Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

AUGUST Challenges, Projects & Organizing Ourselves..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1509587/?page=3#post_10439391

Photo from Pinterest, my next project

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.
I love that pillow.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cute little feller.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Did they add shading to the buttons for the eyes?? Clever idea!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks to me like painted eyes.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I believe itís buttons but beforeQ they added them tea died fabric a little then dry brushed rouge.. itís the way I will do it.. I will look at it closer and see if I can see what kind of fabric they used then fake it!

Iíve had a busy morning and will have a busy afternoon,rained last night and Iím waiting for it to dry before Iím out cutting the grass so Iíve a Timmies coffee from earlier that Jeff got for me, Iíll sit and sip on it and trace the Halloween bench pillow..will use different fabrics than the greys they used...that ought to keep me out of mischief for a few hours, lord forbit I just sit!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Yeah, just sitting is for the birds!!! I had a coworker ask "don't you EVER stop working?" (I was cutting out doll clothes on my break). "not if I can help it!"

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well I did a lot of sitting but I was hand sewing while sitting. A friend asked me to see if I can repair a quilt her grandmother made her when she was 16. Thank goodness it's only twin size. It's all hand sewn and hand quilted, simple sunbonnet Sue design. Main problem finding similar fabrics. Mostly small calico style small floral prints. A friend helped me with some of them but still looking for a few. Some of the fabrics are still in good shape but most are worn right through. She has used and loved her quilt.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wonder in the yardage an elderly lady gave me if there is something suitable..what colours,designs...these are retro fabrics for sure.

Karen, if you were sewing you were NOT just sitting!!! A friend of Ben's asked if I would restore a quilt her mother in law gave them. I pointed out the commercial tag on it, "made in China" and explained it was not some heirloom and NOT worth all the time it took to repair.

Marie & I bought this stuff at the Sewing Expo that you sprinkle on & iron over Teflon sheet and it mends stuff. Pretty awesome but it sure won't take care of "worn right through". The coolest part is that it isn't hard, stays very pliable and soft, can't even tell you mended unless you can see the patch from the back side of project. .

Tired... thinking a nap might be nice!

Victoria Harbour, ON

What is it called Pat?

I did a little bit on the Halloween bench pillow, bought painters canvas, am hoping to get kits cut tomorrow for the Ohio girls, Iíll have their family names ready for embroidery..want to have everything made that needs doing like birdhouses, picked up driftwood for the garden piece..few more weeks so need to get a move on, but tonight I rest lol

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's actually coming along pretty well. I get a couple blocks done a day. Hand sewing is hard for me so I need to take breaks when my hands start cramping. I think she will like it when I'm done. Any pieces I have to remove, I'm tucking in behind the dress part of Sunbonnet Sue. That way all the original parts will still be there.

That is truly a labor of love.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm having a problem with my foot and can't walk much so sitting & sewing is about all I can do. Takes me a couple hours to do the hand work on each block if it needs total replacement. Then I go to basement to cut, fit, and pin the next block, back to the porch for the sewing. Took a break yesterday, just a couple miles away is a large sunflower field and they are all blooming. Very pretty but lots of bees.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Did you hurt yourself Karen? Labour of love for sure! Many more hours left to finish?

Worked outside for a few hours and in between Iíve taken breaks and worked on the bench pillow.

When mom left and wasnít sure she would be back I had SHARON unplug the water feature pump, wonít pump now...just finished lunch, going to drain it until I can get in and check it, hopingi donít need a new one as they are several hundred dollars for one as strong..

Goal is to get that done, weed a bit more near back patio and finish the blocks I need for beach pillow..might even squeeze in sanding of birdhouse.

Best I not sit here as Iíll get nothing done

Betty, Bo-Nash Fuse It Power and Bo-Nash Giant Sheet. www.bonash.com is their online shop. I got it at special price at the Expo show. it was amazing to watch the demo. I got it out to get YOU the info, now I can get around to using it for a project or two that I had set aside LOL. You can also use it for turning any piece of embroidery of cut fabric into an applique. THAT should come in handy as I cut up a project that has cute applique piece on it but the clothing item is trash due to stains.

