OCTOBER Challenges,Projects & Organizing Ourselves (shhh thinking of what we can do for Christmas)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought Iíd move us over

We came from here:

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1515005/

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you for moving us over, Betty :)
Games afternoon (our 1st) was fun, but no one came, except for Dianne & we learned a new game together - 5Crowns. It's like Rummy, except you have a wild card based on the # of cards dealt. First deal is 3 cards, next is 4, and so on until you reach the Kings. There is no 2 or Ace.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.
Susan, sorry to hear no one turned out for game day. Maybe next time.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

at least Dianne & I learned a new game, and we're going to play it on Monday at coffeetime. With a file cabinet of games now, we'll be able to bring out some & convince others that we have some fun games :)
As for Game afternoon, it's early days yet, so I'm not worried.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I may or may not buy more this year. I need to look if they have a nice pink & silver combo.
Hopefully you will have better turn out next time Susan, but if not, YOU & Dianne had a nice visit and fun!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sorry to hear Susan, itís so disappointing when nobody participates..asmrecreation coordinator in our municipality I found that although I though this or that would be grand to do many just wanted to stay home and do their own thing but then complain there was nothing to do.
Had a wonderful day out to for first fall/Christmas craft show..was a good girl,talked myself,out of quite a few things but I did see a nice scarf pattern at the fabric shop and bought 2 skeins( $50) did realize how much good wool cost. It was a new,pattern the lady transferred into English, think she wrote instructions as she saw it but quite confusing. I did start it so we will see,letís hope itís not a waste of the wool..be nice to have something to sit in the evening and do

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Aoops was upside down

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Beautiful scarf.

That really is a stunning scarf! I can see why it called your name.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening..calling it a day, was up again around 5:30am and am done in..

I finished quilting one of the girls quilts, her first one done with old patterned fabric she had..had her put binding on so she has mega hand sewing to do as did Helene, got her lg tree skirt done..Lordy, wasnít easy as she had cut all to size, no extraís, difficult to put on frame, her batting had shrunk to size, was short about 2Ē so had to add that..pattern top fabric had stretched so had to work that in..once it was squared it was perfect, she got her binding on as well...you might think the corners of the Ďví donít fit well, but that is the way it is in the pattern design.

They no sooner left that I picked up knitting and got the scarf finished..bought white/grey and white wool for a second but Iím not so sure I like it..can be used as a head cowl

Bed well earned today!!

This message was edited Oct 7, 2019 5:53 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow ..that scarf is so unique..should be for the money it cost in wool though! LOL.
I'll bet you get all kinds of compliments when you wear it, Betty.

Susan,..such a disappointment for your game day. You have a great attitude about it though.

Well, I am wearing a Holter monitor..have to write everything I do down on paper. Even when I go to the bathroom. LOL, I also had an ECG..quite fascinating to watch the screen as the tech worked.
No shower allowed ..must wear it till noonish on Wed. and then get it back to Oshawa Clinic by 2 pm.

My garden helper comes tomorrow. His first job is raising about 10 interlocking bricks that have sunk by my front step..it dips and holds water which will not be good when it freezes. My job will be to cut all the grass.

Night all..

Good luck on your test results.
Betty, that scarf is beautiful. Those quilts are pretty too.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Linda Kay.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - good luck on the test results.
Yes, disappointing, but as I said - only the first day. We will see what happens later. After all, it's free lol
I have to make more posters to deliver around the towns so people know what's happening. We played, Dianne & I, the game we learned last Friday at Coffeetime on Monday. 2 other people played with us then, and the other two were watching & seeing how easy & fun it was to play. Hopefully one or more of them will join us this Friday :)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Gorgeous scarf, Betty!

makes me want to learn how to knit again!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I agree, Pat - it is very lovely.

