SOLVED: Dieffenbachia vs Aglaonema

Singapore, Singapore

I'm getting a new cat, and I know dieffenbachia are toxic to cats, so please help me determine which this is so I can move it outdoors if need be! Thanks :)

Thumbnail by sabrinahatake
Bretten, Germany

All Dieffenbachias are toxic and not just for cats. Especially the drops at the tip of the leaves are poisonous for humans!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2020 3:06 PM

Singapore, Singapore

Quote from suse :
All Dieffenbachias are toxic and not just for cats. Especially the drops at the tip of the leaves are poisonous for humans!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2020 3:06 PM

I didn't know that, thank you! Would you say that this is a dieffenbachia though?

San Francisco, CA

No, that is an Aglaonema.

Bretten, Germany

Quote from Vestia :

Vestia, you are right.
Dieffenbachia and Aglaonema are in the same family and I found this translated with Google from German to English:

The cob thread (Aglaonema commutatum) is a houseplant from the Araceae family. It reaches a height of up to 50 centimeters and has a branched trunk. The cob thread has elongated, green leaves with gray-green stripes. The flowers consist of a white flower bulb with a white bract. The fruits are yellow or red berries.

The leaves of the cob thread are highly poisonous for animals. They contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and oxalic acid, which can irritate and damage the animal's mucous membranes. Bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and kidney damage are possible. Signs of poisoning include saliva, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea, and vomiting. In severe cases, convulsions and irregular heartbeat can occur. If your animal has nibbled on a cob thread, it is advisable to consult a veterinarian immediately.

San Francisco, CA

Quote from suse :
Quote from Vestia :

Vestia, you are right.
Dieffenbachia and Aglaonema are in the same family and I found this translated with Google from German to English:

The cob thread (Aglaonema commutatum) is a houseplant from the Araceae family. It reaches a height of up to 50 centimeters and has a branched trunk. The cob thread has elongated, green leaves with gray-green stripes. The flowers consist of a white flower bulb with a white bract. The fruits are yellow or red berries.

The leaves of the cob thread are highly poisonous for animals. They contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and oxalic acid, which can irritate and damage the animal's mucous membranes. Bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and kidney damage are possible. Signs of poisoning include saliva, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea, and vomiting. In severe cases, convulsions and irregular heartbeat can occur. If your animal has nibbled on a cob thread, it is advisable to consult a veterinarian immediately.

With all due respect, Suse (your plant ID skill is amazing)
The translation leaves something to be desired.
Do you have references for the toxic effects? Medical or veterinary references?
I have every major reference on toxic plants including the two veterinary books. I can find no cases of poisoning from Aglaonema sp.
Yes, all aroids have compounds containing oxalid acid crystals, but very few result in animal poisonings.
Dieffenbachias are one of the few highly toxic aroids that result in poisonings of pets.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2020 3:51 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.