SEPTEMBER Challenges, Projects & Organizing Ourselves, sharing with friends!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy, doesnít it just feel as though we were talking about summer and here we are thinking of fall and Christmas!

We came from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1512590/?page=6#post_10444148

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Ordered a machine embroidery in the hoop design, thinking Christmas..

Best I get energetic, buying it is first step right?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new room Betty.
That design is so pretty.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I am buying my sister's embroidery machine, shortly I will be looking for designs and quilt blocks that lend themselves to decorative embellishments! For now, I have Marie doing small snowflakes on cornerstones for my next snowflake quilt top.
I finally got my Halloween wall hanging top done & ready for next week long arm.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

You girls make me want to dust off my sewing machine and see if I can even remember how to work it! LOL. I admire everyone's talent here. Not to mention your ambition despite pain issues.
I was just looking at my fall decorations in the basement today. Trying to organize things a bit.
I have my sis and her family coming from London ON on the weekend. They have a wedding in Cobourg and they will be staying here overnight. Arriving at lunchtime so we can have a visit before they head off. I will make a frittata for breakfast on Sunday. I have made chili and have garlic bread for lunch when they arrive on Sat.

LOL, ya but Carol, I DO NOT cook! Not that I can't, it's one thing my husband can do and enjoys. SoooooÖ sometimes it's on time, sometimes it's edible.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - after I do some repair work on some made-by-me and returned-to-me church banners, I have some knitting of a hooded sweater for me, then...... oh wow - quilting lol Seems to me that I have some red-work squares that "someone" thoughtfully sent me that I'm going to incorporate in something They are so beautiful - Santas.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Make a pretty Christmas pillow Susan. Will they build a new church to replace the one they are taking down?

Pat, chuckling on your, sometimes itís edible. Lol

Carole, is it today your sister and family arrive? With being so active in the gardens what do you entertain yourself with come fall and winter? Maybe you could take your machine out then and play with us...

I ordered a wool pennyrug design last month, fall design so think I will play with that today

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty, I find the winters hard, but I go to an exercise class twice a week. It is sponsored by the VON. I also watch a lot more TV. I go to lunch after the Monday exercise class with my friend. She doesn't go to the Thursday one. I read books more in the winter too.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, sun is trying to come out but they still say rain..

Just getting ready to go let Sophie and Ned out this morning, Greg and Mel are gone to an island cottage so Iím doing early morning, night out8ng and Larry and Janice taking them for a walk...

Iím then off to Cookstown fabric shop, itís south a Barrie, about an hourís drive, Sharon is coming with me so we might go look for flooring and I looking for a wing chair...

Have some projects started, my weekend goal, to use up a few scrap pieces of wood, work on fall penny rug, base for knife and apple..a stop at michaels should get all the supplies I need to finish these by then it will be Monday lol

Haircut and the doll project for me. I would like to get a 2nd quilt top 100% ready for the long arm Monday.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hope you get your projects done Pat, how many hours do you have on long arm?

Sharon and I dropped off in Cookstown for a few things, both of us saw a penguin throw done in blues, blocks are done in star design, we both fell in love with it..done in flannel..kit $169.00 or patter on its own, they were out of patterns, order coming in next week so put my name on the list for one, almost tempted to buy the kit.

I usually make a few nieces something in Christmas design, they had a snowman runner that looks quite easy so bought pattern and will make 4..just as easy cutting pieces out in multitudes as cutting 1.

Saw this jar pillow and loved it but it was $40, know I can make similar for less

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Both of those projects are beautiful.

Victoria Harbour, ON

A thought I might order kit for me and Sharon , called and asked if backing included, nope so thinking about it

I LOVE the penguin throw.

We had a storm last night as well. Rained HARD, added bonus is that it washed out the maple seeds out of the gutters! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pat,Sharon and I ordered the penguin quilt, should be cut and dreads for pick up in next few weeks..this morning didnít I find a little piece of Xmas plaid that I was able to cut out 4 santaís (Need 2 per table runner) then I was able to sew what was left together and cut 2 more (1 more runner) funniest thing, without thinking I jut cut them out and noticed how I sewed together and cut it look like a coat opening..pieces I had left I cut holly leaves out, might add them to the once Iím faking lol

Also got hand towel set monogrammed for Paul for office, companyís initials..girls asked me to put monogram higher up on towel so they could dry their ha DOís without using the monogram area ..

