SOLVED: Can someone Please Help Me ID this Plant?

Craigsville, WV

I have these sprouting all over my yard. This one just provided me with a single peach colored flower that lasted about a day and fell off. This one is about 8-10 inches high and is the tallest one so far.

Thumbnail by Peanut169_98
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Can you add a photo of a bloom when you get a chance? The leaves remind me of some sort of Ruellia.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2019 4:17 AM

Craigsville, WV

I looked up the Ruellia as a reference, but the flower it produced was peach, not purple. I first thought it was the peach bellflower, but since it only produced one flower, I figured that wasn't it either. Since it started growing, it has taken a long time (about a month) even to produce the one flower, if that helps. I have about 6 or seven, maybe more, spread around my tiny town house patio. I don't know where they came from, but they seem very hearty and they survived hurricane Dorian completely intact.

Bretten, Germany

Quote from hcmcdole :
Can you add a photo of a bloom when you get a chance? The leaves remind me of some sort of Ruellia.

Maybe an other member of the Acanthaceae-family.
Was there a flower in the left corner? This looks like there are growing seeds.

Craigsville, WV

Quote from suse :
Quote from hcmcdole :

Maybe an other member of the Acanthaceae-family.
Was there a flower in the left corner? This looks like there are growing seeds.

Sorry, but no, that's not a flower...that's part of the A/C unit next to the plant. If I remember correctly, the flower bloomed at night or early morning. I didn't even get a chance to see it before it fully bloom before it dropped off, but I do remember that it was light peach or pink in color. It was a long-ish bud, like a lily, but very small, no longer than an inch or so. Looking at the remains of the flower, it definitely looks like some sort of bell shaped flower, and hollow like a honey suckle. With the loss of the single flower, it looks like it may be getting ready for 2 more, so I guess we shall see what it does. I will keep a closer watch on this little lovely so I can provide some pictures.

Craigsville, WV

Here is some more insight for those of you following this thread. I have a Brunello (Asiatic) Lily in my yard. Staring at it, it occurred to me that these little plants sprouting up all over the place resemble the exact structure of my Brunello. The long pointy leaves are stacked along the hearty stem. The leaf color is, of course, a deeper green, and have a different vein pattern, as shown in the picture. What made me think more along the lines of the lily was the resemblance I made earlier to how the bud looked. Could this plant be some sort of Lily or a hybrid of some kind? And how would they have found their way into my yard as none of my neighbors have gardens?

Not any lily that I know of. Post a photo of your lily in question.

Here is what Suse (and I) saw as a previous bloom (this is what reminded me of Ruellia). I circled it in red and cropped the picture.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Craigsville, WV

Quote from hcmcdole :

Here is what Suse (and I) saw as a previous bloom (this is what reminded me of Ruellia). I circled it in red and cropped the picture.

That is definitely part of the A/C unit. I have another photo of another of those plants. It seems to be some type of parasitic plant, but it doesn't seem to require a host in all cases. The new photo is of an uprooted eggplant that I pulled earlier this year. I was in the process of transplanting all of these little mystery plants and came across these growing from the "dead" eggplant. As for the original. A new bud is forming. Hopefully I will have a picture of the flower to show you soon.

Other new info for you. The roots are thin and growing just below the soil, and the original plant is growing in a rock bed (along with 2 others) near the A/C below my window ledge. The ones I transplanted were growing along the edge of the concrete patio near my tall wood fence. They seem to love shade and it doesn't seem to matter how wet the ground/soil is.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2019 3:19 PM

Thumbnail by Peanut169_98

This is not part of the AC. I cropped the bloom (ex-bloom) to bring attention to what we see.

Guess I hit the wrong button before getting the picture included.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Craigsville, WV

Quote from hcmcdole :
Guess I hit the wrong button before getting the picture included.

So, I went back and checked out your previous picture where you circled it. Yes, that's what was left after the flower fell off. I'm not a flower expert, but I guess that would be the stamen? Reminds me of pulling a Honeysuckle apart. I've since cut it off and it appears that a new one might be trying to grow in it's place, but it might be too soon to tell.

Craigsville, WV

Quote from hcmcdole :

So after seeing what you were actually referring to and checking into the plant you were talking about, it would seem you have successfully identified my plant!!! The leaves match exactly to the dwarf Ruellia I found a photo of online. It would seem that I have the lesser common 'Pink' Ruellia growing in my yard. I'm not sure what the other colors will be once they start flowering, but the one I posted is definitely not the standard purple or blue. Thank you so much for your help and for insisting that it "isn't my A/C"...LOL.

Since you've helped me figure out what it is, do you know if it commonly uses "dead" plants as hosts as it did in the most recent picture I uploaded?

Thanks again!

I don't think it is using any dead plants as a host. I am sure as dead plants break down, that the microbes enrich the soil for new plants' benefits. I would pull out dead plants as they can be a distraction (do as I say, not as I do as I am a lazy gardener).

Ruellia comes in many forms from very tall to short, hardy to tender, etc. I have a red form that seeds readily and a tall hardy purple one that spreads like a weed.

The last one is a different red one that didn't last more than one season.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.