How to keep squirrels away from bird food?

Duluth, GA

This is a serious issue. I have tried adding chili powder to the bird food (which doesn't seem to bother the birds), but the squirrels seem to gobble up everything. Now they have also started eating mealworms meant for robins. My birds mostly prefer feeding on the ground. What should I do to keep the squirrels away from bird food and the mealworms?

Lafayette, LA(Zone 9b)

When the squirrels in my yard finally started digging up my planted bulbs, I had had enough!
I placed bird feed and mealy worms (for bluebirds) on a shepherd hooks with squirrel baffles!
We wanted to watch the birds and seemed like feeding those buggars brought all their buddies too and it got expensive! Ha
Good Luck

Lafayette, LA(Zone 9b)

When the squirrels in my yard finally started digging up my planted bulbs, I had had enough!
I placed bird feed and mealy worms (for bluebirds) on shepherd hooks with squirrel baffles! The doves that usually ate on the ground found their way to the feeders.
We wanted to watch the birds and seemed with sharing the seed brought all their squirrel buddies too and it got expensive! Ha
Good Luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.