13th Annual Christmas Craft Workshop..welcome

Victoria Harbour, ON

Here we are, yet another year..how quickly theyíve gone by!

Iíve been asked to go through 2 projects, both are extremely easy..

1. Christmas snowman hat

2. Trio of presents

I will make a point to do a hat this evening, going out for lunch this afternoon and a trip to the dump to get rid of chair put in my vehicle..

So stay tuned..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Snowman Hat

1 large can..the kind they would use commercially I.e. spaghetti sauce at pizzeria, mine is 6Ē wide and 7Ē high

I spray painted mine with a mat black metal spray paint but likely if you sand the outer can to take shine off you might be able to paint it and give it a coat of clear flat or Matt finish but by the time you do that you might as well have bought the spray can, especially if you want to make a few for Christmas gifts (not necessary to do the inside as itís glued to bottom and canít be seen..

$$$ Stores sell these charger plates, you normally see them red, silver or gold but bottoms are black and perfect.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Looking forward to this,, I love snowmen as winter decorations. Find a can...go to Dollar store...not enough hours in my day!

Victoria Harbour, ON

But this one is a quick one, just as easy to do several as it is one

Opening another tote, Iíve come to the conclusion Iíve no room for more Xmas and should be giving some away..

Even having trouble finding places to set my quilts..boo hoo is me. Lol

This message was edited Nov 7, 2019 6:51 AM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This is SO cute, Betty & I happen to have some black spray paint. Don't have a can that big, but do have more chargers than I need.

Too many quilts? Never heard of such a thing! However, if you're looking to get rid of some........... you DO know my mailing address, right? 😂🤣🤞

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, full of energy so thought we would start a snowman top hat..

I picked the one with the bow but we can go over the other once this one is complete..

thinking where else you can get large cans, maybe a bakery, can of coffee large tin..think large can of tomato juice would be a tad small ..

I noticed there was a dent in my can at the bottom, doesnít matter, any defects wonít be seen due to greenery and ribbon

I took out my glue gun and added glue all around the rim, set the can in the middle area of the charger plate then went around the bottom of the canto secure a little bit more.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

I cut ribbon just a tad longer than I needed to

I glued one side of the ribbon, made a fold on the edging of the ribbon and glued to overlap on piece just glued.

Now I am using the yucky side for the front as again once itís decorated you will not see the fold or glue

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now to add greenery, Iíll do best I can with what I have this morning, forgot I brought box of greenery to the office for the girls, nothing here but I can add more later.

Takes quite a few sticks of glue ..I wish I had another pick or bits and pieces but no go! Big sigh

Snipped off a good 4Ē of the pick stem then with what was left I bent a bit to go around the can and glued..then added more greenery to other side..at this point Iíd be added odds and ends of greenery.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now I will say 4Ē wide ribbon with wire edging is a bit too thick for this project but now I started I continued with it..cut 56 inches and made the bow,, again because of thickness I ended up with bow but no tails..

Glued bow on then cut 2 tails and worked them in, this is done to your taste..I cut the edges on an angle for a better look

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now I took the snowflakes and added a few large and small around the top hat

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now I took the snowflakes and added a few large and small around the top hat

Victoria Harbour, ON

Photo didnít attach

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now I had a container of snow or if you had a container of sparkle from Home Depot I added just a touch of snow around the top, edges of plate and I could see a tad of glue on back to added snow to it.

Took an old toothbrush and a little white paint,JUST a tad of water,worked brush into it then ran my finger across it causing it to look like a little bit of snow falling..adds to the piece.

I need a few pieces of greenery to add to it,mwillhave to pick some up and finish

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now Iíve decided that I like the one without bow..had bought a lovely sprig of greenery, not a pick but a spring, cost more but loved the look.

Ran ribbon around the can, tied a knots the center leaving tails through greenery.

I added more bulbs and decorations..

Basically done the same

this one I hid battery pack at the back , set it into the ribbon, then worked the miniature lights through the greenery.

They are both beautiful. Going to look for a large can.

