APRIL Challenges/Projects/Organizing Ourselves..sharing ideas..all welcome!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over from here:

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1529765/

Who in our lifetime thought weíd ever see the world come to a standstill? Big sigh

Have been under the weather for a few weeks, some days good some not so good..after spending weekend in bed today, in my Jammieís am taking things easy and making some childrenís mask
They are cute, made 2 bear and one kitty, first of them take the longest as I make step by step notes

Thinking of calling it a day, perhaps tonight might try the doggie

I have a design for adult plain mask, that will be for tomorrow

Hope you are as well as your family healthy/well

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are so cute.
Thanks for the new thread.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Just finished watching Sister Act with Bob, and now we're watching Sister Act 2, while I'm handstitching the 2nd of three covers for some cushions. By tomorrow night I should have the 3rd one done.
Bob's saying that he wants to go out on Wednesday to get some milk. We'll see.......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Donít need mush here Susan, 2 secs in and out, Iíll go thursday at 7,Easter weekend,not sure will mean anything or no5 on stores that are still open but might. I wouldnít go to Walmart or anything, thInk Walmart s only curbside

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I got a request to make some masks - where do we find the pattern? She said 500 count cotton?!?!

Sounds like you are making progress on those cushions Susan.
Betty our Walmart is open, and like other grocery stores, only 75 allowed inside at a time. You have to wait in line outside until som6comes out. When you go in, they hand you Clorox wipes, so you can keep your hands protected. Most cities in texas, just got orders, if you have to go out, you must wear a mask and rubber gloves.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I do one 23x23" cushion a night. Matching stripes is ever so much easier by hand.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Photo please

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I did 2 of the small colourful striped ones (back) and 2 of the larger colourful striped ones (seat) for 2 lawn chairs, and have done 2 of the cream coloured striped ones with a 3rd to be done. The 2 1/2 ft square one I didn't really count - all I did was open one side & take out the pillow inside, re-foam around it and put it back into the case & re-stitch it. It's much firmer & Bob's happy. The inside pillow was getting floppy & needed the update.
The colourful ones will go on the heavy wooden lawn chairs - the colour will perk up the dark wood.
I think the three cream ones will go on our backyard bench. I'll have to see, when the weather gets nicer.
It snowed again today. Mother Nature must be drunk.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2020 8:24 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Beautiful cushions

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

the masks are adorable. Good job with the cushions Susan

Victoria Harbour, ON

Found an ITH plain adult mask, actually fit better but Iím not sure itís any quicker though.

Will try another and time..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Great job Susan on the cushions, youíll be pleased to set them out..

Pat, you ok?

Know LIndakay you are out smelling the roses..

This message was edited Apr 8, 2020 12:15 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I got an error last time I tried to post. Something about "page could not be found" Hope it goes through this time. This is one of the masks I'm making. Using ties, instead of elastic.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Looking good Susan

Had a hard week health wise so havenít posted much, know your frustration, can never find our other thread..

Hope everyone doing ok, hard being on lockdown

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - I don't mean that I lost a thread, I meant that Dave's site crashed & wouldn't let me in.
I'm doing fine, thanks - wish you were doing the same.
Yesterday was our first day out, and wouldn't you know it - I lost my phone. It was 1/2 hour or so into being out.I phoned it and no one answered. Today, about 6pm, our neighbour came by with it. He'd found it in a snowbank as he was out walking the dog. He asked the Property Manager, and she said "oh, that's Susan's" so he came over with it. So pleased!

Glad you found your phone Susan.

I have the same problem. Tried several times to get into DG. Page just kept spinning and wouldn't load.

Kailua, HI

We use a spray bottle of water to test fabrics to see if they will make a good mask. The masks are supposed to keep water droplets in or out, so a forceful spray bottle works pretty well. Layer however many layers of whatever fabric you plan to use together and spray the fabric. If you see spray come out the other side, then you'll know to choose other fabric or add more layers.

The next test is to try breathing through it. It's no good if it can't be breathed through.

I've been using tightly woven cotton backed by flannel which stops the water but it a bit on the hard side to breathe through so I may try adding a layer of light quilt batting in the middle to see if slightly separating the layers makes it easier to breathe through.

There's more pictures and details at
http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/blog/2020/0407.html
It's not a fast construction method, but easier to put on and take off than with ribbons. It has a wire over the nose area to shape it to your face and remove the usual gap in that area. I'm suspecting we will be using masks for quite some time so making some to match some of your favorite outfits might be good.

Of course, the demand at the moment is just for sheer quantity, so this may be a mask to make later when you want a different type of mask.

Thumbnail by hotzcatz Thumbnail by hotzcatz Thumbnail by hotzcatz Thumbnail by hotzcatz Thumbnail by hotzcatz

That is called an Olson mask. I have never seen one with just one strap. I will have to look into that.

Kailua, HI

Ah, good to know it has a name! A friend gave me a pattern for the side pieces, the strap was one I added. There's elastic inside the strap, hopefully to make it more comfortable as well as to cover the bare elastic.

The metal wire (maybe the next one will have more padding around the wire just in search of more comfort) fits it to the nose and then it works with just one strap. There's no gaps on any of the sides.

