Morning Glories 2020 #11

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry to hear you are fighting a cold Helena. Praying you are feeling better soon.

Gautier, MS

I am getting better from this cold slowly.
Busy fun day. Took pictures of a ton of indica blooms that are still open from yesterday, lighter in color of coarse.
Then of my butterflies eclosed so I waited till my great grand daughter came home from school to let her let them go outside.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful photos Helena. Those butterflies are awesome.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Amazing variation in color of your pretty indica blooms Helena, especially that first collage.
Beautiful butterfly pics

This message was edited Nov 20, 2020 11:04 AM

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie.
I see a few more indica blooms, no pictures yet.
I let this butterfly go around 10 am when it warmed up. Do think he headed South.
I have another one that eclosed but have to see how active it is before I let it go. They need at least 3 hours to dry their wings.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful clear picture Helena.

They are such beautiful and delicate creatures.
Thanks for raising them.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
I let my g grand daughter release a female on Friday. I was going to released this male yesterday but he was not ready. He flew in a circle twice and returned to the bush. I'll let him go today after 10am.
Indica still having blooms on ground.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Lovely indica bloom Helena.
Are you using a cell phone camera? If so, it's taking great pictures.

I agree. Beautiful photos.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
Yes, I use my cell phone to take the picture cuz it's more convenient for me to do so.
None today though.

Gautier, MS

Loads of indica again this morning.
Let 2 more monarch butterflies go this afternoon. One let me take lots of pictures but the 2nd one flew off as soon as I placed him on the leaves, so just had 1 good pic of him on the couch.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Beautiful Indica's Jackie, all those variations of colors. You Monarch is beautiful. the first one is female, the second is a male.

Beautiful indicas' Helena. The 2nd day blooms are really pretty in the combination of 2 colors. Love your monarch pics.
My ochracea opened it's first bloom today. In the pot with the black eyed susie
Couldn't get a good pic of my thanksgiving cactus
Spec mg bloom yesterday.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Beautiful photos Jackie.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Thanks Linda.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
Beautiful bloom on your ochracea Jackie. I love the yellow color. I need to start one soon. Pretty blooms on your cactus and your special mg is gorgeous too.
I have 4 more butterflies to let go but the weather is not good. It was gloomy yesterday, then it rained and we are still getting a bit of rain and it's supposed to get a freeze on Monday.

Thanks Helena.
I don't know much about butterflies as far as where they go in the winter.
Do they hibernate?
I had a couple more ochracea's open yesterday, but the sun was so bright
it didn't make for a good pic.
Oxalis in the floor of the g house with huge leaves.
Pencil tree needs repotting, hasn't had any fresh potting mix in years.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Beautiful photos Jackie. That pencil tree is different. Don't think I have seen them.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I'm not sure about other butterflies but the monarchs are supposed to travel, migrate to warmer climates. Late females lay eggs, I've seen ones that looked to ragged to make it. I've also heard of people saying not to rake leaves, but that's hard to do.
Beautiful yellow achrocea bloom. Neat oxalis and pencil plant.
I let my four butterflies go yesterday. Took loads of pictures but on the same plant so hard to tell one from the others. I think one female and maybe 3 males. I had one more eclose today but it's raining so will have to see if it warms up .

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Thanks Linda.
The pencil tree is in the Euphorbia family, like the Poinsettia.
I've had this one for 20 yrs.

Thanks for the plant information Jackie.
Helena, those monarch butterflies are beautiful.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda.
That is a long time to have a plant Jackie.
We had our first freeze yesterday. I did get most of my plants into the greenhouse on Sunday. Then finished on Monday. Left lots of pots outside to go dormant. I just had too many plants this year. I still have my last monarch butterfly, I did put her outside on a flower bush outside and she just stayed there for a couple of hours. So I brought her in hoping it warms up where she can fly off. Feeding her with orange and strawberries.

Glad you got all your plants in that you needed to Helena. Wish I could leave a few of mine out to go dormant but worried i would lose them.
We've had the freezing temps too
Hope it warms up there so you can release your monarch today.

We have had freezing temps as well. All my plants are in the ground, so its do or die for them. Roses, bougainvillea and mexican petunias. All are pretty hardy.
Is this a Salvia plant?

Thumbnail by taters55

It was in front of the eye doctor today. It is a beautiful dark purple.

Linda, its lovely whatever it is.

Gautier, MS

Linda that is a salvia, probably one that's called black and blue which is pretty common for sale.
I let my butterfly go 2 days ago when it was warming up and no wind. Took a last picture of it. These morning glories are from yesterday, the light ones in color are from the day before. We had good rain storm last night. I am winter sowing seeds outside for seeds that need a bit of cold spell.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Nice to see those pretty blooms this morning Helena..
I had a lovely ochracea bloom yesterday but didn't have
my camera with me.

Beautiful blooms Helena. Thank you for raising the monarchs.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.
I'm kind of glad to take a break from having monarch caterpillars. I need to cut back some of the last batch of milkweed b/c I think they were sprayed for bugs by either Lowes or from they bought from.
It's been raining here and cold so I'm not going outside much unless it warms up.
Hope you guys are doing ok.
I'm thinking of going through some purpurea seeds and sowing them in my gh.

Good morning.
We are doing good here. Trying so hard to avoid getting this virus going around. So far we are good. Just bored.

Cold nights here but warming up nice during the day.
Worried this morning, my backyard cat is missing and I heard a loud noise like something jumping up on my back porch at 330 this morning. I sleep right there on the sofa so it woke me up
When it happened, the heat lamp was swinging back and forth (thats over her bed) like she was was surprised in her sleep.. We've been calling and calling but no sign of her,.
Her back yard is closed off so it would have had to be something that could jump the fence. Hope it just scared her and she's hiding somewhere, maybe just a stray tom cat.

Ochracea yesterday

Thumbnail by patootie

Praying you cat returns quickly.

Beautiful yellow Ochracea bloom.

Thanks Linda.
Our cat came out of hiding this afternoon. We were so relieved to see her,
Tonight she won't get on her warm electric blanket.
Too scared now because of whatever got after her.
We'll just keep trying to get her back up on her porch. Hubby closed the deck in just for the cats to have a dry place to eat and sleep. I guess if she gets cold enough, she;ll get back in her bed,

Glad to hear she came home.

Thanks Linda, we're so relieved.

Gautier, MS

Glad your cat came back Jackie. It'll probably take her a bit to get over that fear of what tried to get her. I had one of my cats refuse to go outside for awhile when that happened to him too. His back to normal now.
Beautiful ochracea Jackie. I really love that yellow color. Wish there was more ipomoeas mgs with yellow colors.
I soaks my seeds and ready to get them in ready pots in gh. I'm not going to baby them this time.

Thanks Helena. I've got a front yard cat doing the same thing, won't get on'
her warm blanket. Something has scared her too . just hoping she will finally get cold enough to start using her bed again.
Helena, I love ochracea too. If we had a bunch of yellow blooming mg's, then
ochracea wouldn't be so special.. I've been trying to hand pollinate to get some seeds. I only got 4 or 5 seeds from her last spring..
Your purps should be able to take some neglect, they're tougher than nils..

This message was edited Dec 12, 2020 10:34 AM

Gautier, MS

It has warmed up here last too days, not as cold but expecting rain.
I've been trying to get things done outside so that I'm tired and take a break the next day. Don't even feel like turn on my slow computer.
Jackie, ochracea will always be special yellow mg.
Here are a few of my special mgs from 2008 (?) blooms.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images