Pacifica, CA

cant wait to get started

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I likely will be just watching until I can get some of my "must get done" projects out of the way. Really is a cute, inexpensive project.

Victoria Harbour, ON

MornIng all..have a zillion things on my list, still not out of my nighty, the one I use for painting so thought why not get those trio present boards out, just put ribbon on the set nearly done and now I will start out fresh for the tutorial...

Got your boards ready?

Step 1:

If you have no stain then perhaps you can add a tad of water to $$$ store brown..paint or stain both sides and edges..I like stain because if I decide to set outside itís a wood protector of sorts

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Step 2:

Stained

I like doing this in the evening that way Iím not tempted to move on to next step because boards have had time to dry

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

step 3Ē

I bought 2 cream acrylic paint at $$$ store..takes quite a bit
You carefully paint sides and top while trying to not paint the back ..

Let dry

One coat doesnít do

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Step 4:

2nd coat may seem a little streaky but once we sand edges and top it will look fine

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oops needs photo

I will let them dry for a few hours then Iíll do step 5 and distress the wood

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Didnít get back to sanding but will do so in the morning..

Big sigh, been wanting to lay down for 2 hrs. But couldnít find Ziggy, usually when I rustled treat bag he is right there...thought he might have gone out when Melanie left so kept calling, then wondered if he got locked in woodcutting room when I went in..nope. Wondered if he got in my car when I went out for my compressor, nope..not a wonder as he doesnít go near cars..

Kept getting up, call inside,call outside grrrr
Went to get something in back bedroom and what do I find..guess he was to lazy to come to my calls

So now itís bedtime

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL That's a cat for you. Independent cusses.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That little dickens, Ziggy..... well, glad you found him!

It's cold here (-9c / 16F) so I have my sweater on, and a lovely DG-made lap blanket on my lap and wrapped down to my slippered feet. so comfy 😍

Pacifica, CA

morning all,
at Costco Kirkland coffee, perfect size can going to start one today.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Liz, I put the remaining scarf instructions on the other thread for you...

K, back to presents

Where were we?? Ahhh

Sanding

Sand edges and top, how much you sand depends on your preference

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Once sanded get a ruler and mark off on right hand side of piece (lengthwise) 3Ē from side in pencil

Now that your pencil mark is on right you mark to ribbon placement the following

Small board and mark 2 3/4 ď from the top
Medium board 4 1/2Ē from top
Large board 6Ē from top

Now starting going across width with ribbon you cut ribbon just a few inches longer than you need so you can staple ribbon....this ribbon going across is under the line you marked you could also use glue gun but far better if you have a stapler, electric stapler or stapler used with compressor

This message was edited Nov 10, 2019 11:37 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now length wise, left of marking

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

For the next part..the picks,I used wire cutters to cut down the stem, almost half, I donít have strength in my hands so pressed wire cutters and worked the stem back and forth till it came,off..do this to the 3 picks

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sure hope you have a stapler of sorts as the pick is too thick to glue gun

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Think I cut ribbon for bows, you need floral,wire,or,thin,wire for,each bow

Small. 60Ē
Medium 64Ē
Large 68Ē

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

I donít fluff up the bow until after I attach close to pick

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

I cut the two ribbon pieces that Iíll glue gun to wood on an angle

I donít like them flat,so I add a dap of glue and push ribbon into glue to get a nicer effect than flat

Voila, your,piece is done

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Hope you can understand my mumbling..if not,just ask

Have the tree ornament bulbs out, just brushed on light pink for,cheeks

Donít like these bulbs

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Why? what's wrong with these bulbs?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Have a sheen on them, & breakable so not best what I want for my project..

Had lunch, tummy started to churn, off I go for hot bath

I got a hat done. I really love how easy these are.
Don't mind the clutter.

Thumbnail by taters55
Victoria Harbour, ON

Very nice LIndakay, did you put lights on yours?
I turned one of my cans with open side on top and today I put greenery, did unite a few arrangements..Iíll buy a few bouquets of Christmas flowers the week of Christmas and add..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images