SOLVED: ID this plant?

Coralville, IA

Hello - does anyone know this plant? We found it during a trip to Fiji and no one knew what it was. The nearest I can find through online research is Devilís Tongue. It has a similar purple, frilly leaf at its wide base but this specimen did not smell at all. And there is no center stalk as on Devilís Tongue, just the smooth cabbagey-looking structure. That center part was about 12Ē round. The new, green-leaf plants situated at the side and close by were 2.5-3 feet and there were speckles on their stalks.
Thank you!

Thumbnail by jenzbloomz Thumbnail by jenzbloomz Thumbnail by jenzbloomz Thumbnail by jenzbloomz Thumbnail by jenzbloomz
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

So cool! It is a Amorphophallus, corpse flower because of the way it smells when it first opens. Your might have been too old. The smell attracts flies which pollinate it if I remember correctly. Yours might be Amorphophallus paeoniifolius which I failed to grow 1 year though I successfully grew several other species. I love them!
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/281993/

Coralville, IA

Ah, perfect! Amorphophallus Paeoniifolius, thatís it! Thank you Kell - several of us were wondering how it might have begun and what it would become in its next phase, so now I can find those images online! 😊

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.