Next one will have less of a curve on the front of the mask part since otherwise it flaps in and out as you breathe. Not sure how to get one perfectly fitted to individual faces. Maybe a side selfie with a dimension between the tip of the nose and the chin might produce a custom fit.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Masks - you're actually not supposed to put holes in it, with pins.
Also, make the inside part 1/8" larger seam, so it won't buckle - Front & lining have to be slightly different sizes.
Non-woven interfacing is thin, easy to breathe through, and quilting cotton blocks a lot of stuff in & out because it's tightly woven. So, 2 layers of cotton, plus one layer of interfacing is still light enough to be comfortable and sturdy enough to block a lot of stuff. The ones I made also had aluminum to bend around the nose. Simply cut a 1" x 3" piece out of an aluminum pie plate and, keeping the 3" length, fold it in thirds. Sewing machines don't like going through metal, so cover the nose piece with interfacing or tape & your regular sewing machine won't get grumpy sewing through metal. 😎
All that being said, I really like the idea of the fabric "tie". It looks comfortable & easy to put on & take off! Congrats on coming up with this brilliant idea 👍

I use pipe cleaners for the nose, some call them chenille stems. I zig zag stitches over them, so they don't move. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to curl the ends, so they don't poke your nose.

I've just been busy churning out masks for my office. I got all the employees covered and now working a few I was hired to make for some non-sewers. Of course I did a lot of freebies for friends & coworker's family.

My house is a wreck, before and after work all I have done is sew. I have 3 more sew and then everything I have committed to is caught up.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I did the 4 masks & sold them, now I'm working on my 40 yo queen-size quilt. Almost done. Now that I'm not afraid to make mistakes, I'm having fun with it :)

Thanks for making the masks for co workers and friends Susan and Pat.
I think I am done with masks. 250 and I think that is it. My back is killing me.

Amen Linda!!

After making & donating 60+ masks, I moved on to selling some. My DSisIL works at local hospital. She just got me a few orders. Coworkers are buying more... friend that works for a Care agency just bought another 10. Good thing I found a faster assembly method!

Are you making them with elastic or ties?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Iíve done over 70, last 10 Iíve been using my embroidery machine..I use floral wire and glue gun tad of hot glue to ends to stop puncturing..I find these new ones fit snug, much better fit.

Wow you guys, you have been on a mission..

Itís been so cold that Iíve stayed upstairs today knitting, doing snowmobile neck warmers, just need hyde, that will have to wait til we are out and about..did some baking, now cool to the touch so best I freeze them in sections or Iíll eat it.

Have been going to bed early, more for something to do than being tired.

usually elastic. I actually found & bought 4 pkgs of 8 yards each and nearly fainted from shock when I saw them!

Oh my. You were lucky.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

In the boxes of sewing stuff I got given last summer i have tons of elastic - 2" wide I think. all new. I'll have to do some more - especially for Bob & I. We went to the drug store & got 2 of the blue/white ones with elastic that you see given away, and they were $2 each. The elastic broke away within the first 10 min, from the side of the mask. Yes, I could sew it back on........

All the patterns call for 1/4 inch elastic. 2 inches will be quite bulky behind your ears.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I use 1/8Ē, glad what on the on start of this virus I bough all Walmart had..was for a good cause so didnít feel guilty.

Iím working on 2 projects..darleneís Placemats and the penguin quilt..have all the squares pinned, too tired this afternoon but calling for rain tomorrow so Iíll start sewing once I get the 4 masks Greg asked me for.

Off for turkey dinner..cooked enough yesterday to last me the weekend!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Not crazy about turkey dinner...well except for the noodles, but I do enjoy a turkey sandwich and the deli meat just isn't the same.

Victoria Harbour, ON

My favourite, have to have turnip with it for sure..
Made a couple as masks this morning, need 2 more..I made the button bands for the back, straps hook over the buttons..hope they work, if so Iíll make a bunch..starting to sew penguin blocks..
raining here..hmmm maybe Iíll change my mind and make pie crusts so I can freeze some crusts.

Sooo bored and yet Iím keeping busy, know what I mean?

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

See you on the bored business, Betty. Having the punies for a few days and staying upstairs for the most part in case it's catchy. Don't think so but worrisome these days.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That it is, Iím still sniffling, runny nose, just canít seem to shake it. Sure hope it lasts for but a day or two. Can you go out and work or walk the gardens?

Sun just came out so Iím thinking once pies are out of the oven Iím going to go out and finish the limbs on front lawn just for something to do.

Melanie has 1 more week before she goes back to work, she believes it was only the flu but like you say, you never know.greg brought their trailer home and is living in it until quarantine is over..called him awhile ago to ask what heíd like, banana, coconut cream or chocolate, he said all 3 lol nope just one so he picked chocolate..I made 2 smaller pie crusts, hoping enough filling for both even if skimpy so he can give one to Mel and one for him.

Once pies are cooked and done with I will go downstairs and do a few more blocks ..16-2Ē blocks sewn doesnít make for a big block.

I remember at Thanksgiving and other gatherings, when I would tell my Dad the choices of desserts, he always said "YES!" meaning some of everything! Greg answer made me smile and remember. Ben would have answered Coconut. .

BORED, LONELY, I can relate to it all. Still sewing masks like crazy but not very fulfilling. I'm still working fulltime.

Every sniffle or sneeze is a worry. "Do I have it?" I can relate to that too

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hugs Pat, with just losing Ben, working and covid i don't know how you are coping.
You and lindakay are troopers with your making masks.

Greg picked up pies, he asked me what the other one was, i said cherry, his reply was cherry is my ultimate favourite. Told him he could come in and take a piece but he said nope, just incase he was carrying the virus..darn old virus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.