SOLVED: Weird plant emerging in several places

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I came across this today in a client's yard. There were a bunch of them. I have seen trees produce these before but I'm not sure what the tree is. Any ideas?

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Wasn't a tree made those. Weed, throws seeds before it is even an inch high if it is what I have. I personally call them mother of billions mess. You will seeds on the stems under the leaves?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Donna can help us by taking some more diagnostic images, and excising one (or more) of these.

I think that is a suckering stem arising from the root system of a Black Locust - Robinia pseudoacacia. This species is famous for this survival technique.

I suspect that there either has been a recent removal of a tree somewhere nearby, and this is the way the plant tries to continue living, or that a tree exists and that there has been disturbance to its roots - such as tilling, trenching, digging holes, etc.

Show us more.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

VV, I think you nailed it! I googled black locust suckering, and one of the images was almost identical.

I am gardening for about a dozen clients and I come across some interesting stuff.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ugh, VV I hate black locust! We fight it here in the far ne corner of the state and it spreads up into OKla, I do have a weed looks like that except for that top wisp, I see where I didn't look close enough.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, we know that there are plants that look like other plants. That's why I suggested pulling one up - or trying to.

Annual weeds will come out, with a root system. Black Locust sprouts will either break off the woody root, or you will get a length of the woody root with it. Quite different results. Also, the Black Locust sprouts will be woody and leaf out again next year, where annual weeds die down, and sprout new ones from seeds.

Then again, they make 'em bigger there in Texas...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you all!

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.