SOLVED: Mystery Tree sapling

Kingston, NY

Found 3 of these growing in my garden (upstate NY). This is the largest of the 3. Looks like a tree sapling, but I'm unable to identify it. Depending on what it is, I might want to dig it up and relocate it to a new home in my yard.

Any help is appreciated. I've searched online and while some things look similar, nothing matches exactly right.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2020 11:01 PM

Thumbnail by TofuDragon Thumbnail by TofuDragon
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It reminds me of papaya plants that came up in our compost bin years ago. Winter took care of those tropical plants in a hurry.

Kingston, NY

Wow!! I googled papaya sapling... That looks exactly like what I have!!
Obviously not native to NY which is why this was so tricky...

Found this pic on google that looks exactly like my pics...
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/asQWatKD94Q/maxresdefault.jpg

hcmdole, I think you got it! Thank You!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear that. I thought maybe it was mulberry after I wrote my first post but the leaves just didn't line up with mulberry.

Here is a picture of two papaya volunteers in our compost bin years ago. I guess the seeds will grow if they hit the right spot. Not a big fan of papaya but the leaves are pretty cool. It is fun growing some grocery bought items - dragon fruit, ginger (hardy for us but we don't eat the rhizomes), pomegranate (this is hardy in our zone but hasn't bloomed since I put them in the ground 3 to 4 years ago), and even got a pineapple to grow from seed harvested from the fruit.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.