edited Aug 12, 2019 4:41 PM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The leaves point more to Elderberry (Sambucus) than Queen Anne's Lace.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.