Old Weather sayings.....

Crossville, TN

This months Reader's Digest has an article on weather signs. Thought it would be fun to see what all "signs of weather" we each remember.

The old standards:
Red sky at night, sailors delight.
Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning!

and...weather telling cows:

Tails to the West, the weather's the best; tails to the East, the weather's the least.

Do you know any?

Jo

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Ring around the moon, it will rain. The amount of stars in the ring means how many days of rain.
Count the heavy frosts in August and that's how many snows in January. (this one never works for us, we have fog everyday in August and only one or two snows in January)
Clouds over a frost means snow within a week.
If it starts raining on a new moon, it will rain till the next new moon.
If it rains on the 4th of July it will rain every weekend till Labor Day.

Crossville, TN

Calalily, there are some in there that are new to me...how about:

Heavy dew in the morning light, shows no rain before the night.

We used to call the little spider webs in the grass that had dew on them..."Fairies hung out their wash", and KNEW it would not rain that day! Jo

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

It will be a bad winter if the leaves fall before they change colors.
If it rains on Easter Sunday it will rain every Sunday for 7 weeks .
Cows huddled together means a storm is coming.
Rain before seven shine before eleven.

Onion skins thin
mild winter coming in
onions skins thick and tough
winter will be cold and rough

Crossville, TN

When window won't open and salt clogs the shaker,
the weather will favor the umbrella maker.

Does anyone know how to read the stripes on a Wolly Worm...I get it mixed up...More black than brown??? Jo

There are so many!

Swallows fly high its going to be dry,
Swallows fly low its going to blow

Mackrel sky, mackrel sky,
Never long wet, never long dry.
(Mackrel sky is when the clouds form a light, even, slanting pattern)

(Referring to the leaves in Spring)
Oak before the Ash,
We're sure to get a splash,
Ash before the Oak,
We're sure to get a soak.

If clouds look like rocks and towers,
The earth will be refreshed by frequent showers.

Rain before 7, sunshine by 11

Rain in May makes good hay

April showers makes May flowers

Ice in November to bear a duck,
Winter will be slush and muck.

St Swithin’s Day, if it does rain
Full forty days, it will remain
St Swithin’s Day, if it be fair
For forty days, it will rain no more
(St Swithern's Day is 15th July)

One from the West Midlands (where I'm from) is:

It's black over Bill's mothers

This mean storms coming up from the south (Bill in the rhyme is William Shakespeare)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

German version of:
Red sky at night, sailors delight.
Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning!

Abend rot bringt butter und brot.
Morgen rot bringt hunger und not.

Translated:
Evening red brings butter and bread
Morning red brings hunger and need.

Thought you might find that interesting :o)

Crossville, TN

We have a very smart bunch of people on here! Thanks...ya'll "larn" me something every day...and I NEED it! Jo

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

JO I get the wolly worm one messed up too. I know if the stripes are different thickness etc it means one thing and the different colors mean something. Geez I heard that the whole time I was little my dad was a firm beliver in the signs of nature and always planted by the moons etc.

Crossville, TN

Me too Mystic...and my Grandmother swore by the Farmer's Almanac...but if you told her she believed in Astrology she would wipe the grin off your face! They never had dental work done when the signs were in the "head", nor weaned a baby when the signs were in the "stomach". The Wolly Worm: HMMM...was it if they were black on both ends it was going to be a hard winter? HEY! some one help us out here! Jo

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

When a tree shows the back of it's leaves, it will rain in 24 hours.
When the grass is dry in early morning, it will rain in 24 (or 48) hours.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

My granny use to say if it rained while the sun was shining that it would rain at the same time the next day! Doesn't happen that offen but it usually does rain the next day around the same time.
I don't guess this is weather related but, have you ever dug a hole and not have enough dirt to fill it back up?? or dug a hole and had too much dirt left over??
My father use to say it was all to do with the timing of the moon. There would be times when he would dig a hole for a fence post and the post would never be stable...and other times when he would dig a hole for a post and it would be soo stout(sp?) that it never wiggled at all?!!
Again he said it was all because of the moon! Strange huh??

Crossville, TN

My Grampa always said you plant root vegetables during the "dark of the moon"......and when the "signs" were in the FEET!

These were in the Reader's Digest too....
When ditches and ponds offend the nose,
watch for rain and stormy blows.

Heavy dew in the morning light,
shows no rain before the night.

Sea Gull, sea gull, sitting on the sand,
it's a sure sign of rain when you're on the land.
Jo

Jo

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

For some weird reason totally beyond my comprehension, my grandparents believed that if you killed a snake and hung it on the fence with it's underside up, it would bring rain within 24 hours. Poor things, they also thought all snakes were bad and to be killed on sight. If the crows were in the corn field between noon (dinnertime) and sundown, it meant morning rain. Maybe because the crows felt the rain coming and knew feeding would be more difficult so they stocked up?

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

If the brown section of the woolly worm (between the black ends) is long, the winter will be mild. A narrow brown band means a long, cold winter is ahead.

Crossville, TN

Well! It takes a Virginian to get it right....Thanks Carol...now I will know what to expect if I see a wooly worm! Jo

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Usually I see several wollyworms every fall. This year I didn't see any. What does that mean?

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Uh oh, the ones I saw were out in the pasture, and most were crawling fast like they knew where they were going. They were all covered with black fur. I've heard that if you have a large acorn crop it will be a hard and long winter. Haven't noticed many acorns at all.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Heavens to mergatroid...ya'll got me scared to death now! I seem to have every dadgum sign ya'll mentioned all around me! Am 'fraid to death to peek out the window! 'Fraid to look down for fear of seeing a woolly worm! Got my hat on with the widest brim so it'll keep me from looking up at the clouds! Seems like more'n half of my windows stick too tight and I always have to keep 'bout a half-pound of rice in my salt shakers to get 'em to pour salt! (Thanks for the warning RR, I'm sure I'm gonna have monsoons moving in here any minute now!)
Mercy me! What with the 'words of wisdom' from around these parts I understand "if it thunders in the winter then expect snow nine days later"! I can just hear the latest words about me...
..."LOCAL MAN wearing all his winter clothes, a raincoat, two umbrellas, and grasping the Farmer's Almanac squishes giant wooly worm between his toes, falls down faint knocking his extra-large hat off and now lays face-up on the ground murmuring something about the cloud formations! Update at 11:00".

(Ya'll are sure causing me some woration here!)

Crossville, TN

Oh Shoe! I'm so sorry that we are a vextation to your sweet slef! have you taken in to condiseration about the "Mackeerel sky, rain is nigh"??...or "a ring around the moon or sun, and rain approaches on the run"??....you better run back in and get your "waders". RR/Jo

Crossville, TN

Want to know more about the "woollyworm"? They even have their own website! Jo

http://woollyworm.com/

Waconia, MN(Zone 4a)

An Indian was asked whether it was going to be tough or easy winter and he responded a really tough winter because white man build heap big wood pile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images