SOLVED: vegetable id

West Babylon, NY

This was growing where I had cucumbers last year, and so I assumed this was cucumber. It's much thicker than last year's and any cucumber I've seen before.

The last pic is a pumpkin plant, put in by mistake

This message was edited Aug 2, 2020 2:22 PM

Thumbnail by annc2 Thumbnail by annc2 Thumbnail by annc2 Thumbnail by annc2
Richmond, TX

What else did you grow near there? It might be a hybrid.

West Babylon, NY

Thanks for your response. I don't remember growing anything related last year. I let a pumpkin rot in the ground two years ago and found a pumpkin plant growing in the lawn. I moved it and it's starting to produce flowers now. They aren't near each other. I don't even know when this vegetable is ready to eat!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

As porkpal said it's a hybrid cucumber. Cucumbers can't cross with their cucurbit relatives such as pumpkins, squash or melons but pollen from another type can travel long distances.

I gave a friend Sumter cucumber seed, a pickling type, last year and he also grew lemon cukes, a small yellow/green ball type. He has a plant with lemon colored pickling cukes this year and gave me one to try.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
West Babylon, NY

Wow, that is fascinating. I have many, many bees in my garden. I wonder ho to tell when it's ready to eat.

West Babylon, NY

The texture of the skin has changed. This is how it looks now.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2020 8:54 AM

This message was edited Aug 10, 2020 8:55 AM

Thumbnail by annc2

Hmm, a melon of some kind.

West Babylon, NY

It's looking more like a cantaloupe. I didn't realize and find it very interesting that cantaloupes start out smooth. The original picture is from 6 days ago, and that's how quick the texture of the skin changed. I also didn't expect that a cantaloupe would be so oval. Anyone else's input would be appreciated.

Google "netted melons" to see if there is one that most resembles yours. Cantaloupe is a good guess.

West Babylon, NY

I compared to a store bought cantaloupe and it's definitely more oval, and actually has more of a textured netting than the store bought. I'm going to wait until it comes off easily from the vine before i cut open.

Thumbnail by annc2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.