SOLVED: What is this?

Langhorne, PA

This plant is in a section of my garden among the Lilly of the Valleys. Have no idea if it is a weed and should be removed or a wild flower of some kind. It is hairy. Can someone ID it for me?

Thumbnail by ClaireAlthea
(Zone 9b)

It reminds me of thistle foliage.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Sure looks like thistle to me too. I've dug at least half a dozen of a plant that looks just like that out of my veggie garden and spotted four more yesterday.

(Zone 9b)

BTW, I love thistles!! I just found out yesterday that you can actually eat parts of some thistles if you do not mind prickers in your mouth. LOL No, you really can! And they are good for you. Some of their flowers are just beautiful too. Though you may not want 1 in the midst of your Lily of the Valleys. Personally, I would let it flower (though not go to seed) just to see which one nature sent to you. Then dig it and toss it.

Langhorne, PA

Thank you everyone. I will go ahead and let it grow for now and watch to see if it flowers

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

When it flowers, it will have a tall thick spiny/thorny stalk to grab to pull it out, too.

(Zone 9b)

LOL ViburnumValley. Do not discourage ClaireAlthea from allowing that robust plant to live its life till flowering and getting truly appreciated before its brutal demise.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I could send pictures of several hundred EVERY YEAR that dodge the reaper and robustly live full lives - over my head (even though I'm only 6'4").

They are slightly attractive and amusing to some insects, but when "Oopsy!" they go to seed, well, then it's too late and you are condemned to weeding out a thousand more next time around.

They do come out easy with the big stem handle, and right after wet weather. If you try to go dry, they don't die.

(Zone 9b)

YES!! Post pictures! I have never seen ones 3 feet tall much less over 6'4" tall.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

We actually let some flower AND go to seed as the goldfinches love them. I just don't want them in my veggie garden so have to be vigilant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.