Might see what I have that has wonder under on so I can cut mitts,top hat, collar and snowman face..love sitting quietly and hand cutting..should cut grass before that though.

What are you all up to?

I had the 2 oldest grandsons here for a few days. Took them back home today. This old lady is going to bed early tonight.
I was stunned to see how much they can eat. Holy cow!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - the church has been sold to the head office and they're putting a Senior's residence on the lot. It was only built in the 50's so not that old, but there's no way to remake it into anything but a public building and it wouldn't suit as a residence.
The congregation will find another church to go to, in the neighbourhood. It's a small congregation of 30 at most. Should be easy to fit them into another church nearby.
I got about a bushel of apples from our friend, and now coring & slicing them to freeze. Small apples, but so nice for eating or baking.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hard to keep a church going with such a small congregation, sad though but seniors home would be great..

LIndakay, did you have to go all the way to San Antonio to bring the kids home?

Did order the flannel penguin kit, Sharon ordered one as well..

Girls were here sewing, poor pat, she put the entire binding on the quilt before she noticed she did it wrong, so she sat and pick out out stitches..

While they were there I did 2 sets of monogrammed hand towels and the top for the little table runner, thinking of making 2 more as I already have them cut

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty, those towels are very elegant!

CUTE table runners!

No, I met my daughter in law in Uvalde, about half way for both of us.
I love those projects. You always find the neatest items to work on.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Should make myself some right? Lol

Cold out there and Iím sniffling so am playing in craft room for a bit

Want to make a few pillows, embroidery machine designs seems easy enough,taking notes on first one..in between I moved on to the Christmas table runner that I bought pattern Saturday, need buttons for coat and eyes, Iíve a zillion buttons but not likely size I need

While looking for little snowflake buttons I found the cutest orange pillow joanne gave me as a gift last fall, forgot all about it, now where will I find room to put it? Iíve still got 2 totes unpacked for fall and Halloween decor 🤪

Pretty embroidery designs.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

so cute, Betty!
I got given 4 boxes of fabric, patterns, and sewing notions - LOTS of buttons lol I love buttons & button jars. Ever since my grandma's & mom's button jars! I could go through them for hours lol The other week our neighbour came by & asked if I knit - Bob & I both grinned. I knit everything, and he knits winter scarves. On Tues we've booked a table in the Farmer's Market & he'll sell scarves & I'll sell the Sticks card games I've made. They have a "Christmas in September" & another market in November, so we'll get a table for then, too. I'm going to get a Food Handler's certificate, and sell some preserves too - including my Salsa.
Oh, and I've been hired to work a couple of days per month at the bowling lanes. Bowling League starts tomorrow. The pay will be minimal enough that it won't affect my pension. Be nice to earn some $$ again, at work I enjoy.

Sounds like those gifts will keep you busy for awhile.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Holy wahhhh, you are going to be a busy lady, sounds as though you are feeling much better to be taking this on...great news!

Photos of your quilts in progress LIndakay,please Nd thank you lol.

Having Patís hubby don coming at nice, he does stained glass but doesnít have the glass scroll same I have so when he has intricate pieces to come he comes to use mine,while he is doing that Iíll make the piece I machine embroidered into a pillow..next one I will make will have darker threads and fabrics

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh, Susan..Good for you on the new part-time job. Nice to socialize as well, when you are at a job. That is the part of working that I miss. I can only knit scarfs.. never learned more than that. I actually came across one that I had started but never finished. This weather makes me want to pick it up again and see if I still enjoy it.
I have found some nice well in the past at the thrift stores. I went to a church resale shop today. Got 5 hardcover books for a dollar. 4 nice wine glasses at 50 cents for 2. Couldn't believe the resonable prices their. Also a fall wreath and a copper watering cn with a nice patina on it.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, I am feeling better, and trying to get into the swing of things. I have a worry though - I'm going to look up side-effects of warfarin. I seem to be searching for words when I'm talking about things, and seem really ..... well, drift off to sleep anytime, anywhere. I don't know if it's connected at all, but it does give me pause for thought.
I've cut up all the card values for the sticks game, now to stick them on - 56 sticks per set & I'm making 6 sets 🤣 That will keep me busy, for sure!
The yards of jean material in one of the boxes will go to a friend's mom - she makes jean rag quilts - beautiful ones, and usually uses old jean material - this is brand new, from Fabricland. I know she can use it!
The fabric will either "find a home" or I'll do lawn chair cushions with some - one yardage is a peacock blue shimmery type of material that would make a lovely evening gown! Don't know what I will do with it all, but will find something....
As for the wool - Bob can use 2 balls at a time, so it's like a #6 thickness of wood, which is what he prefers. Yes, we'll be very busy.
I've been working on a knitted hoodie and just finished the largest part, the back. 108 stitches, 25" long. Now to do the two sides, and arms and hood... they won't take as long. It's in RED (love red) and have been working on it for several months between other projects lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, on the chilly side but I imagine by noon it will be a perfect day..best I check what weekend weather will be like, lots of outdoor chores need done.