I'm making a "turkey doll". It's a panel of cut outs to assemble. I was given it, and there are 3 panels. 1/3 of the way through making this, then to stuff it. I'll take a picture when it's done. It's tall - almost a foot tall, I think. it'll be good for a Thanksgiving decoration.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I look forward to seeing your turkey doll, Susan. Betty has a couple, I see from her photos.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes I do Carol, that is why Iím excited to see Susanís..there was a tutorial that I kept that had a wall hanging with turkey and all the feathers, think I have the fabric, hmmm do you think Iíve enough time to make it before thanksgiving?? Lol

Got sharonís Big throw on the frame yesterday, am hoping to get that done before end of weekend, once I start I get more motivated..I also have six placemats to make for Darlene, each block machine embroidered like the table runner I gave her last year, that should be my priority as she is leaving for Florida end of month.

Hope Karen the possum I sent to you yesterday doesnít take forever to arrive ..our mail system isnít the best.

I hired Ben's caregiver privately to accompany him to funeral in Idaho Falls. I am behind at work, exhausted and NOT up to making the drive. Ben can't go along so this will have to work. They leave tomorrow and come back Sunday, it's a 9 hour drive each way.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Working on a gre variegated scarf, found wool in midland yesterday..for just starting out this spring they had quite a supply, not so much in Rogue wool but I did get the variegated blue aqua..think my Xmas list says I need 6

Making pies,best get at it

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My turkey doll is a panel of cut-out pieces. I'm not sure if it's the same as Betty's. Attaching the tail is my bug-bear. Says to attach it on the line - no line, and by the picture it should be further back and there's a "hump" at that spot and the tail won't extend Down to the bottom of the body..... aggravating to say the least.
I'll try it again tonight. I set it aside last night. The turkey tail is filled with batting, and stitched (machine quilted) between the "feathers".
I will try it again, and post it when finished

Yep, frustrating for sure. Hope it comes together easier for you after giving it a rest, allowing it to contemplate the error it's ways! LOL

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Finished - pretty big! Do you have a pic of yours, Betty? This one's about 16" long by 13" tall

This message was edited Oct 14, 2019 10:52 AM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

The one I remember of Betty's looked like a COOKED turkey, like you'd see on platter. Yours turned out great Susan.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful Susan, a piece to be cherished every thanksgiving.

Yes mine is a cooked turkey bit Iíve several turkeys bough all bought.

Pat, so glad you are having a you day.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I love all your turkeys. They are so cute.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice looking turkey Susan.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - your turkeys are good!
Thank you - others here like my turkey too. One friend asked me today how much I charge to make them lol Well, I have 2 more panels, and sure don't need 3 turkeys around the house! I'll have to ask her if she was serious - her husband apparently likes turkeys!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Better be a substantial amount Susan, so much time and energy went into making it....but if youíve time on your hands which you never seem to have a few dollars always come in handy.

I will think Iím rich this weekend, been buying the trio Xmas present kits and fixing to do them, wood, etc and have 8 over the weekend to do them so they will be paying me for the kits and voila extra $$$

Am looking for the old type farmers (mission type) table and bench set instead of the large oak set, can put those $$ towards it as Iím sure I will have to have it made..if I were younger Iíd be making it lol

New table, how exciting! can't wait to see pics once it's purchased and done.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh..what fun..a new table..will look wonderful in your country cozy home. Also more room for family dinners.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - what would you consider "a substantial amount"?
I, too, am looking forward to seeing pics of the table! I love the old farmer's tables. Growing up, we had one with a drawer at the end, for cutlery - lucky me, I got to sit there and pass around the cutlery to everyone lol I had one in our home, in Winnipeg, but the drawer was on the side, and it was the side you could get at because the other side was up against the wall.
Post pics, Betty!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Donít have it yet Susan, have to either find one size that would accommodate or find someone to make the set.

About ready to clean my mess, didnít wants to paint downstairs, couch more comfy, Iíd say I now have almost, not quite 1/2 done..could play a little longer but best I quit for today..

Also finished the blue neck scarf, just need to go downstairs and cut tassels to size.

Guess Susan one canít put $$$ fee on our time..itís what ever the buyer is willing to pay I guess..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Todayís work on a rainy day

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Having trouble with photo posting

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Those scarfs are beautiful.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I really love that scarf - looks like a celtic knot? I'll have to see if I can find the pattern. Is there a pattern name?

Costa Mesa, CA

That turkey looks great!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

thank you, mrabe1 :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.