Does my plant have a disease?

City, Canada

Would anyone be able to identify what's happening here? (see photo)

The lower leaves of the plant seem to be drying out starting at the tips and moving down the sides and eventually falling off. I started giving it more water which seemed to slow the progression slightly but I noticed that it's continuing to occur on the leaves further up the plant.

Any help in identifying the problem and recommendations as to what can be done to stop it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 13, 2020 12:54 PM

Thumbnail by air_raiders
(Zone 9b)

What kind of plant is that? I would say low humidity but it could be a lot of things. Is it in the house near a heating duct?

i did find this info on a similar looking leaf. I noticed this happens to a lot of mango leaves.
"Tipburn (physiological): The leaves are necrotic around the edges (See Photo). A moisture deficiency or salt accumulation can cause the damage. Extreme fluctuations in soil moisture should be avoided. Plants may need a heavy watering to flush salts out of the root zone. This may require an improvement in soil drainage."

https://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/food-crops/fruit-crops/mango/

City, Canada

Quote from Kell :
What kind of plant is that? I would say low humidity but it could be a lot of things. Is it in the house near a heating duct?

i did find this info on a similar looking leaf. I noticed this happens to a lot of mango leaves.
"Tipburn (physiological): The leaves are necrotic around the edges (See Photo). A moisture deficiency or salt accumulation can cause the damage. Extreme fluctuations in soil moisture should be avoided. Plants may need a heavy watering to flush salts out of the root zone. This may require an improvement in soil drainage."

https://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/food-crops/fruit-crops/mango/

Thanks for the information.
It's a Lucuma seedling (approx. 7 months old).

It's not in the immediate vicinity of a heating duct but that's interesting - I didn't consider the humidity. From what I've read about this plant, they can tolerate some slightly saline soils. Perhaps I'm watering it too much?

Thanks,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.