First post/urgent qq: pt sh/8b and a chain link fence: any chance of theseplease see attachment (maybe campsis radicans? or other quick option that is

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Just signed up for Dave's Garden--glad I finally joined. I'm kind of playing Princess and the Pea here, but I hope you can bear with me and can help this noob!

I've done a lot of research on this, but was hoping for some practical advice from the climber fans here with real-world experience. I have access to wholesale pricing on some varieties of plants, and need to make a decision asap, but I have some definite, quite limiting constraints.

I am in Portland, Oregon (8a), and I rent; while I'm a long term tenant--and intend to stay awhile--you never know what's going to happen, so I'd like to get something up to cover my slatted chain link fence as soon as possible--coverage, if not flowers, this summer, ideally (and perennial).

I have shade--I would say seasonal bright shade w/ pockets that get 6-8 hours in the summer, but in the winter, it's easily full to part shade. So for the growing season, I have a fair amount of light. But in the winter, de minimis.

Also clay soil that, while amended and getting better, is still subject to seasonal drainage issues.

So from the attached list of vines, wondering if there are any that are possibly viable--other than Virginia Creeper et al.?

In sum, looking for the best option that is:

1) On this list;

2) Would get coverage as quickly as possible;

3) Be maximally long-flowering/attractive--love the look of the Clematis 2 group, but they seem to be very slow growing for a vine, which as a renter doesn't work :(;

3) Tolerate some seasonal rain and damp, clay soil; and

4) If not a "specimen," in itself--that is, an "ivy," lay flatter rather than be bulky--I am thinking that Engelmann is better than Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy in that regard--or is that wrong? I couldn't find any "head to head" comparisons of the three that were really spot on in terms of density.

Thank you all very much in advance for any help you can offer.

Thumbnail by anoukaimee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.