Teach me to save this Cactus

KL, Malaysia

Hello, Im both new to the forum and well, plants.
First off, I got this cactus and I wanna know if it's doing ok. And if it isnt, how serious is its condition. From what Ive been reading I think it's a mammillaria (not sure if it's zeilmanniana or spinosissima though), and of course it's obvious I have some cutting to do in order to let it grow healthily but I just wanna make sure if cutting is the only thing I would need to do. Im not sure if a picture is enough to determine its condition but any insights would be greatly appreciated.

As for the cutting bit, Ive been reading through a few sites on cactus care and they mentioned how Im supposed to cut at a 45 degree angle but Im still very nervous that I might harm prickly by accident. Also I read that I should try to get some roots when removing the offshoot but I think the pups are attached to the main body rather than at the base @@
I was hoping the picture attached would grant me with even more specific directions perhaps?

Thank you for your time!

Thumbnail by NoobNewbie
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Looks like one I have. It wants to flop more than stand upright, think of it as like rat tail cactus, the longer it gets less likely it will be upright. Why cut it? As far as I know they're clumping cacti. I would leave as is.Mine have flowered but yet to pup out which I wish they would. Single cacti like that just doesn't look natural.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2020 5:32 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

This ones currently blooming and only upright for now because I'm sure its root bound.

Thumbnail by HorseFeathers70
KL, Malaysia

Quote from HorseFeathers70 :
Looks like one I have. It wants to flop more than stand upright, think of it as like rat tail cactus, the longer it gets less likely it will be upright. Why cut it? As far as I know they're clumping cacti. I would leave as is.Mine have flowered but yet to pup out which I wish they would. Single cacti like that just doesn't look natural.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2020 5:32 AM

You mean it's fine if I just leave it as it is? Arent you suppose to cut and grow new cactus so they could all like get the right amount of nutrients and grow well?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.