Last night I tore my sewing area apart looking for a doll I misplaced. (The 2nd time I have misplaced a doll for same person! HummmmmÖ does my subconscious tell me I do NOT want to give her one? I don't know.) today I will bag up the doll & finish some clothes for it and call her. THEN it won't be my responsibility any longer!!

I am trying to clean up and put all doll clothes stuff aside so I can switch gears and get a quilt top put together. I have one done but I don't want to quilt it yet. It is one of my favorite combinations and I want to be more confident before quilting it. I have the Longarm reserved for next week from Monday.

Some how I am going to have to find a way to be organized. I just have never found something in the sewing area that WORKS for me. Guess I keep trying. Marie's sewing room is AMAZING!!! She has wrapped ALL of her fabric on cardboard and has it standing in shelves, grouped by color so you can see it all. She has more choices of fabric (but less yardage per fabric of course) than most quilt shops around here! Since most of what I sew is the doll clothes for the doll project we are doing together, I shop there "for free".

It's fun to find something I LOVE and see her pretend to "pout" cuz I took it!! Of course there are fabric SHE has plans for that I can't take!!! She finished redoing the main bathroom in monkey prints and I was not allowed to touch any of coordinating fabric until she finished.

Unfortunately a WHOLE LOT of my fabrics are clothes that are being repurposed so it does not lend itself to that kind of display that Marie does. Plus, buying 40+ more pieces of baby clothes to re-work into doll clothes last week didn't help! I try to not be too hard on myself. It's not like I am not getting stuff done... doll clothes are being completed. just not in clean organized way. Aw the joys of ADD!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you for the ono, must try it! Omg Can you possibly stay organized that when youíre as busy as you are I donít know how you do what you do.

Got an email this morning telling me that classes are starting mid-September for embroidery projects, none seem too exciting but I guess it is the learning process. Not so sure I want to pincushion Lory of already got more than I need.

Iíve worked really hard today, the pond is nearly empty, The pump runs for a few seconds then stops so Iím not quite sure if itís clogged so gonna do my best maybe thereís a short in it guess Iíll soon find out. In the meantime Iíve been pulling out weeds, God Iím a stubborn person Iím hurting like the dickens but I wonít stop project needs done.

Luckily I was in the house having lunch when Greg came or I get the what for, he wouldíve stayed and helped but he was heading to Barrie As he had a leak in the pool, everybody busy busy. Sitting up here near the pond very relaxing, that being said thereís a zillion mosquitoes trying to get my blood so once I get myself organized Iím heading inside and might get some sewing done But Iíve a feeling that once I go inside and have a hot bath from being in the pond thatíll be it for me.

If it is the the pump itself I have one that I can use with the waterfall, donít like it as much as the spray but heíll get me through until I get to Buffalo theyíre much cheaper there

Betty, did you get your new commode installed?

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty I have Plantar FasiitisÖ.means my feet hurt. Feels like I have a stone under my heel. Left is bad and right getting there. I wear a special boot in the evening and had to buy special shoes for daytime. special of course means expensive. They do seem to be helping so..... Dr wanted me to wear the boot to bed however, you cannot walk in it and I told him I get up several times in the night, just too much hassle for me. I spend a few hours either reading or on the computer in the evening so I wear it then.
Anyhow sitting and sewing feels good to me now.

We went yesterday to a sunflower field near here. It was really pretty but full of bees. Got a cute pic of Sammy and Payton and his girlfriend. Imagine I have a great grand old enough to have a girlfriend!

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma

Karen, I had surgery on both of my feet, for plantar fasciitis.
Don't do it. It doesn't help. I have to wear shoes with a good arch in them. I can't walk barefoot. My feet scream if I try.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

No way am I considering surgery. The shoes are helping a bunch, I don't know that it will ever be healed. The boot is a waste, waiting to see what it's going to cost me, what ever ins. doesn't pay. I have extremely high arches any how, I've always needed the support, not that I always wore the best. Probably why I'm in this fix. Shame on me for just wearing slippers around the house, just bought a new pair too, Dang.