Lordy you are keeping busy Susan, nice to hear!

Carol, wow great buys, Iím eyeing your copper watering can, do I have the spot for it, big smile, know you have as well..

Been up forever , just sitting contemplating the weekend, some things Iíve come up with are a must, other nots lol so letís see what I end up doing...

Iíve enrolled in a machine embroidery class Sunday, with travelling time it will fill in an entire day, project is not that interested, hardly worth the drive but I guess some months are thrilling,others not. Suppose to be easy make shopping bags

What is in all your plans for today and weekend?

Both baby quilts are for girls. One zig zag, one pinwheels.
Both are lighter than photos.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful, looks as though you used vintage fabric.
They will be nice and toasty covered with love..

They are new fabrics. Zigzags are from hobby lobby, pinwheels are from our small quilt shop.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lovely they are..

Iím on to my 4th fall pillow on paint floor cloth..good way to use up scraps and old embroidery thread

My Left eye burst something, red where should be white lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Don't wait too long to see the Dr.. get it checked out please?

Tired and going to "just sew", maybe prep another quilt top. I did find a beautiful fabric that is hummingbirds with lilies. About 9 inch block, I'll try to blend them in with pieced blocks.
We have company for the weekend, at least I hope it's just weekend..... No children.. thank you! Don't get me wrong, I like kids but not for hours or days and days...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - sounds as though you were chuckling about "something" bursting out of your eye - red instead of white? That sounds worrisome - see your Dr or go to Emerg.

Linda K, those blocks are pretty, going to be a stunning finished project.

Our weather is certainly cooler now and the roses are loving it. When I dead head, I don't just "dead head", I prune! So when the new flush comes on the plants, the bushes don't continue to get bigger and bigger. I LOVE my Knock Out roses, they are such prolific bloomers!

Company is here, not sure how long. Ben doesn't bother to get those details "a couple of days". We didn't get the confirmation they were coming until they were about 2 hours away from here. Ben ended up feeding them leftovers before I got home.

Ben has severe sore throat and guess I need to take him to urgent care today. Probably strep. Oh joy.

Son's cornea surgery is this Tuesday and we switched plans, his father is going to take him. I am so far behind at work it didn't make sense for me to have another day off. Kev knows, if something changes, his dad bails on him, I will drop everything and take him. Ex has always been "dependable" but rather un-involved, even when we were married and had little kids. Just another reason he is "Ex" (grin)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow..you ladies are all so busy. I hope some of your enthusiasm rubs off on me. I never had the talent or patience needed to quilt. My sister inherited the love of sewing from our Mom. I never did. I have made curtains, doll clothes, and pillows ..recovered some chair seats and that's about it..oh I did make a caftan once.
Pat, I don't know how you have the strength and stamina to do what you do what with all the problems that seem to come your way. You have my admiration.

Question..is Kidneyguy, Marilyn with the two white little doggies..or is it three?

Linda Kay..such pretty fabric..I can imagine the lighter colours.

Betty ..hope your eye gets better soon.

I am looking forward to going back out to the garden today and doing a few things. Busy last week with eye appointments and hearing test and Dr. appointments. There wasn't much time to putter in the garden. Hope the sun comes out today.
Well, I better get at the sewing machine manual and try to see if I can remember how to wind a bobbin and thread the needle. LOL

I've taking a Caregiver class on Wednesday afternoons, 6 weeks, this week is our last class. I debated on whether is was worth the time off work but Ö. I really respect person who DO SOMETHING about their problems rather just endure. Decided I could not afford to NOT take the class. The bottom line of the class is to take care of yourself or you are NO good for the person you care for. "Thrive, not just survive" is repeated over and over.... I do know the thought of having to go without the paid help we have is overwhelming. It gives me so much more time to be me, to sew, to garden. Without my inheritance from my Dad passing almost 2 years ago, it would also be a very different story.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.