SOLVED: Which viburnum?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

VV, this may be for you. I have two clients with the same viburnum, which looks familiar but I can't place it. Can you?

This message was edited Jul 31, 2020 9:02 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

"This Vib's for you."

Sounds like a slogan; bet we could sell a few beers.

OK. You have three pictures. You haven't said if each photo is of a different plant or not. Photos 1 & 2 appear to be the same plant. No matter; I'm on the case.

Photo #1: Viburnum lantana

Photo #2: Viburnum lantana

Photo #3: Viburnum plicatum f. plicatum

You can provide additional information on each plant (1, 2, and/or 3) by showing images of leaf undersides, stems, and other characteristics.

Viburnum lantana typically has tomentose characteristics , especially undersides of leaves and on young stems, which can cause itchiness/rash on some gardeners.

I suspect you know both these plant otherwise. You can compare with individual plants you know, and see where the similarities are.

If you had seen them in flower, you would know that these are quite different plants.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, VV, you are quite wonderful. Out here, you see everyone has either:

Viburnum carlesi (usually they are charge extra for a compactum but get the full sized plant. This happened to me in my old community and one killed the other).

Viburnum trilobum

Viburnum dentatum, particularly 'Chicago Lustre'.

Once in a while you see a doublefile. I helped a client buy a 7-gallon Mariesi from Gary and Sue Ladman. Gary wondered whether little Donna could plant a shrub that big, but I did it (thumping my chest).

Gary led me to some really cool stuff. I was looking for a trilobum and an opulus, both compact The opulus has become hard to find, so he suggested a Sargentii 'Chiquita'. Man, what a plant! A lot of compact plants have a crummy fruit set but this guy didn't get the memo. I think it's my favorite viburnum. Interestingly enough the viburnum beetle ignored it the first year but went after the dentatum right next to it. This year it was only mildly sampled.

The first year I lost all the blooms on my two trilobums because I had to knock off so much foliage. This year - untouched!

Last year my prunifolium 'Autumn Rouge' didn't bloom because of the cutting of foliage. This year, pow! I know it seems like an odd choice but I had one at my previous home, having chosen it from a group offered by my community. The morons left the mesh bag on it so it suckered a lot but wow the berries were gorgeous. So I asked Gary for the species and he suggested the cultivar. Wow!

I got an orientale from Raulston Arboretum. It is very like an opulus, and being perverse got an acerifolium because Dirr dissed it. You have to acidify it and keep it in shade and moist but I love it!

My most remarkable plant is a carlesi called 'Sweet Susan'. Originally it was called 'Susan Renee'. It's not in commerce - even I couldn't get a second one. It's a stunning somewhat compact plant with outrageous flower set and, perhaps, a stronger scent (people would yell from across the street - what is that scent!!!!!!)

I started working in a new garden and saw a horribly viburnum beetle damaged sample of a dentatum. It was obvious. It was chewed to bits. The client had 5 originally, and the morons who took care of her pruning obviously didn't know what it was or what to do. They just pulled them out, one after another, as they deteriorated. The poor woman didn't know what the problem was. The beetle turned up in my neck of the woods two years ago. I was waiting for it, and I had my spinosad ready. You just have to go out every day and look. As soon as you see any chewing, you look closely and see the tiny larvae. Then you spray, cut and dispose of them. It's really easy, but you have to look.

You know VV, I love my roses, peonies and lilacs but there is nothing like having a few different viburnums. The only other thing that floats my boat like that are oakleaf hydrangeas.

Thank you for your help. Always knowledgeable and willing to share.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm glad you connected with Gary & Susan. They are salt of the earth quality people, generous to a fault, and a font of knowledge and experience with Viburnum.

I'm sorry VLB is a scourge in your world. I hope it stays up there in the northern tier of states.

It sounds like you have a great handful of Viburnum sp. to enjoy. Please keep introducing them to your neighbors, clients, and public landscapes up there.

I too really have enjoyed Viburnum sargentii 'Chiquita'. V. prunifolium is native here, but I've added 8-10 named varieties as I've come across them. No limited fruit set due to lack of cross pollination here. 25+ selections of V. dentatum means tremendous availability of midsummer fruit for as many birds that want to forage - and optimum volunteer establishment of seedlings to displace unwanted Honeysuckle and Multiflora Rose pests.

If you ever find opportunity for small trees, V. rufidulum and clones, as well as V. sieboldii and clones, would make welcome additions to Chicagoland landscapes.

***Viburnum sargentii 'Chiquita' - planted as 1G in 2007, pictured 2010

***Viburnum prunifolium 'Dark Tower' - planted at 1.5" caliper in 2014

***Viburnum dentatum - 65 plants today, including all Chicagoland and Klehm selections planted in 2005

***V. rufidulum 'Royal Guard' - planted as 3G in 2000

***V. sieboldii 'Wavecrest' - very reliable performer here and in northern IL

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

LOVE your photos.

People here keep planting things like weigela, boxwood, and (sorry) my most hated plant - hydrangea paniculata. I swear there at least 30 of those plants within a quarter mile. I see them everywhere, lumbering over houses. Small houses are completely sucked up by them, and large houses seem to have owners who love the opportunity to show how many they can fit into their landscapes. Dirr used to think they were horrible, but now thinks they have some virtues. No.

I must have 8 oakleaf hydrangeas. In that arena I completely agree with Dirr. In size they range from Snow Queen to Snowflake. But I keep adding viburnums. They are such glorious plants and have such a range. Gary and Sue's website can be scary because there are so many options but I send clients there. Gary and Sue are fantastic about talking to clients - they actually ASK to speak with them. Why go to a garden center for the usual suspects when you can easily find 50 you might want. Daunting, but wonderful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.