I had such a light case of PF I was able to turn it around with proper foot stretching, NO barefoot and better shoes. Sounds like I was VERY lucky! I did wear a foot brace thing to bed for a short time.

You are lucky Pat.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Other than losing ones sight I would say feet come next to being one of the worse things to have, barring cancel and heart of course)!

Picked up wood for 7 birdhouses, of course I do not need 7 but what is left Iíll use for Christmas gifts..thought while making a mess Iíd make a big one.

not hungry but cooking yellow beans, new potatoes and have, can see leftovers in my future.

Ziggy wants out but Iím worried about the skunk..he seems cautious, as though searching for a mortal enemy when outside so who knows maybe he can fend for himself.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

My right foot is just starting to hurt so hoping this will cut it off at the pass. The boot he wants me to wear to bed, you cannot walk on. So with me getting up 4+ times a night for pottie calls makes the boot too impractical. I really think the shoes are helping. Does hurt like the dickens when I first get up but eases up before long.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Janice who comes sewing on Mondayís has same..she wears a large boot and goes for therapy 3 times a week, seems to be helping. Must be so frustrating for you, luckily you have something to entertain yourself, makes it bearable..

This message was edited Aug 12, 2019 10:12 PM

YES! Getting up in the morning hurts!! LOL.. I'm always a little unsteady and in pain first thing in the morning. Finally got back on the exercise bike this morning after LONG break... started at just a mile again.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Almost done with Halloween bench pillow, will finish today..must cut the package of floor cloth into pillow kits for the girls, thinking of getting those cut as well..pond needs my attention if I get these things done Iíll be pleased with my day..

Good luck with the exercise bike Pat, no sense me ever getting one as Iíd not be committed and just something to collect dust!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

My mom rode her bikes (she went through 3) the equivalent of to California and back twice.

This is the quilt I fixed and a few of the blocks before. I replaced all or part of 8 blocks.

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma
Victoria Harbour, ON

What a transformation Karen..you can see how well loved it was..sure hope one day some of my quilts look the same.

When will you give it to her? Lordy there are no words, how kind you are, act of love and kindness for sure.

A stationary bike Karen?

Karen, that is beautiful.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes stationary bikes.
I return the quilt next time I see her, she lives an hour away. I sent the pic. she happy with it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

No doubt she is happy!!

What have you been up to LindaKay?

Finished Halloween bench pillow top..only bench pillow pattern I have that I didnít do is the Christmas wreath..guess that will be next

Your restoration project is an incredible act of love! So much work!!

My proposal for $7,000 lift for the client was APPROVED!!! doing the happy dance!

This message was edited Aug 14, 2019 3:01 AM

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy for your client.
Working on the quilt made me nervous. I know how much it means to her, I was so afraid of messing something up. Originally everything was outlined with an overcast stitch but if she want that redone, either she has to do it or find someone else. Way too much hand work for me. I can show her how.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well you need not have been nervous with all your sewing experience Karen!
Need to wash the floors, then head outside, itís an even # watering day here so I get to give the gardens a good soak,

Top of Halloween bench pillow just needs backing insert, that is this afternoons project..

Joanne said she would be here around 9:30 so best I get up and at it..

Went to quilting today. Working on 4 QOV quilts for ladies in our group that served. Oldest lady just turned 82.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Busy lady, hope you can share..
Doc just left..was already in Jammieís and heading to bed lol
Got me at a good time, was really paining

Hope you get a good night's sleep.
I will post photos when they are done.

Can't wait to see your pics Linda.
Betty, an early bedtime does sound good!
karen, when did you say your friend will get her quilt? It sure turned out nice.

I drug quilt blocks out of the storage and I'm trying to decide which group to sew into a quilt top for Monday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.