Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

What is this tropical plant?

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Purchased at Lowe's early this summer, there was no identification of any kind on the container. In my Zone 6 garden, it is now beginning to fade. But it bloomed beautifully all summer and into the fall. Can anyone please identify it?

Thumbnail by 1alh1 Thumbnail by 1alh1
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Curcuma alismatifolia (ginger, Siam tulip)

Waihi, New Zealand(Zone 1)

Possibly Curcuma alismatifolia 'Chiangmai Dark Pink'
https://www.zone9tropicals.com/curcuma-alismatifolia-chiangmai-dark-pink

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for the identification. If I overwinter it indoors, will it bloom again next year when I take it back outside? Or is it a one-and-done?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

If it goes dormant it should come back. Where I lived in florida there was what we thought was tumeric someone dumped over a fence, it came back every year. Though I would be curious if it stays leafed inside.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It will go dormant in winter. Just quit watering it for winter and then start in spring. I don't have this variety but the one I do have comes back every year and blooms nicely. Same pot I bought it in and no soil change - 3 years now.

Second photo is May 16. First photo is Aug 19. Third is Aug 3.

I also have Globba and it does the same thing and is in the last two photos. June 9 just coming up. August 25th in full bloom.

I bought the Curcuma from HD in 2016 and the Globba from HD in 2014. I was concerned when they started going downhill, thinking they were perennials but it appears they just go dormant. Don't water in winter (I used to trickle water it in winter but this year I didn't except the Curcuma since I had a pineapple plant in the same pot but only very lightly every few weeks).

Edited since the pictures did not post in the order I wanted them to GRRR!

This message was edited Oct 12, 2019 6:52 AM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.